Vikings sign Sam Darnold

Darnold spoke with Twin Cities media members Thursday, following the Vikings final mandatory minicamp practice, and explained that he wrote respective skill position letters (H, F, X, Y and Z) on poker chips and slide them around on a tabletop as a visual aid to "see concepts come together."

At this point in the spring program, Darnold has a much stronger grasp of the system and has largely moved away from the chips – but he continues to implement varying methods of recall.

"Recording [the plays] is a big one. So I can hear it, hear it again and then say it," he said. "Draw it on the whiteboard … learning the formations and concepts together.

"Even in my apartment, you know, taking the drops and doing all the footwork and stuff that I need to do to make sure I'm prepared for practice, training camp and then go out there and play on Sundays," added Darnold, who joked he has to remind himself not to disturb his downstairs neighbors.

Heading into the summer break, Darnold feels good about where he's at and will continue to learn and prepare for Vikings Training Camp.

vikings.com

• Like 2

Darnold looked calm, confident and prepared for what is likely to be another starting opportunity.

Thursday, he surveyed receivers in a seven-on-seven rep, then placed the ball perfectly in stride toward second-year receiver Jordan Addison. Once Addison caught the ball and turned upfield, multiple teammates who had been watching from behind Darnold yelled, “Thatta boy, Sam!”

Darnold’s consistency stood out for three days. He connected with Jefferson on a couple of over routes Wednesday, dropping the ball into hard-to-see windows. He anticipated cuts and displayed touch.

“I know firsthand how much arm talent he has,” said defensive tackle Harrison Phillips (Stanford), who played against Darnold (USC) in college. “This is the best team he’s been on. This is the best system for him. He’s hopefully going to find the ceiling of his play this season for us.”

Darnold took every first-team rep. When the Vikings split the fields between the starters and the developmental groups, he stayed with the starting group with Mullens while McCarthy and second-year man Hall trotted over to the other field.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5547122/2024/06/07/vikings-minicamp-jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold/

• Like 1

Dane Mizutani, Pioneer Press:

"The early returns with the Vikings have been palpable as Sam Darnold continues to familiarize himself with the new offense. He has made a number of incredible throws down the field that make observers do a double take. He also has done a good job not missing many layups."

"There's a particular play from mandatory minicamp that stands out when analyzing the veteran quarterback. It was a perfectly placed throw in the corner of the end zone with the Vikings working on a layered concept near the goal line. The most impressive part? The anticipation needed to complete the pass."

"When Darnold initially released that ball, receiver Trishton Jackson was still in the middle of the field as he sprinted toward the back pylon. The only way the play was going to work was if Darnold feathered the ball in with the right amount of touch, which he did, and Jackson did his part by hauling in a touchdown."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-kevin-o-connell-quarterback-plans

• Like 2

KOC: "I think Sam's learned a lot along the way and I'm really excited about the time in his career in which we're getting him in our building. I feel strongly about his ability to continue, even at this point in his career, continue his development and what can he become within playing quarterback in our offense with the type of players we have around him. All well knowing that we're going to have a competitive environment with J.J. McCarthy, with Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall."

SiriusXM's Mad Dog Sports Radio

• Like 1

Interesting that McCarthy is mentioned before Mullens. Perhaps a sign to come? 

Regardless, I'm hoping Darnold has a good enough year and stays healthy so we don't have to rush McCarthy in.

He will likely be a one and done in Minnesota, but a strong year here could get him a starting job elsewhere and us a decent comp pick in 2026.

• Like 1

Trying to read between the lines, it is sounding like McCarthy is further along/closer to the top spot than many anticipated for this time of the year. 

There’s absolutely no surprise that Darnold will open training camp as QB1, but I did find it interesting the O’Connell’s comments only went that far. And that he spoke of competition. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Trying to read between the lines, it is sounding like McCarthy is further along/closer to the top spot than many anticipated for this time of the year. 

There’s absolutely no surprise that Darnold will open training camp as QB1, but I did find it interesting the O’Connell’s comments only went that far. And that he spoke of competition. 

yeah, i read something yesterday KOC said, but didn't post it here, that depth charts right now only mean right now, basically. he said something like, it could all be different in a week or two.

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

KOC: "Yeah, we haven't had to put out a depth chart or anything like that, but yeah, I would say Sam would be the guy I would look to, based upon the spring he's had and, really, where he's at in his career, in his quarterback journey."

"But at the same time, J.J. has really improved, Nick Mullens has had a great spring, and Jaren has also improved. I've told all four of those guys, "Look, depth charts are great, and it's great to understand where you're at today, but that'll really mean nothing about the future."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-sam-darnold-kevin-o-connell-quarterback-receiver-depth

At this point, nearly every Minnesota Vikings’ beat writer has raved about Darnold’s performance throughout the offseason. However, there was a new nugget released to the public by Alec Lewis (The Athletic). Apparently, Sam Darnold only threw one interception all of mandatory minicamp… and wasn’t even his fault.

Per @Alec_Lewis:

QB Sam Darnold: Looked sharp. Might have thrown only one interception in mandatory minicamp, and that might have been a byproduct of a poor route by his receiver.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/minnesota-vikings-sam-darnold-minicamp-interceptions/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0QACmPpRWDA8vuPYTSS5e1-2Hfj8yzwFXZDr8TJlqK7DsizwrNGjQt3ys_aem_ZmFrZWR1bW15MTZieXRlcw#google_vignette

• Like 2

here's a what if scenario i'd like to read guys' views on...

let's say Darnold plays really well this season. accurate, smart, doesn't turn over the ball, elevates those around him...

the trade deadline is Nov 5, that would be a couple of days after our Week 9 game...

trade him? what might he be worth? keep him and let him walk? sign him for a second year and then trade him in the off season?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

If Sam has a Case Keenum 2017 type season, let him walk and get a 3rd round comp pick in 2026.

Teams are desperate enough for a QB that they'll overpay for one that's only had a single year of success.

do these two sentences contradict each other?

and it's not automatic we get one of your prized 3rd round comp picks (nearly equal to a high 4th anyway) because we might very well be signing a lot of free agents next year.

• Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

do these two sentences contradict each other?

and it's not automatic we get one of your prized 3rd round comp picks (nearly equal to a high 4th anyway) because we might very well be signing a lot of free agents next year.

I agree. I think we will be very aggressive in free agency next year. If I had my druthers, I would prefer to trade Darnold (however that looks like). f plays lights out, and I think he will play very well, he will garner more than a late 3rd/early 4th, imo. 

• Like 1