2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

7 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Lions signing Kevin Zeitler to a 1 year deal to fill Jonah’s spot. Or at least provide competition for Sorsdal, Rookie etc. 

This is a really smart signing by the Lions.  Kevin Zeitler is still playing at a very high level.  It will also help Colby Sorsdal and any young interior lineman to have him in the room.  This is a great set-up for the draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-zeitler-to-sign-with-lions

Edited by Just Want A Title

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I am guessing the thought process is that they get a guy they really like and can try him in their system.  If he works out and want's to stay, we have the best shot at keeping him.  If he doesn't stay and wants to sign elsewhere then we likely will be in the market for a comp pick the next year after he signs elsewhere.  I have a feeling we never will be huge players in the free agent game, especially once we have to start paying our own guys.  So this gives us a chance to add picks in the future.  

Now I am not saying thats smart or the best plan of action (I would have preferred Fuller at a cheaper deal and no draft pick) but that doesn't mean its wrong.  I know Holmes is particular about the CBs he adds, but to this point other than Branch, we haven't had much luck with them.  So this will either show he is right in being selective or show they need to rethink their approach to the position.  

Fuller would have been a far superior choice. 

Let's hope he can at least be a #2 

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Green Bay added Xavier McKinney and Josh Jacobs.  They lost Darnell Savage, John Runyan Jr and Aaron Jones.  McKinney is an upgrade for sure.  Josh Jacobs is a solid RB but averaged 3.5 yards per carry last year.  One thing you can say about the Packers is that they have a ton of draft capital this year but that doesn't translate to on-field success (see oft-injured  Christian Watson).

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-2024-free-agency-rundown-here-s-the-latest

The Bears added Keenan Allen, Coleman Shelton, Kevin Byard, D'Andre Swift and Gerald Everett.  Byard is a good safety but will be 31 when the season starts.  Gerald Everett is #2TE for the Bears and will be 30 years old when the season starts.  Keenan Allen will be 32 years old when the season starts and will be playing for a cold-weather team for the first time in his career.  D'Andre Swift had one big year that happened to be in his contract year (funny coincidence).  They also have 4 draft picks this year.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/chi/chicago-bears

The Bears signed some good but aging veterans but cut their draft class to 4-selections in a very deep draft and have a new OC.  The Packers have made one upgrade with the Xavier McKinney signing and do have the opportunity to add a lot of young talent but nothing is set in stone with them.  They have a new DC as well.

You are leaning really far in front of the skis with the assumptions of improvements with the Bears and the Packers. 

Never said GB improved. I said they kept pace with Detroit. Nothing Detroit did moves them ahead of where they were with GB last year

Both Det and GB have done nothing to change their position with one another and are 1a/1b right now 

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

One thing to consider with Chicago:  How does the handling of Justin Fields by the coaching staff and how things were handled by Ryan Proles go over in the locker room?  As we have seen with the Lions how an organization handles itself can make a big difference in the locker room as well as wins and losses.

They handled it exceptional and Fields is happy as can be about getting his choice where to go 

2 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Kevin Zeitler made the Pro Bowl last year.

Pro bowl is a joke. Using that to prove talent is funny. I honestly need a good chuckle though so that's appreciated. 

Pro bowl is a three ring circus and not sure what's worse the NBA or NFL 

If this was 2021 I would be enthused. It's not a bad deal just nothing to get excited about 

Edited by detfan782004

35 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

This is a really smart signing by the Lions.  Kevin Zeitler is still playing at a very high level.  It will also help Colby Sorsdal and any young interior lineman to have him in the room.  This is a great set-up for the draft.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/kevin-zeitler-to-sign-with-lions

This is a really smart move and one I had considered for my latest mock. Holmes doesn't like going into the draft with holes at any position. Zeitler can start. The Lions could also take the best guy on the table, even if that person happens to play OL. 

28 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

They left him dangling in the wind for most of the regular season.  That is not something that sits well with a fair number of people.

Maybe fans but players know the business. When a team gives you trade options and take less in a trade so you get to go to your choice....players love that. 

4 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Maybe fans but players know the business. When a team gives you trade options and take less in a trade so you get to go to your choice....players love that. 

I heard Chicago turned down a couple first, and chose to get a future 6th to protect Fields feelings.