Joe Alt is the key

famousj

I think you guys are missing the point that Warren will probably be the starting LT or RT. After he got healthy he looked really good. One of the 3 T will fall to 10. The question is can the Jets drop a few spots pick up a second and still get one of the 3. I look at the Raiders and they could move up 3 spots for a QB and we slid down 3 and still get 1 of the 3 and add a 2nd round pick. 

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 9:52 AM, jetfuel34 said:

I think you guys are missing the point that Warren will probably be the starting LT or RT.

Warren only played 6 games.  Hardly worthy of being handed a starting OT position.  We have seen this movie before.  How about, for once, JD hedges his bets and gets more than what he needs on the OL and let them battle it out.  The OL, along with QB,  has been the one of the biggest problems this team has faced for a long time.  We talk about it every year.  ******* fix it already.  Warren should NOT be crowned a starter but he should be given every chance to compete for a starting role.

If the whispers are true, Lord Rodgers will want a vet LT.  I expect JD will give his master just that.  I also expect the pick at 10 to be an OT.  Let the rookie and Warren battle it out for RT.  As for sliding down, I am against it.  I can just see the media bull**** when we drop down a few spots and miss out on the top OT's.  Last year we dropped just one spot and missed out.  Enough already.  Just play it safe and get that top 3 OT.  Besides when has our SRP worked out prior to Tippman and Hall?

2 hours ago, xrade said:

Warren only played 6 games.  Hardly worthy of being handed a starting OT position.  We have seen this movie before.  How about, for once, JD hedges his bets and gets more than what he needs on the OL and let them battle it out.  The OL, along with QB,  has been the one of the biggest problems this team has faced for a long time.  We talk about it every year.  ******* fix it already.  Warren should NOT be crowned a starter but he should be given every chance to compete for a starting role.

If the whispers are true, Lord Rodgers will want a vet LT.  I expect JD will give his master just that.  I also expect the pick at 10 to be an OT.  Let the rookie and Warren battle it out for RT.  As for sliding down, I am against it.  I can just see the media bull**** when we drop down a few spots and miss out on the top OT's.  Last year we dropped just one spot and missed out.  Enough already.  Just play it safe and get that top 3 OT.  Besides when has our SRP worked out prior to Tippman and Hall?

The fall off between the top OL and say someone like Mims isn't as great as some fans may believe, granted Alt, Fashanu are near no miss players. But moving down a few spots and still getting one of the higher rated T's is not a bad thing. As far as I'm concerned the 1st round with some exceptions is a crap shoot. To prove a point, I believe you take the best guy, it doesn't matter the position he plays (with the exception of dire need).

If given the opportunity and I was allowed to pick for the Jets, all the OL needs except for one would be addressed in FA, then take the player who can be more of a difference maker immediately, not a project.

So the Jets drafted Sauce, and Wilson, and Hall, all of them difference makers. If I'm drafting an OL, then IMHO JPJ is my pick, if its DT then Fiske is my pick. Its not where you pick, its who you pick. 

Every year the pundits have redo's on the NFL Draft and half if not more stink or are average at best. So given the opportunity, I sign 2 plug and play guards in FA, Hunt and Zeitler if possible, move AVT to T, leave Pitt at C, and draft a starting calibre T who will be playing for us the next 10 years. 

On 2/24/2024 at 6:45 PM, xrade said:

My fear is that JD will fall into the media GM trap and pass on Fashanu if he is available. 

I’ve seen us passing on him for Bowers in more than one mock, including Kipers. Replacing 3/5 of the offensive line (2 OTs) is no easy task in a year they think they are chasing a ring. Pretty much have to take an OT that can play.

2 hours ago, Big T said:

If given the opportunity and I was allowed to pick for the Jets, all the OL needs except for one would be addressed in FA

Given the amount of cap $ we will have and the other needs besides OL, we will not get any quality OL in FA with your plan. Maybe just barely serviceable. We just do not have the money.

The O will be better this year but not fixed. That will take at least two years. 

2 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

I’ve seen us passing on him for Bowers in more than one mock, including Kipers. Replacing 3/5 of the offensive line (2 OTs) is no easy task in a year they think they are chasing a ring. Pretty much have to take an OT that can play.

If Kiper says we are drafting Bowers then I feel better. That guy has never been right about a Jets top pick. Ever.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, xrade said:

If Kiper says we are drafting Bowers then I feel better. That guy has never been right about a Jets top pick. Ever.

Me too because Bowers does nothing for this team. Then you add that fact that I HATE drafting a TE in he first 3 rounds. What a waste of a pick to take a TE that high. I love it when I see TE go before the Jets, that means guys will fall to them. I would love to see Bowers get picked before the Jets do. That means 3-4 picks will be a QB and Bowers would tak another spot so you really only have 5 guys going in the other spots. This makes it a lot better for one of the 3 T to drop to the Jets. I really hope Alt is there. I think he can be the D'Brick we have been waiting for. 

On 3/1/2024 at 12:14 PM, xrade said:

Given the amount of cap $ we will have and the other needs besides OL, we will not get any quality OL in FA with your plan. Maybe just barely serviceable. We just do not have the money.

The O will be better this year but not fixed. That will take at least two years. 

While I agree with you as far as putting together a top OL in 2 years, I think more like 3 years. As far as money is concerned, restructures, cuts and trades should be considered. I think by the time the dust settles the Jets could have 70-80 million in cap space (don't quote me on those numbers). The Jets could sign 1 or 2 top G in Zeitler/Hunt for a few years (2). See if AVT can stay healthy at G sign a T in FA and grab a T in the draft.

Its really not too hard, yes they may have to over pay, but the league all knows that the Jet D is primo, the O has weapons, and HOF QB. Playing for a contending playoff team that managed to win 7 games last year with arguably the worse OL in the NFL because of injuries. Becton has lost his mobility and the T position has passed him by, Tomlinson be it because he's just bad or just had a bad cast around him was underwhelming. The backups were thrown into the fire and got burned.

So for a F.A. G or T knowing that the Jets have some pieces on the OL in AVT AND Pittman could see the Jets as an opportunity to be the pieces needed to catapult the Jets into the playoffs and beyond.

We’re gonna let Huff walk aren’t we? I get the McDonald pick was basically his long term replacement but it’s still gonna hurt watching a home grown gem walk for nothing but maybe a comp pick.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr.O said:

We’re gonna let Huff walk aren’t we? I get the McDonald pick was basically his long term replacement but it’s still gonna hurt watching a home grown gem walk for nothing but maybe a comp pick.

yes.   Nobody will fork a compensation and give away a big contract just to find out if he can be a full time starter.

I don't think it hurts. What hurt was drafting another edge rusher. But we cannot go back, and I like McDonald. And Johnson is the real deal. So that Huff money needs to be allocated elsewhere to fill needs. No. 4 defensive end is definitely not a need, it is a luxury at this point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr.O said:

I was reading that the market is not that high om him. He think he is getting 15-18 mill when that market is saying 12-13 mill. He is good nut nothing special. McD on the other hand will makr you gys forget about Huff. McD was a great pick. He is getting Huff reps now. 

6 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I was reading that the market is not that high om him. He think he is getting 15-18 mill when that market is saying 12-13 mill. He is good nut nothing special. McD on the other hand will makr you gys forget about Huff. McD was a great pick. He is getting Huff reps now. 

I mean Huff had one of the highest pass rush win rates in the whole league so McDonald has big shoes to fill