2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

2 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Yes makes that trade worse if they can't extend him 

2 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Seriously? His future with the team as in if he has one. Seemed pretty straight forward. 

Detroit seems primed to have a quiet '25 offseason besides signing their own. If they don't sign him it's because he wasn't a fit. He will sign somewhere else and we'll get a comp pick.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, General Tso said:

Detroit seems primed to have a quiet '25 offseason besides signing their own. If they don't sign him it's because he wasn't a fit. He will sign somewhere else and we'll get a comp pick.

That’s true if he has a really good season and prices himself out it likely means we’ll be getting a 3rd or 4th rd comp back for him. If it’s a 3rd comp for a late 3rd only talking about a 5-12 draft slots.  I think he’s vastly underrated and could have a big year in this system.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

Seriously? His future with the team as in if he has one. Seemed pretty straight forward. 

I wouldn't say it was THAT straightforward. The Lions have a few other bigger contracts to work out before looking at Davis'. This was going to be a thing from the day they traded for him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I wouldn't say it was THAT straightforward. The Lions have a few other bigger contracts to work out before looking at Davis'. This was going to be a thing from the day they traded for him. 

I wonder if he is betting on himself at this point.  We may have tried to extend him but honestly his value is at a low point right now.  If he has a good year he likely can make himself a bunch of money.  I still think its a risk to re-sign him longer term not knowing how he fits in our system or if AG leaves if he will fit in the next system but if he were to sign at his current market value for another two years or so, I would do it.  

That being said, I still feel like we overpaid to get him given Snead was moved for a similar pick and the fact we helped Tampa with their cap situation.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It is great to see the city of Detroit benefit from the Lions winning way.  They are estimating the benefits to be between $150 million and $175 million.  Awesome for Detroit!!

Detroit sees record hotel revenue for draft week - NBC Sports

I think the draft would have generated good revenue even if they were not this good. It always generates revenue 

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I suppose the contract extension for Christian Barmore will be a starting point for any contract talks for Alim McNeil.

Patriots signing DT Christian Barmore to four-year, $92 million contract extension (msn.com)

McNeil not on same tier. So it would need to be less. If McNeil has a bigger year this year I could see it 

7 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

McNeil not on same tier. So it would need to be less. If McNeil has a bigger year this year I could see it 

I think McNeil could play himself into a Christian Wilkins contract, so I'd rather get him ahead of time.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

That is why it is called a starting point.  I suspect his agent is going to be doing his best to compare Alim McNeil Barmore and Wilkins.

44 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

I strongly disagree with this statement.  Barmore had similarly meh years his first couple of years and then had a good year this year earning the contract.  Alim was rated higher on PFF, had close to as many sacks, and is a better run defender.  

I would say the biggest difference is that Barmore played more DE than Alim did.  

If Alim has another year like he had, he will likely end up getting a top5 DT contract and price himself out of staying in Detroit.