Offseason Thread - Free Agency and Trades

CBears019

I figured I’d start a thread to keep things condensed a bit with free agency opening on Monday.  Between the two Justin fields threads, top free agent thread, and random thoughts thread my head was spinning a little bit.

Signings:

- S Kevin Byard (2 yr/$15m)

- RB DeAndre Swift (3yr/$24.5m)

- TE Gerald Everrett (2yr/$12m)

- S Jonathan Owens (Mr. Simone Biles). (2yr/$4.5m)

- OL Matt Pryor (1 yr/$???m)

- QB Brett Rypien (1 yr/$???m)

- LB/ST Amen Ogbo….???  (1 yr/$???)

- C Coleman Shelton (1 yr/$???)

- OT Jack Curhan (1 yr/$???)

Departures:

- WR Darnell Mooney (Atlanta, 3yr/$39m)

- DL Justin Jones (Arizona, 3yr/$30m)

Trades:

- Acquired G Ryan Bates from BUF in exchange for 5th round pick 2024 draft

- Acquired WR Keenan Allen from LAC in exchange for 4th round pick in 2024 draft

7 hours ago, CBears019 said:

Ole three-legged jones resigned with KC including $95m guaranteed over 5 years!

I'm a huge fan of Jones and he means a ton to that KC franchise but that is a lot of money for a guy who is turning 30 years old when a lot of the young guys on that defence really stepped up this past season...structure will be very interesting.

Just now, refundmytickets said:

If Cousins signs in ATL and Wilson signs in PIT, which are the most realistic destinations for Fields?

Probably moves to LV, Denver or Minnesota...

Wouldn't rule out the Giants...according to reports they are completely out on Jones and Joe Schoen their GM slipped up and said they wanted to address the position in free agency...if Cousins & probably more so Wilson are off the market they might need to rethink that since the other guys they could bring in might not move the needle how they want...NE are another outside bet depending on how they value these QBs in the draft...

The only other real wildcard would be the Bucs if they don't get something sorted with Baker but I expect they will.

If the yearly rate for Barkely (or Jacobs) is going to be less than last years franchise tag number I would go for it...2 years $20 million for Barkely or even 3 years $27 million for Jacobs would be a great addition to support Caleb in the backfield.

4 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Jaguars to acquire Mac jones from the pats. Didnt see that coming.

Doug Pederson is probably one of the best coaches Jones could have went to to try and fix his problems...buy him low now...try and fix him up to look at least serviceable then hope someone overpays for him when he hits FA and you get a higher comp pick...all while having a backup with starting experience in the meantime...not a bad play by the Jags.

7 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

He looked pretty bad last year I thought?

The players the Bears have picked up so far are whelming very under for me.

Pretty much the entire PHI defense was ungood last year. I’m willing to bet on last year being an aberration with his resume over him just forgetting how to play football.

PFF numbers as far as grades are suspect but the tackling grades should be their least subjective rating (either you made the tackle or you didn’t), and Byard has rated really well in that regard the past 5 years. Even if everything else is a push with what we got out of Jackson last year that’s a significant upgrade IMO. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pretty much the entire PHI defense was ungood last year. I’m willing to bet on last year being an aberration with his resume over him just forgetting how to play football.

PFF numbers as far as grades are suspect but the tackling grades should be their least subjective rating (either you made the tackle or you didn’t), and Byard has rated really well in that regard the past 5 years. Even if everything else is a push with what we got out of Jackson last year that’s a significant upgrade IMO. 

Was this one of those situations where offense is bad and defense kind of gives up after a time?  I didn’t really watch Philly last year.