***SPOILERS*** Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi SPOILER Thread

Deadpulse

10 hours ago, sunnygsm said:

After a second watch the flaws become more apparent. At the same time the highs were more prominent. 

I agree with this, and will follow up with this - I've never watched a movie that has such gaping flaws (StarLeia was particularly bad on a 2nd viewing) that I've so quickly forgiven because the highs were just outstanding (in a universe that has always been black and white/good v evil, Kylo Ren is the perfect blend of gray). 

14 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I actually had to explain this to my wife (who is not as into the universe as I am...)

So they are gonna try to clear questions and plot holes from 2 movies while trying to close the saga out with only a hour and a half of run time? And you think that's gonna work out? How are they gonna fit Snokes back story into that? 

You know this has me scratching my head about all you so called supporters. How are y'all okay with a nobody villain (which essentially what Snoke is now) topples 3 of the greatest heroes of the Star Wars universe. 

16 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

So they are gonna try to clear questions and plot holes from 2 movies while trying to close the saga out with only a hour and a half of run time?

Hour and a half? You really think they're going to shave a full hour off of the length of VIII?

Maybe that's the problem - you left the movie too early.

To answer your question - yes.

17 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How are they gonna fit Snokes back story into that? 

They're not. He's Darth Maul. He's Count Dooku. Tell me about how those stories were fleshed out. Tell me how Sidious was fleshed out in the original three and NOT by benefit of the prequels. 

They weren't. Vader is pretty much the only villain that was given a full story. Kylo looks to be heading down that same path.

18 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How are y'all okay with a nobody villain (which essentially what Snoke is now) topples 3 of the greatest heroes of the Star Wars universe. 

Pretty much every villain in the six Star Wars (save for Vader and Sideous) falls in this model, and I really didn't complain then. 

Did you? If so, you should probably have stop watching around RotJ. You're wasting money at this point.

52 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

CinemaScore was an "A" (same as The Force Awakens and Rogue One), so I don't know haha.

Critics will all give it a good score. However most of the audience hated it. It's about 93% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 53% Audience Score. Usually these two scores go hand in hand. However, when they differ, the audience score is the true score and the critic score is hype/follow the leader. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, he force lightninged the crap out of Kylo with a tiny wave of his hand and toyed with Rey like she was nothing.  He got very arrogant before he died, though.

Which played well into the hubris thing Luke talked about earlier but was just a bad decision overall. How did he get that strong? You can't not answer that.

Regardless of how you view this movie I personally think it's hard to deny this makes TFA worse and there is no way anyone can be more excited for episode 9 after watching this than they were for 8 after watching 7.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:
2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

CinemaScore was an "A" (same as The Force Awakens and Rogue One), so I don't know haha.

Critics will all give it a good score. However most of the audience hated it. It's about 93% on Rotten Tomatoes with a 53% Audience Score. Usually these two scores go hand in hand. However, when they differ, the audience score is the true score and the critic score is hype/follow the leader. 

CinemaScore is an audience score.  That's the overall grade that audience members polled leaving the movie gave it.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

Which played well into the hubris thing Luke talked about earlier but was just a bad decision overall. How did he get that strong? You can't not answer that.

Regardless of how you view this movie I personally think it's hard to deny this makes TFA worse and there is no way anyone can be more excited for episode 9 after watching this than they were for 8 after watching 7.

How did the Emperor get that strong based on knowledge from the OT?  I don't see those complaints from anyone regarding the OT.

I'm much more excited going into Episode IX than I was going into this one.

2 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

So they are gonna try to clear questions and plot holes from 2 movies while trying to close the saga out with only a hour and a half of run time? And you think that's gonna work out? How are they gonna fit Snokes back story into that? 

You know this has me scratching my head about all you so called supporters. How are y'all okay with a nobody villain (which essentially what Snoke is now) topples 3 of the greatest heroes of the Star Wars universe. 

An hour and a half?  Do you think it's going to be a Direct-to-DVD release or something?  How long do you think it will take to explain Snoke (which I don't think we need one, though it would be nice to have it)?  I would say 5 minutes.  Rey's parents could easily be part of the climax of the next movie, as could more of Kylo's fall when we inevitably meet Luke's force ghost.  I mean what do you think the (most definitely) 2h 15m+ run time will be filled with except resolution to the store they've introduced?  You can't honestly think they're going to just introduce a bunch of new stuff while ignoring what they've started...

He is the exact same as Sidious was in the OT, just in the first 2 movies of the trilogy instead of the last 2.  Also...

Snoke didn't topple Luke Skywalker.  If that's how you feel coming out of that movie then I think you need to watch it again.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:51 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

I read something on this, and really liked it - the boy is a symbol and/or reminder that the next great Jedi/Sith isn't going to be a Skywalker or a Solo or even a Kenobi. It's going to be anyone.

I would agree with this, except that he literally uses the Force to grab the broom.  Jedi do it.  Not average rebels.  Throw in the fact that Rian is slated to oversee the next trilogy, plus direct epX is why I brought it up.

Given Carrie Fisher's passing, I wish they would have let her die in space, then had Poe and Laura Dern's character go back and forth instead of Fisher.  perfect way to end her story.

I think I would have preferred Rey and Kilo give it a whirl as grey Jedi or whatever.

I think Kilo only returns to run the First Order because Rey  didn't join him.  If they joined forces, I could see them taking on Hux and the FO for the third movie, and would have been fine with it.

We definitely haven't seen the last of Hamill.  Force ghosts live forever.  Still have hope that Rey is somehow Obi Wan's daughter, and we get a bit of MacGregor in the next, either live or thru ghost form.

I wish that Finn would have carried out the suicide run.  His life ends with meaning.  He needs to have a major part in the next one.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

How did the Emperor get that strong based on knowledge from the OT?  I don't see those complaints from anyone regarding the OT.

I'm much more excited going into Episode IX than I was going into this one.

We eventually got backstory for the emperor though. Seems highly unlikely we'll get that with Snoke. Why? What is there to be excited for?

8 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

We eventually got backstory for the emperor though. Seems highly unlikely we'll get that with Snoke. Why? What is there to be excited for?

So you had no issues with how the OT treated the Emperor by leaving his backstory vague because you knew there'd be movies about it 20 years later?  Horse manure.  That's a horrible excuse to try and make it seem like the OT didn't have the exact same issue.

Archived