Bears release Jackson and Whitehair

AZBearsFan

Liked both quite a bit, but was definitely time, especially for Whitehair. At least with EJ we still got flashes - Whitehair has been a sinking ship for a few years and in 2023 it was as though that sinking ship got hit by a torpedo. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Liked both quite a bit, but was definitely time, especially for Whitehair. At least with EJ we still got flashes - Whitehair has been a sinking ship for a few years and in 2023 it was as though that sinking ship got hit by a torpedo. 

Yeah Jackson was still talented but just never got his hands on the ball as well as he did when he was younger…Whitehair was a guy stealing a salary for a few years who we all probably thought was better than he actually was just because of some of the trash around him…that said he was an excellent leader and a guy who played wherever we needed him to when we needed him too…

Neither guy could possibly stay given their salaries and the Bears do them a solid by releasing them early before FA starts.

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

EJax should be able to start somewhere next year, Whitehair will be bottom roster depth somewhere.

Somebody will try to improve their team by adding some White hair. It's a bold strategy, Cotton, as the league favors guys whose hair still produces pigment, we'll see if it works out for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I hope he gets to go to a place like SF or BAL and be a reserve OG for a team that can threaten for a title. Dude gave over 100 starts for the franchise, but he needed replaced (and he probably needed a change of scenery too).

• Like 1

Jackson had probably 2nd best season at safety in Bears history in 2018 (after Mike Brown SB year). 

Whitehair had some really good years at G.  C wasn't his position, but they kept shoehorning him in there due to poor drafting and vet signings.

Daniels not sticking at C was a tough break for team with ramifications lasting to this day.   I think that was a team/coaching failure  since he was drafted with intention to be the C.  I thought that was an amazing draft pick at time.  Then they chose to stick him G to learn which I believe was a mistake.  I think they should have given him trial by fire until he got it and then moved him if he couldn't hack it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Jackson had probably 2nd best season at safety in Bears history in 2018 (after Mike Brown SB year). 

Whitehair had some really good years at G.  C wasn't his position, but they kept shoehorning him in there due to poor drafting and vet signings.

Daniels not sticking at C was a tough break for team with ramifications lasting to this day.   I think that was a team/coaching failure  since he was drafted with intention to be the C.  I thought that was an amazing draft pick at time.  Then they chose to stick him G to learn which I believe was a mistake.  I think they should have given him trial by fire until he got it and then moved him if he couldn't hack it.

Don't overlook the BAMF Gary Fencik in 81 and 79 especially. In 81 he had 6 INTs, a TD, 1 sack, and a miscellaneous amount of tackles since that wasn't tracked. But he was ALWAYS around the ball from what little I saw replayed. I'd be shocked if he didn't have over 100 tackles and 10 TFL.

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Don't overlook the BAMF Gary Fencik in 81 and 79 especially. In 81 he had 6 INTs, a TD, 1 sack, and a miscellaneous amount of tackles since that wasn't tracked. But he was ALWAYS around the ball from what little I saw replayed. I'd be shocked if he didn't have over 100 tackles and 10 TFL.

Gary was definitely underrated as he was surrounded by even better football players.   I was like 8-11 yrs old at time so I didn't really watch him that close.

Wilbur Marshall was my favorite defensive player on '85 Bears.  You know he went to Wash later and led them to a SB winning defense too.

He too is underrated player.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Gary was definitely underrated as he was surrounded by even better football players.   I was like 8-11 yrs old at time so I didn't really watch him that close.

Wilbur Marshall was my favorite defensive player on '85 Bears.  You know he went to Wash later and led them to a SB winning defense too.

He too is underrated player.  

All my views of the 80s badasses were from highlights, VHS tapes for their seasons and stuff like that. I wish I could have seen them when they were rocking. I got into the Bears when Dave Wannstedt was the HC. I was young enough I though he was Ditkas little brother since they both had mustaches. 😆

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

All my views of the 80s badasses were from highlights, VHS tapes for their seasons and stuff like that. I wish I could have seen them when they were rocking. I got into the Bears when Dave Wannstedt was the HC. I was young enough I though he was Ditkas little brother since they both had mustaches. 😆

People that didn't live it don't understand how big and crazy it was.  It started in earnest about 5 or 6 weeks in, when people started realizing this team was special.  

It took over whole area completely and dominated national sports talk. 

Madden called it most fun year of football he ever experienced.  

The Fridge craze.  Every away game opposing fans were taking sledge hammers to fridges.  GI Joe was biggest cartoon and toy of time.  They made a Fridge GI Joe with a football mace.  

Walter Payton chasing all-time rushing record and a SB - this was when RBs were king of football along with QBs.

Every kid in N. IL memorized the SB shuffle including me.  McMahon's battles with commissioner and Ditka.  Buddy Ryan saying crazy meathead things.

They came out with this Oline poster based on Blues Brothers movie and SNL skits.  Every kid had Black and Blues Brothers O line poster on their wall.  

Wild stuff.   

Now a lot of local young kids are actually Packers fans because we haven't been good in so long.  I have them in my church groups.  I tell them how much I love them and that they disgust me.