2024 RB Talk

goldfishwars

16 hours ago, Forge said:

People leaving Tyrone Tracy out of their top 10 is kind of wild to me. #5 for me. 

He's a curious one.

On the one hand, he's really intriguing.  But on the other hand...you've gotta weigh exactly what he's gonna be.  Like...so far as i know, he's been in college forever, he'll be 25 at some point during his rookie season, and he's really only got the one true "RB" season under his belt despite being in college forever.  Like...the guy played multiple years overlapping with Nate Stanley as a QB.  🙃

He's got a very interesting skillset, especially for a team looking for a LevBell lite type.  It's not like he's been a RB just grinding miles off the tread on those tires that way the whole time.  But relatively raw and inexperienced as a true RB still...and already hitting that age threshold where teams start to throw guys away to get fresh meat into the grinder...That's a consideration.

I also wouldn't be shocked if some people just had him buried deep in a WR/ST ranking somewhere tbh.

The receiving ability could be a real weapon, his ability to just side slip tackles in space is exciting.  But the fact he's just narrowly over 2 years younger than a guy like Damien Harris who literally just retired this offseason is...not as exciting.  I really don't know what to do with him tbh.  But i bet there are teams out there who could get a couple good years of play out of him.

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

He's a curious one.

On the one hand, he's really intriguing.  But on the other hand...you've gotta weigh exactly what he's gonna be.  Like...so far as i know, he's been in college forever, he'll be 25 at some point during his rookie season, and he's really only got the one true "RB" season under his belt despite being in college forever.  Like...the guy played multiple years overlapping with Nate Stanley as a QB.  🙃

He's got a very interesting skillset, especially for a team looking for a LevBell lite type.  It's not like he's been a RB just grinding miles off the tread on those tires that way the whole time.  But relatively raw and inexperienced as a true RB still...and already hitting that age threshold where teams start to throw guys away to get fresh meat into the grinder...That's a consideration.

I also wouldn't be shocked if some people just had him buried deep in a WR/ST ranking somewhere tbh.

The receiving ability could be a real weapon, his ability to just side slip tackles in space is exciting.  But the fact he's just narrowly over 2 years younger than a guy like Damien Harris who literally just retired this offseason is...not as exciting.  I really don't know what to do with him tbh.  But i bet there are teams out there who could get a couple good years of play out of him.

So generally speaking, I'm pretty against older guys in terms of the draft. I've had to be a little more flexible with it because of so many super seniors and the like in the last couple of years. Mid round running back I'm more amenable to it because for most of these guys in this range, I'm not envisioning them beyond their rookie deal anyway. 

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

So generally speaking, I'm pretty against older guys in terms of the draft. I've had to be a little more flexible with it because of so many super seniors and the like in the last couple of years. Mid round running back I'm more amenable to it because for most of these guys in this range, I'm not envisioning them beyond their rookie deal anyway. 

I think anything Day 3 probably should have age as one of the lowest considerations. If you get anyone to stay with you through their rookie contract from Day 3, it's probably seen as an overall plus/not wasted pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Generally i'd agree.  Who cares.  We're in a brave new world of senior citizens.

But at RB...it's one of the few positions i might actually care.  Because honestly...it's such a visceral, physical, athletic position.  That's why it gets chewed up so frequently by every team in the first place.  It's not just mileage, it's age.  Just get less explosive over time.  It's a reality of life.

24/25 year old rookie year RB is just...in any other context, that's undraftable.  He's an interesting weapon in the passing game too?  Okay...let him back in.

But you'd better have a plan.  Because you've only got a couple years to figure out what he's gonna give you.  I wish my team had a plan.  Pick him in the 7th round or something and kill it.

• Like 1

NO RB goes in 1st round imo this year but I do believe we see 10 go on day 2. Below are the top ten in my rankings.

RB Trey Benson Florida State 2ND
RB Blake Corum Michigan 2ND
RB Jonathon Brooks Texas 2ND
RB Braelon Allen Wisconsin 2ND-3RD
RB Marshawn Lloyd USC 2ND-3RD
RB Jaylen Wright Tennessee 2ND-3RD
RB Will Shipley Clemson 3RD
RB Audric Estime Notre Dame 3RD
RB Bucky Irving Oregon 3RD
RB Tyrone Tracy Jr. Purdue 3RD-4TH
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 11:06 AM, tyler735 said:

1. Wright

2. Corum

3. Lloyd

4. Benson

5. Laube

6. Shipley

7. Brooks

8. Allen

9. Irving

10. Estime

Even coming off a torn ALC, Brooks is at worst the 3rd best RB.

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Even coming off a torn ALC, Brooks is at worst the 3rd best RB.

Disagree, I think he can be a solid RB, but he has no stand out traits (even before the injury and as a Texas Longhorn fan). Reminds me a lot of a Kenyan Drake type RB

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jeezla said:

A 4.7 40 will do that. 

More than just a slow 40, he pretty much looks it on tape.

He's just not the type of back that many teams are looking for these days.  And even then, typically as more of a 1-2 punch power back.  He's got that downhill physicality, but not a lot else.  Very straightline and doesn't really have the agility or reads to make quick decisive cuts.  I could see him doing some damage in the right situation, behind a more power running team with a really strong OLine that punches big holes.  But like a lot of the backs in this class, he's somewhat of a more limited, situational specific niche back.  For a lot of teams, he's just not really a fit for what they want or need in a RB.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

More than just a slow 40, he pretty much looks it on tape.

He's just not the type of back that many teams are looking for these days.  And even then, typically as more of a 1-2 punch power back.  He's got that downhill physicality, but not a lot else.  Very straightline and doesn't really have the agility or reads to make quick decisive cuts.  I could see him doing some damage in the right situation, behind a more power running team with a really strong OLine that punches big holes.  But like a lot of the backs in this class, he's somewhat of a more limited, situational specific niche back.  For a lot of teams, he's just not really a fit for what they want or need in a RB.

True not many teams look for a back like that but in the NFL with smaller and smaller LBs they can be effective and a smart move.  Derrick Henry is obviously the main example but even James Conner who teams struggle with, Gus Edwards is another of course, Zek Elliott, D'Onta Foreman, AJ Dillon, Jonathan Taylor etc.  

I do feel Estime is being underrated but many backs in this draft are and it is a super deep class so a lot of guys could fall a lot farther than they should.  

All these guys are big backs that are pretty hard to bring down, some bigger than others of course.  

Braelon Allen
Trey Benson
Audric Estime 
Cody Schrader
Isaiah Davis 
Dillon Johnson 
Isaac Guerendo 
Jase McClellan
Kendall Milton 

Estime does have a motor/passion that some other backs do not have, and physically he is a tank.  In the right situation he could be a very effective pro and change of pace back.  It does stink for many RBs they are so under paid but it is just so damn easy to get replacements that are very good and cheap in the draft.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Derrick Henry is obviously the main example but even James Conner who teams struggle with, Gus Edwards is another of course, Zek Elliott, D'Onta Foreman, AJ Dillon, Jonathan Taylor etc.

Not sure about Gus Bus, but don't all of these dudes run 4.5's or faster?