Bears extend CB Jaylon Johnson (4 years, $76M, $54.4 gtd)

Just now, CBears019 said:

I love it!  Is it just me or has it been a long time since we’ve rewarded a home grown (drafted) payer with an extension?

I think since Fuller it’s just Kmet and now JJ. 

• Like 1

Good!!!

Sends a good message that Bears will pay their own when warranted.

Kmet and JJ now.

We arguably have top 5 CB group and top 5 LB group in NFL now going into 2024.  

Defense is pretty good without any additions aside from safety.  And good FA safety market keeps growing.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

This makes a lot of sense and honestly doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would.  Lotta money but at the right time for the team.  Good for him. 

I was kinda surprised to see his AAV is less than that of the franchise tag. Presumably he got the higher guarantee in exchange.

JJ is set to hit the market again while still in his 20s with this deal too. Wins all around on this one. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

I was kinda surprised to see his AAV is less than that of the franchise tag. Presumably he got the higher guarantee in exchange.

JJ is set to hit the market again while still in his 20s with this deal too. Wins all around on this one. 

Have to imagine that agents have a really hard time convincing most 24yr old players that the timing of the next contract is important, especially when they're about to see their net worth go up by a magnitude.

I'm kind of surprised it took this long to get this deal done if those were the values JJ's team was going to accept.  

Great player, really can't recall the last time we had this good of a DB group either, and I was a big Tillman/Jennings fan. 

33 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Getting him done under $20M/year after the cap just went up $30M is a hell of a job by Poles.

👏👏👏

I am stunned the figure is under $20 million a year...it's a great deal all round...for us we get a quality player at a primer position...for JJ he gets to stay where his skill set fits best in this scheme.