2024 RB Talk

goldfishwars

Couldn't find a thread for this. Overall, I was cold on this class - but it's warming up a little. Benson, Brooks, Corum and Wright are all players I would feel comfortable taking relatively early on day two. Estime had a poor forty time, but you can see break-away speed on tape. Ray Davis is bowling ball with good hands, and there's all sorts of shapes and sizes to fit NFL schemes on day three. Not that big on Marshawn Lloyd, who is a confusing prospect. Bucky Irving has plenty of juice, but that frame is awful slight. Braelon Allen can bang with his size, but lacks feel. Will Shipley has a versatile skill-set, some of which may not translate to the NFL - but he's an intelligent, patient runner who can run routes. 

It's quite deep class, and wouldn't be surprised if a handful of the later round prospects (there are so many) turn into full or part-time contributors  - really like Tyrone Tracy and Isaiah Davis as bets in that realm.  Isaac Guerendo had an insane workout, but man the tape is not great. There's a reason this guy couldn't get a look at Wisconsin and then had a time share in Louisville. The game looks unnatural to him. He lacks feel, instincts and vision. I think he'll get drafted relatively high compared to pre-Combine opinions, but unless he becomes a beast special teamer, I'm not that hopeful for him. 

• Like 1

It's a very tough class to sort, imo.  Kind of a pick your poison.

I think Benson is maybe the top guy.  At least, he looks the most like a traditional high pick at RB.  Made some really impressive catches against Clemson.

I was high on Irving, but he tested really poorly, and I don't think unathletic RBs that are less than 200 lbs tend to work well.  Still like him, but less so.

Jaylen Wright, as a Vols fan, I obviously like, but I try to be lower on Vols guys to try to counteract homerism.  Still, dude has been a workhorse for one of the top rushing offenses in college for two years and had elite testing numbers.  Doesn't bring much as a pass catcher though, which probably keeps him from being in the discussion.

A lot seem to like Jonathan Brooks.  His tape is good, but until he tests, hard to rank him high while he's injured.

Lots of power runners.  Blake Corum, Cody Shrader, Ray Davis, and even at the bottom of the class, Miyan Williams.  His 2022 Rutgers game had me falling in love, but he never looked that good again.

In all honesty, this is kinda what you want from a RB class.  A bunch of guys on the Day 2/Day 3 bubble, where you can get a solid prospect and not spend premium draft capital on a non-premium position.

• Like 1

I agree - lots of great RBBC prospects but no blue chips.  Not a bad class for a team looking to add a weapon to the stable to do so for relatively cheap.  I'm not convinced any RB goes before the 3rd round

• Like 1

Corum, Wright, and Benson stand out to me as the top 3 and should all go in the 2nd-3rd round. After that, some combination of Shipley, Brooks, Irving, Allen, Lloyd, and maybe even Estime in the next tier. Guerendo will be overdrafted after that workout, but I just don't see it with him. Reminds me a bit of Knile Davis as a better workout warrior than football player.

I keep going back and forth on Corum and Wright as my overall top RB. Both have a lot to like. Corum has a few more red flags with his age, and injury history. His last few games during the college playoffs, he started to show that 2022 (pre knee injury) explosiveness again. Assuming he is back to that point, he'd probably be my highest ceiling rookie RB to step in and be a top level RB in the NFL. That combo of top tier explosiveness and contact balance Wright possesses also makes him an enticing option. 

• Like 1

I really like Jonathan Brooks and think he would have been RB1 in the draft pretty easily if not for the torn ACL. He's still my #1 
Jaylen Wright had the workout that we all hope for, he moved up in a big way after the combine and just might be the 1st RB drafted. 
I like Trey Benson and Corum and they could end up leading a backfield in the NFL, although I don't think they'll become top 10 RB in the league. 
I seem to be one of the few but I really love Marshawn Lloyd and I think he will become a good rotational back in the league. 
Late round fliers I like Jawhar Jordan and Cody Schrader. 

• Like 3

Surprised Brooks is not the consensus #1. 

Trey Benson is incredibly tempting. Amazing traits and frame, but simply not a very smart/patient runner. He reminds me a bit of Fournette in that sense. Big, fast, and selectively physical. But no real change of pace & a poor understanding for blocking schemes. He can be a Todd Gurley type player at his ceiling though. Benson carries a relatively low grade from me, but with his ceiling being what it is…I think he would be my RB2. 

I think the day 3 depth at RB this year is actually terrible. 

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think he could have gone in the late 1st. What skill does he lack?

I mean, to be a first round RB you need multiple elite traits. I don’t know if he looked crazy fast. He seemed like a solid blocker in the games I watched, but he didn’t catch a lot of balls outside of the backfield. I don’t see what he brings that, say, Jaylen Wright doesn’t.

Benson has some impressive catches on tape, and that’s just a more valuable skill than pure running.

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think he could have gone in the late 1st. What skill does he lack?

I think he was RB1 and could still be but when your Medical's are getting flagged and your best case scenario is being back around pre-season Week 1, it's a bit risky for many teams.  I don't think he was ever going 1st round, but I think he was a Day 2 pick and could still be.

2 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

I think he was RB1 and could still be but when your Medical's are getting flagged and your best case scenario is being back around pre-season Week 1, it's a bit risky for many teams.  I don't think he was ever going 1st round, but I think he was a Day 2 pick and could still be.

Yeah, I didn't see any first round hype.  I do like him though.  If he shows up at his pro day and looks good and runs a good 40 to show the injury was NBD, he's probably jumping to RB 2,3, or 4 on my rankings.  But pass catching is just more valuable than running these days, so any receivery RB automatically gets bonus points.

24 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, I didn't see any first round hype.  I do like him though.  If he shows up at his pro day and looks good and runs a good 40 to show the injury was NBD, he's probably jumping to RB 2,3, or 4 on my rankings.  But pass catching is just more valuable than running these days, so any receivery RB automatically gets bonus points.

Is he supposed to be ready for his Pro Day? I thought his injury was a 9mo timeline and would put him closer to August

4 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Is he supposed to be ready for his Pro Day? I thought his injury was a 9mo timeline and would put him closer to August

Well then I guess he's staying where he is.