Your Draft Hot Takes

Dr LBC

14 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

5. Reggie McKenzie Jr will go top 20.

The rest of your list I like but McKenzie to me didn't look draftable at any point. I watched him a fair amount being on of the best hs recruits from the bay area in a while and never made an impact other than looking good coming off the bus. 

14 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

That take is colder than Santa's Backyard. 

lol well damn I guess I've missed the hype train on Vea. I'm thinking he might be a guy I want the niners to target at 10. Him and Buckner on the interior line with Solomon Thomas and an actual pass rusher would be so nice...

22 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

lol well damn I guess I've missed the hype train on Vea. I'm thinking he might be a guy I want the niners to target at 10. Him and Buckner on the interior line with Solomon Thomas and an actual pass rusher would be so nice...

Nah, I don't think Vita Vea is being pimped as a top 10 pick right now. I think he's viewed by the "famous" scouts as a guy that will go in the 15-25 range. I haven't really seen Mayock, Kiper, McShay, or any of the other popular sources talking about him going top 10. I do get the sense that real NFL execs have him rated very high and he'll end up going top 10 in a lot of mocks, but right now, that take is pretty warm. It's not Hiroshima hot, but it's not like he said Sam Darnold goes in the first round either.

Maybe it's because nobody wants to hear that their team is getting a space eater in the top 10 and pimping skill guys and QB's will generate more buzz...I'm not sure why Vea isn't being discussed as an elite prospect. People were all in on Danny Shelton in 2015 and I think that Vea is significantly better than Shelton was as a prospect.

Also, I find it weird that the 49ers are drafting so many damn DL recently. What's wrong with Arik Armstead? I was never his biggest fan, but I thought he was pretty good for you guys. What does that DL look like right now? My guess?

LE: DeForest Buckner/Arik Armstead

DT: Some middling NT?

RE: Solomon Thomas

It seems like you guys would benefit from a switch to a 4-3. Does Solomon Thomas play 34 OLB to rush or is he a 5-Tech all day? I'd imagine he's a 34 DE/5-Tech, but I'd want Buck/Arik/Thomas all on the field together at once and none of them can play traditional NT. It seems like a bizarre draft plan they've implemented recently unless Armstead has been underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Nah, I don't think Vita Vea is being pimped as a top 10 pick right now. I think he's viewed by the "famous" scouts as a guy that will go in the 15-25 range. I haven't really seen Mayock, Kiper, McShay, or any of the other popular sources talking about him going top 10. I do get the sense that real NFL execs have him rated very high and he'll end up going top 10 in a lot of mocks, but right now, that take is pretty warm. It's not Hiroshima hot, but it's not like he said Sam Darnold goes in the first round either.

Maybe it's because nobody wants to hear that their team is getting a space eater in the top 10 and pimping skill guys and QB's will generate more buzz...I'm not sure why Vea isn't being discussed as an elite prospect. People were all in on Danny Shelton in 2015 and I think that Vea is significantly better than Shelton was as a prospect.

Also, I find it weird that the 49ers are drafting so many damn DL recently. What's wrong with Arik Armstead? I was never his biggest fan, but I thought he was pretty good for you guys. What does that DL look like right now? My guess?

LE: DeForest Buckner/Arik Armstead

DT: Some middling NT?

RE: Solomon Thomas

It seems like you guys would benefit from a switch to a 4-3. Does Solomon Thomas play 34 OLB to rush or is he a 5-Tech all day? I'd imagine he's a 34 DE/5-Tech, but I'd want Buck/Arik/Thomas all on the field together at once and none of them can play traditional NT. It seems like a bizarre draft plan they've implemented recently unless Armstead has been underwhelming.

They did switch to a 4-3

Just now, ohiogenius said:

They did switch to a 4-3

So...

LE: Armstead

UT: Buckner

NT: Some random

RE: Thomas

Where does Tank Carradine fit into all of this? I thought he was a pretty important player for SF this past season. I only watched 1 SF game this year and was trying not to die on a treadmill during it, so I didn't pay much attention to their scheme.

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

So...

Where does Tank Carradine fit into all of this? I thought he was a pretty important player for SF this past season. I only watched 1 SF game this year and was trying not to die on a treadmill during it, so I didn't pay much attention to their scheme.

Carradine is a free agent but he would be 5T depth if re-signed.  If we go by what Saleh wants, the the front would look like

5T: Buckner, Blair

1T: Mitchell, DJ Jones

3T: Thomas, Day

LEO: Armstead

Armstead was asked by our DC Robert Saleh to drop weight (~15lbs) and play LEO.  Once the season started, the plan didn't really work out and Saleh ended up swapping around Buckner, Armstead, and Thomas.  When Armstead went down, Thomas slid to LEO and Buckner over to 3T. 

Armstead had a torn labrum in his left shoulder his rookie season in 2015 and played through the back half of the season with it.  He re-aggravated that same injury during training camp the next season and, again, attempted to play through it with a harness.  He was eventually IR'd in the middle of the season so he could get surgery.  He broke his hand this past season and doctors required him to have surgery, effectively shutting him down for the year.  Our fans were calling him out for the injuries and Armstead had to tweet out to people to let them know he was told he couldn't play with a club.  He's been an effective interior pass rusher and I'd prefer to see him at 5T with Buckner at 3T.  

As for Thomas, ugh... where do I begin.  He's a project.  We knew it when we drafted him.  Ask me right now to evaluate Thomas, he's pretty much what you imagine, a 34DE/5-tech built to hold his ground.  His size and inexperience on the interior results in him getting pushed around and locked up unable to shed.  At LEO, he utilizes his quick first step, pins his ears back, and beelines for the ball.  No technique. No power. No bend.  Pray that you get a free rush and run down ball carrier before they cross the LOS.  Also explains why he struggled pass rushing from the 9.

At nose, Mitchell had 622 defensive snaps, 3rd highest for the DL behind Buckner and Thomas. 8th overall.  We simply couldn't get Mitchell off the field due to the constant 3rd and shorts.  He was brought in due to familiarity with the new coaching staff and to solidify the run defense after a year of Mike Purcell turnstiling.  The consensus from our fanbase is that he's a solid run stopping gap filler and that we could fill the role with any late round draft pick.  Personally, I think Mitchell is undersized and gets pushed around despite getting off the snap quickly.  D.J. Jones was drafted in the 6th round last year and he couldn't get on the field.

He should be in the top 10 and in the conversation for the 49ers.  There is a lovefest with Nelson right now but maybe that'll die off with rumors/visits from the teams ahead of us.  One of the lessons our fanbase should have learned from last year is that this front office loves their board and will take the best player on it, needs be damned.  Ngata went 12th.  Poe went 11th.  Brockers went 14th.  Shelton went 12th.  If you are going to take an every down unicorn, the 9/10 area would be the spot to pick one.  They'll move around, I just don't think they will spend the capital to move up in the first round for a guard.  Besides, I'd rather have Buckner, Vea, Thomas/Armstead, and draft a LEO like Jeff Holland (Auburn) with one of the next two picks.  Maybe we trade Armstead to a team that wants his 4th year and optional 5th.

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Also, I find it weird that the 49ers are drafting so many damn DL recently. What's wrong with Arik Armstead? I was never his biggest fan, but I thought he was pretty good for you guys. What does that DL look like right now?

Vea is just so strong and athletic on the Dline he's always looked at another level when I watch him. Consistently dominating really good Olines in the Pac12. 

3 hours ago, typecast said:

Armstead was asked by our DC Robert Saleh to drop weight (~15lbs) and play LEO.  Once the season started, the plan didn't really work out and Saleh ended up swapping around Buckner, Armstead, and Thomas.  When Armstead went down, Thomas slid to LEO and Buckner over to 3T. 

@typecast is pretty spot on here, ask any niner fan the interior Dline this past season was a revolving door bringing in guys like Datone Jones, Sheldon Day, Tony McDaniel, Xavier Cooper, Leger Douzable all in the middle of the season. 

He's pretty down on Solomon Thomas, not sure why he had a great finish to the season in the last 6 games or so. He was either 1st or 2nd on the team in TFL's, you could see him having an impact over long stretches of the game, as a pass rusher he's not developed fully and might never be a 12+ sack guy but he's still super young and needs to develop some which he already showed he's capable of doing. I still have a lot of faith in Solomon Thomas as a key starter. 

I dont care what we did in past drafts and I'm sure Shanny/Lynch dont care who was drafted by the Baalke regime. We have needs at multiple positions that are very clear like corner, pass rusher, and interior oline. But every great defense has that ability to shut teams down on 3rd and short and I think Vea is a premier 1 technique with the ability to stunt and command the attention that will allow Buckner and Thomas to be at their best. 

10 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

So...

Had a big long response posted out...then realized that typcast had already done most of the heavy lifting. 

Archived