2024 RB Talk

goldfishwars

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Why doesn't Braelon Allen get any hype or love?

He's in the mix of Top 3-5 RB's who could go in any order and likely part of the run that I think starts around the 3rd round.  Nobody in this year's class has really stepped up and proven to be an elite talent, but there's a dozen+ guys who could all be solid starters in a RBBC role

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I mean, to be a first round RB you need multiple elite traits. I don’t know if he looked crazy fast. He seemed like a solid blocker in the games I watched, but he didn’t catch a lot of balls outside of the backfield. I don’t see what he brings that, say, Jaylen Wright doesn’t.

One of Brooks' best traits is his ability out of the backfield in my opinion. He's got great hands and is a sharp route runner. He is probably (pre-injury) a 4.45 speed guy, but his elusiveness was top-notch, pass blocking is good, vision is great, and he makes plays in the passing game.

I think as far as someone that can do it all, Brooks is your guy. I haven't scouted Jaylen Wright at all, but I keep hearing his name. Gotta get on that train today if I have time. It's Ladd McConkey scouting report day for me!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I love him. For what he is, teams these days don't tend to utilize backs like that anymore (pure power). However, I would be shocked if he isn't a 1,000 yard back very early in his career. He's an absolute freight train and has very good acceleration. He will be rough to stop. I think homerun speed is overblown in the NFL because I can count on 1 hand the amount of runs where the RB just dusts the defense in the league. I used to care about it, but after failing on so many homerun hitters, I'm over it. Give me the 4 yards in a cloud of dust backs and/or guys who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

• Like 3

Even as a Texas fan, I just can't get myself to put Brooks up there with the top 2-3 RB's in this class. Brooks certainly isn't a bad prospect. He's versatile, had some explosive ability before the knee injury, and was productive this past season. My problem is that none of his traits stand out as top level traits. He is more in the mold of a Kenyon Drake type RB in my opinion. He's a guy that can give you some solid seasons as a change of pace guy, but I just don't see anything that screams high level lead back. Some have compared him to Jamaal Charles, which in my opinion is incredibly lazy. Other than being similar size, and playing for Texas, the comparison basically stops there. Brooks is nowhere near having the elite explosiveness Charles had nor does have have the contact balance that made Charles so good. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I love him. For what he is, teams these days don't tend to utilize backs like that anymore (pure power). However, I would be shocked if he isn't a 1,000 yard back very early in his career. He's an absolute freight train and has very good acceleration. He will be rough to stop. I think homerun speed is overblown in the NFL because I can count on 1 hand the amount of runs where the RB just dusts the defense in the league. I used to care about it, but after failing on so many homerun hitters, I'm over it. Give me the 4 yards in a cloud of dust backs and/or guys who can catch the ball out of the backfield.

Wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he has a Tyler Allgeier type rookie season and impact in the NFL. 

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

One of Brooks' best traits is his ability out of the backfield in my opinion. He's got great hands and is a sharp route runner. He is probably (pre-injury) a 4.45 speed guy, but his elusiveness was top-notch, pass blocking is good, vision is great, and he makes plays in the passing game.

I think as far as someone that can do it all, Brooks is your guy. I haven't scouted Jaylen Wright at all, but I keep hearing his name. Gotta get on that train today if I have time. It's Ladd McConkey scouting report day for me!

Jaylen Wright is a solid 2-down RB but struggles pass blocking/blitz pickup and isn't the best route runner but has decent hands.  He's great in a RBBC and could be a 1000yd back in the NFL with elite speed and a violent running style.  He has great agility and makes defenders miss with great explosiveness (11'2" Broad, 1.55 10yd).  Probably best suited for a zone system but could thrive in any scheme IMO.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Jaylen Wright is a solid 2-down RB but struggles pass blocking/blitz pickup and isn't the best route runner but has decent hands.  He's great in a RBBC and could be a 1000yd back in the NFL with elite speed and a violent running style.  He has great agility and makes defenders miss with great explosiveness (11'2" Broad, 1.55 10yd).  Probably best suited for a zone system but could thrive in any scheme IMO.  

I’m hoping to see Jaylen Wright go to the Ravens. Could see him having a very good career in that offense. He would essentially be what JK Dobbins was supposed to be in that offense with his explosive ability.

24 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Tennessee fan, and agreed.  Wright is a fantastic pure runner RB prospect.  I just don't know how much he brings other than straight up running ability.

He'd be a great fit for the Titans, because he'd make the fanbase very happy, and it'd open up what the Titans could do with Spears, since one of his strengths is being a receiving weapon.  Wright could fit comfortably in the role Derrick Henry had (but less of it because he's not got the Henry size and power) of being your straight up runner.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Wouldn't be the least bit shocked if he has a Tyler Allgeier type rookie season and impact in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Is Latavius Murray a good NFL comp for him?

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think the problem is...he's basically a "poor man's" version of what a lot of people thought Leonard Fournette was.

Without the huge breakaway speed and elite physical tools, on top of the raw size.

I still like him, but he's one of those backs who probably needs to land in the right sort of offense to make anything happen.  If you're a "grind them into the dirt" mentality type team with an OLine that can move bodies around and create lanes...i think he could be a real good thumper to help set that tone and get you "4 yards and a cloud of dust" over and over again.

But i don't think that he's necessarily going to be the sort of back who can "create his own yards".  Nor do i think he's going to be a great fit for a lot of those zone stretch scheme type running teams.  He's far more of a...downhill for better or worse type runner for the most part.  And while that "homerun threat" is kind of exaggerated in a RB in a lot of cases...it does still hurt when it's not even on the table.

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Is Latavius Murray a good NFL comp for him?

I don't really see the comparison tbh.  To me, Latavius Murray was far more of a tall back, who actually played a far more "finesse" game.  He was built for zone running.  Patience and waiting for that cutback lane to open to dart through.

I think Braelon Allen is probably more...Jamaal Williams or something.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I don't really see the comparison tbh.  To me, Latavius Murray was far more of a tall back, who actually played a far more "finesse" game.  He was built for zone running.  Patience and waiting for that cutback lane to open to dart through.

I think Braelon Allen is probably more...Jamaal Williams or something.  

Tough to find a perfect comparison for Allen. Legarrette Blount is about the closest I can think of.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Tough to find a perfect comparison for Allen. Legarrette Blount is about the closest I can think of.

I mean, at least Blount knew he was a big dude. No idea what to make of Allen, just a weird prospect.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I mean, at least Blount knew he was a big dude. No idea what to make of Allen, just a weird prospect.

Yeah he’s a tough one. There’s moments like this clip below where you see he’s capable of being an absolute tank, but it just doesn’t show up as often as you’d like to see for a guy his size.

• Like 1