***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

1 minute ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Their scenes together when they were being connected across a distance were outstanding. Daisy Ridley plays off other characters so well because I feel like Finn and Ben are both at their best in their respective scenes with Rey. And while Ridley and Driver were together a lot more this film, which was great, it did partially come at the expense of scenes with her and Boyega which were so great in TFA.

Agreed. I think I'll take that sacrifice that though. I think Star Wars desperately needs a strong character as the villain more than whatever Finn's point is. It is a shame to not have that connection between Ridley and Boyega, especially since the scenes with Finn and Rose are just awful. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Hot Take: I liked all the humor

It was Marvel 101. It's funny the first time (although some bits were more cringey), but it loses value on subsequent viewings. The Marvel formula doesn't hold up so well in the long run. 

On a note unrelated to porgs, I thought the score was great. Not a ton of new totally new content but some great blending of different themes and I think it was all hitting at just the right moment.

There was one bit I think was a new theme that often played with Finn and Rose and I loved that. It was a very Spielbergian sound. 

I also think the first music we hear as the opening crawl fades out is the exact same music we hear when the crawl fades out in ESB and pans over Hoth. It quickly changes but I swear it's almost identical for just 5-10 seconds. 

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Hot Take: I liked all the humor

I liked some of it. I was laughing pretty hard when Luke stuck out the leaf at Rey's hands when she was practicing the force.

The mom joke Poe made felt out of place though and I'm not sure how I feel about Luke just throwing the light saber over his shoulder like it was nothing.

11 minutes ago, RamRod said:

The mom joke Poe made felt out of place though and I'm not sure how I feel about Luke just throwing the light saber over his shoulder like it was nothing.

The shoulder toss felt like Yoda at Dagoba, when he was junking all of Luke's stuff. We were all waiting for this powerful moment from this all wise, all knowing Jedi and...meh, this is junk.

I didn't laugh - I thought to myself "Yeah, Luke ain't happy to get that back."

23 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The shoulder toss felt like Yoda at Dagoba, when he was junking all of Luke's stuff. We were all waiting for this powerful moment from this all wise, all knowing Jedi and...meh, this is junk.

I didn't laugh - I thought to myself "Yeah, Luke ain't happy to get that back."

It definitely makes sense why he did it. Just felt like it was done for a laugh more than anything.

Archived