Viable Centers by Round

rlon

Rd. 1 Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon - Big, powerful and athletic. I think someone will try and jump the Steelers for this pick, though the Steelers will no doubt send out some confusing vibes as to who their preference is at 20. I think they could be a lot ‘bigger’ on Mims and Van Pran than people think(1 and 3?). JPJ definitely has the potential to be a dominant mover of people, bouncer type with athleticism. Passing on him could lead to years of regret, from a few of us on this board at least (see Creed Humphrey).

Rd. 2 Zach Frazier, West Virginia - Underrated athleticism, in the mold of former Steeler OCs, capable of getting out there and holding leverage if not a dominant mover of people (wrestling them to stalemates). A little short for my taste, arm length will be an important measurement, but he can move and get to the second level without a problem.

Rd. 3 Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia - Good fit for zone scheme, experienced and intelligent player who is solid in pretty much all areas but won’t wow you. He seems to be slipping, many have him available in the third, and I have seen more and more fourth round designations as of late. Not sure I agree with either of those values, as I think he may have gone from overrated to underrated in a matter of a month. I think the floor is high, meaning solid NFL starter for years, which is well beyond what Mason Cole brings. Not as athletic as Pouncey but probably better moving stout players to a degree.

Rd. 4 Beaux Limmer, Arkansas - Taller and leaner than most of these prospects, which follows that he might be the best pass blocker. Head on a swivel, good adjuster going into tax season. Not as heavy in the pants as I’d like, but the last of acceptable centers (I left out Barton because I really don’t know what he is yet, though he will likely go in the first two rounds).

I don’t really have any acceptable players for the Steelers after this, as they are not looking for a backup. Basically, we have two shrimps next and then a host of questionable guys.

Edited by rlon
  • Like 1

I just want to add to my comments on Frazier…I think he is a subtle and smooth mover, and people get the impression that the major concern is his athleticism. I am more concerned about his arm length and pass protection. That looks on tape like it could be problematic in the pros, as he seems to have to reset his hands a lot due to the arm length disadvantage. He was good at the reset and then anchoring, but he likely would have already lost the battle to elite NFL DTs. 

RD1 - JPJ

Late2/Early 3 - Frazier and SVP

Rd 4 - Zak Zitner, I know he's injured but he was really good

Rd 6 - Coleman, Glaze, McCormick (Mason, South Dakota State)

Now, there's the interesting part of this draft - there's legit 3 guys who can really change this ranking.

Graham Barton - I hasn't played C, however if he shows he can in the combine he could jump up there.  He's got short arms so he's going to kick inside no matter what, and he's smart enough to handle the position.

Cooper Beebe - A G at KSU, but he has some C ability.  Again, the question is can he look good snapping the ball and getting out of the stance to be in position.

Christian Haynes - Copy and paste what was said for Beebe.

SO there's 3 guys in this draft who could show in the combine process that they have some C ability and could really change the tone of the draft if people like what they see from that.

• Like 4

I think SVP is going to jump back up boards after the combine.  I think the fact he didn’t t play in the senior bowl caused him to drop amongst the media.  Unless he has some type of red flag whether it be size, speed, or character I think he’ll be a 2nd guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blitzburgh said:

I think SVP is going to jump back up boards after the combine.  I think the fact he didn’t t play in the senior bowl caused him to drop amongst the media.  Unless he has some type of red flag whether it be size, speed, or character I think he’ll be a 2nd guy.

He can only hope to pass Frazier for #2.  I have been saying for months that JPJ is going to do well at the combine and be the #1 center.  I do not see Van Pran beating him.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Daniels was a center in college.  

And was very good at it too. I've wondered why the two teams he's played for haven't tried him there more. I think shifting Daniels over to C would be the easiest and best solution to our line woes. Maybe he doesn't like it? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

And was very good at it too. I've wondered why the two teams he's played for haven't tried him there more. I think shifting Daniels over to C would be the easiest and best solution to our line woes. Maybe he doesn't like it? 

I never understood why Daniels wasn’t made a left guard or center. Isaac now, and Dotson before him, seem more comfortable on the right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rlon said:

I never understood why Daniels wasn’t made a left guard or center. Isaac now, and Dotson before him, seem more comfortable on the right.

To add to this, it is estimated that Dotson is going to get about 16 mill per year soon. If he was more comfortable on the right, and as most of Daniels’ experience was on the left, why didn’t they play them accordingly position wise? You do that, and you draft Creed Humphrey, you aren’t looking for a tackle to make your line hold up better this year, you are now looking for a tackle to make your line the best in the NFL. You have the best line, you have an elite team, it’s that simple…or is it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rlon said:

To add to this, it is estimated that Dotson is going to get about 16 mill per year soon. If he was more comfortable on the right, and as most of Daniels’ experience was on the left, why didn’t they play them accordingly position wise? You do that, and you draft Creed Humphrey, you aren’t looking for a tackle to make your line hold up better this year, you are now looking for a tackle to make your line the best in the NFL. You have the best line, you have an elite team, it’s that simple…or is it?

From what I understand, while center might be Daniels ‘best’ place there are snapping issues with him.  He’s a slower snapper, tends to miss high, and it’s as quick out of his stance.

He’s more natural on the right side than left side.  His hips and right hand are stronger, which you would want out there.  But he is flexible enough to move left if you want him to.

Dodson can say everything he wants about being more comfortable on the right - in the end he played injured A LOT which can impact that.  He had a foot/ankle injury in 2021, core injury in 2022.  Then with Daniels and Semu coming in it was Herbig with L/R ability, a bad Green, or a oft injured Dodson all fighting for the backup spot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AFF said:

Bortolini from Wisconsin seems interesting from a little I got to watch of him snooping around the internet.

Nor sure what round he’d go in…4th or 5th?

I think he goes 5th.  He’s got really short arms.  31 5/8.  Frazier is 32 3/8” and his are considered short.  JPJ is 32 1/8 so interesting there.  

On top of the Bortolini’s snaps aren’t great or snappy.  Often high and slow with poor wrist form.  Looks down when in pass pro and has a tough time blocking on the move.  Career backup IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think he goes 5th.  He’s got really short arms.  31 5/8.  Frazier is 32 3/8” and his are considered short.  JPJ is 32 1/8 so interesting there.  

On top of the Bortolini’s snaps aren’t great or snappy.  Often high and slow with poor wrist form.  Looks down when in pass pro and has a tough time blocking on the move.  Career backup IMO.

Yeah, I was surprised looking up arm length, given that Frazier plays so short armed. JPJ and San Pran would not seem to have long arms at all, if the measurables I saw are accurate. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

They drafted him to be center.  

Pace and Nagy had idea that they wanted him to learn line calls slowly from G position since he came into league young and then move him to C.  They announced plan before spring practice even started. 

Whitehair moved to C.  WH and Trubisky became best buds and Trubisky was vocal about wanting Whitehair to be his center as he was more comfortable with it.

Also there was a season where Daniels struggled in general at G and C.  He just had a bad year.  I think they gave up on him playing C at some point.

From draft they should have put him at C and left him there.  If he couldn’t make line calls a G could have helped him or simply done it.  

It was a dumb plan from get go to move him out of his college position.  They over thought it and set back his career some.

• Like 1