***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

3 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:
41 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I wish they just ran with the idea of Rey and Kylo taking off together. Not necessarily running the first order, but something. They're two confused kids, it could have been interesting. 

Them running away from both sides and finding their own path, sort of like Kylo said, would have been incredible. 

While I think this would have been a cool path to go down, it would feel like Space Romeo and Juliet. Not a horrible idea, but a known trope.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be too surprised if IX does lend to this eventually. Both are still conflicted, once could turn to the other in a moment of weakness. They introduced the idea - giving it a full movie before acting on it would give it some weight, as in "you were right in Snoke's chamber, let's go" if it were to happen.

1 minute ago, EliteTexan80 said:

While I think this would have been a cool path to go down, it would feel like Space Romeo and Juliet. Not a horrible idea, but a known trope.

Ultimately, I wouldn't be too surprised if IX does lend to this eventually. Both are still conflicted, once could turn to the other in a moment of weakness. They introduced the idea - giving it a full movie before acting on it would give it some weight, as in "you were right in Snoke's chamber, let's go" if it were to happen.

I think that would feel a bit more forced than if they had done it in this movie. I thought they set it up perfectly and going back after missing the chance would feel odd to me. I don't necessarily want them to go Romeo and Juliet but I would love if they just became a team because they understand each other and have this connection (which might have been just Snoke?), I agree with it likely ending up as a love story though because of Disney/Star Wars which would be a disappointment. 

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I do agree that this route runs the risk of being space Romeo and Juliet. I'm more intrigued by the idea of having conflicted force users that dabble with both sides of the force. Kylo still has good in him. Rey clearly isn't scared of the dark side either. Luke has that line about her not even hesitating before going there.

2 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

I do agree that this route runs the risk of being space Romeo and Juliet. I'm more intrigued by the idea of having conflicted force users that dabble with both sides of the force. Kylo still has good in him. Rey clearly isn't scared of the dark side either. Luke has that line about her not even hesitating before going there.

From this sense, you can still go this direction - both of them leaning in one direction or another, but always being different sides, which would illustrate the concept of balance in the force - you can't have light without dark, you can't have dark without light. 

One thing I liked a lot - Luke's take on the Jedi. They were arrogant to think THEY owned the force. This was echoed by Yoda in the prequels, Jedi growing confident and cocky...right before Anakin balanced them out.

Luke sees their hubris in their beliefs, and you even heard Han's influence on Luke as he mocked the hokey religion. 

Luke was more than defeated, he was jaded.

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

From this sense, you can still go this direction - both of them leaning in one direction or another, but always being different sides, which would illustrate the concept of balance in the force - you can't have light without dark, you can't have dark without light. 

It can. I guess the parts that's lacking is that they won't really team up. There's not much for them to fight againat. Adam Driver did a great job in his role. His dynamic with Rey is partially what makes me want more of them. 

1 minute ago, sunnygsm said:

It can. I guess the parts that's lacking is that they won't really team up. There's not much for them to fight againat. Adam Driver did a great job in his role. His dynamic with Rey is partially what makes me want more of them. 

Exactly, they're too good together to not have as much screen time together. They are far and away the strongest thing this trilogy has. 

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

One thing I liked a lot - Luke's take on the Jedi. They were arrogant to think THEY owned the force. This was echoed by Yoda in the prequels, Jedi growing confident and cocky...right before Anakin balanced them out.

Luke sees their hubris in their beliefs, and you even heard Han's influence on Luke as he mocked the hokey religion. 

It seemed to me like he was using the Jedi as a scapegoat while really it was Luke's fault that he lost Ben. I did love Mark Hammil's acting in this movie though, absolutely top notch. 

5 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Luke had a great arc. It wasn't what a lot of people wanted from him, but it was a definite strength of the film. 

His last stand with Kylo will hold up much better than an outright show of power (e.g. prequel Yoda). 

1 minute ago, LeeEvans said:

It seemed to me like he was using the Jedi as a scapegoat while really it was Luke's fault that he lost Ben. I did love Mark Hammil's acting in this movie though, absolutely top notch. 

I know these movies top out at visual/sound effects, but I hope Hammil gets a nomination for best Supporting Actor. His performance was nothing short of perfect.

Flying space Leia had me shooting confused looks to my friends lol, horribly executed

The humor is pretty rough from the very opening "Hux call" scene on 

The entire Finn subplot exists solely because Laura Dern didn't just actually explain her plan for god knows why and allowed Poe to go rogue

And then it turns out we could just kamikaze the big bad ship this whole time? How has that never been done before? lol 

Just now, Jaguarfan said:

Flying space Leia had me shooting confused looks to my friends lol, horribly executed

The humor is pretty rough from the very opening "Hux call" scene on 

The entire Finn subplot exists solely because Laura Dern didn't just actually explain her plan for god knows why and allowed Poe to go rogue

And then it turns out we could just kamikaze the big bad ship this whole time? How has that never been done before? lol 

Agree that the whole lack of communication creating causing a whole terrible side plot was extremely frustrating.

As for the bold, I think it's even weirder since at the end of Rogue One one of the rebel ships just to light speed and goes right into a star destroyer which does absolutely nothing. 

7 minutes ago, LeeEvans said:

Exactly, they're too good together to not have as much screen time together. They are far and away the strongest thing this trilogy has. 

Their scenes together when they were being connected across a distance were outstanding. Daisy Ridley plays off other characters so well because I feel like Finn and Ben are both at their best in their respective scenes with Rey. And while Ridley and Driver were together a lot more this film, which was great, it did partially come at the expense of scenes with her and Boyega which were so great in TFA.

1 minute ago, Coffee & Contemplation said:

Their scenes together when they were being connected across a distance were outstanding. Daisy Ridley plays off other characters so well because I feel like Finn and Ben are both at their best in their respective scenes with Rey. And while Ridley and Driver were together a lot more this film, which was great, it did partially come at the expense of scenes with her and Boyega which were so great in TFA.

Rey on her own is not so interesting to me. But like you said, her strength is how well she plays of others. 

Archived