2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

Rod Wood has confirmed the team will release new uniforms before the draft. Some local media have speculated that they might buy it wasn't confirmed (?). However, we know it's happening for sure now. 

Apparently the WCF patch will be treated differently. 

>>> New jerseys will be revealed on April 18th

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Rod Wood has confirmed the team will release new uniforms before the draft. Some local media have speculated that they might buy it wasn't confirmed (?). However, we know it's happening for sure now. 

@Karnage84 is a bot, confirmed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idoubtit said:

Brock Wright signed an offer sheet from the 9ers. We have 5 days to match but I haven't seen what they offered.

He has been a pretty solid player and come through at some critical moments for the Lions.  Given Sam LaPorta's rise I can see why they may want to limit their investment in TE#2.  Still, he is one of those "lunch pail" players that every team needs.  Hopefully, Brock Wright finds the best situation for himself, whether it be in Detroit or San Francisco.

Wrights offer from 9ers is reported to be 3 years at $12m. No way I'd pay that but I'm still not sure how it is structured and how much is guaranteed. I doubt the hit will be $4m in year one.

The offer could be $2m in year 1, $3m in year 2, $4m in year 3, and a $3m signing bonus with $5m guaranteed. I'm that case the cap hit in year 1 would be $3m which is only slightly more than what we already offered.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, idoubtit said:

Wrights offer from 9ers is reported to be 3 years at $12m. No way I'd pay that but I'm still not sure how it is structured and how much is guaranteed. I doubt the hit will be $4m in year one.

Seems reasonable to me. I'd like to thank the 49ers for  going threw the efforts of negotiating Wright's contract for us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

Seems reasonable to me. I'd like to thank the 49ers for  going threw the efforts of negotiating Wright's contract for us. 

The Lions don't really have another proven blocking TE on the roster.  A decent argument could be made that he was a bit under-utilized in the passing game.  He has shown reliable hands and made some big catches in critical moments. If they match the 49rs offer, it seems like they would have some plans for him to be a little more involved than he was last year.  That should help keep Sam LaPorta fresh as well.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions don't really have another proven blocking TE on the roster.  A decent argument could be made that he was a bit under-utilized in the passing game.  He has shown reliable hands and made some big catches in critical moments. If they match the 49rs offer, it seems like they would have some plans for him to be a little more involved than he was last year.  That should help keep Sam LaPorta fresh as well.

I'd prefer to keep Wright and upgrade the TE3 from Mitchell. Agree with @idoubtit on the questions surrounding the terms of the structure of the deal. 

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'd prefer to keep Wright and upgrade the TE3 from Mitchell. Agree with @idoubtit on the questions surrounding the terms of the structure of the deal. 

James Mitchell was a bit of an enigma last year.  He flashed late in his rookie season after getting healthy and showed very reliable hands as well as a knack for moving the chains.  He just disappeared last year though.  Weird.

If the deal does include $6 Million in guaranteed money, I suspect the 49rs have a plan to use him beyond what the Lions have done to date.  

Edited by Just Want A Title

We still have Zylstra and Mitchell as TE depth and Skipper has played as an extra blocking TE.  I know the staff was high on Zylstra before getting hurt last year and Mitchell still has a lot of upside given this is really just his second offseason.  I think we let Wright go and maybe add a TE late or in UDFA to compete with Mitchell and Zylstra for depth roles.  

On 3/28/2024 at 10:56 PM, Karnage84 said:

I wonder if the team sticks with the alternate helmets?