League looking into Eagles/Falcons for tampering on Barkley and Cousins signings

RaidersAreOne

Clearly the Vikings ability to resign Cousins was impaired by the Falcons tampering. The NFL set a precedent when they awarded the Eagles draft compensation from the Cardinals so I'm interested to see what the Vikings will be awarded.

Signing a franchise QB is the same impact as poaching a coordinator imo so the compensation should be a 3rd/4th round pick from the Falcons

18 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Didn't the penalty against the Chiefs for talking to Jeremy Maclin set the precedent? A 3rd and 6th was taken away and not "traded" to the original team.

it was my understanding that more recently the Cards  were essentially forced to make an unfavorable trade with the Eagles to make up for the tampering

2 hours ago, viking said:

Clearly the Vikings ability to resign Cousins was impaired by the Falcons tampering. The NFL set a precedent when they awarded the Eagles draft compensation from the Cardinals so I'm interested to see what the Vikings will be awarded.

Signing a franchise QB is the same impact as poaching a coordinator imo so the compensation should be a 3rd/4th round pick from the Falcons

I mean the report was that Kirk was going to test free agency, which was the right thing for him to do. The Vikings didn't want to pay as much as someone else - thats what prevented them from signing him 

5 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

I mean the report was that Kirk was going to test free agency, which was the right thing for him to do. The Vikings didn't want to pay as much as someone else - thats what prevented them from signing him 

How do you know?

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

If Cousins knew Atlanta would offer more than Minnesota due to tampering, that is exactly why the rules exist to punish it. Apparently he was in contact with the Falcons medical and training staff as well. During the legal tampering period last Monday and Tuesday, teams can talk to agents for other team's players but not the players themselves. PFT says Cousins was calling Darnell Mooney to recruit him to Atlanta before the new league year started. 

8 hours ago, viking said:

it was my understanding that more recently the Cards  were essentially forced to make an unfavorable trade with the Eagles to make up for the tampering

This was a completely different situation. The Eagles never reported the tampering to the league and negotiated directly with the Cards. It was basically a gentleman’s agreement of the Cards acknowledging they messed up that is all. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

This was a completely different situation. The Eagles never reported the tampering to the league and negotiated directly with the Cards. It was basically a gentleman’s agreement of the Cards acknowledging they messed up that is all. 

Well I guess the Vikings should suggest the Falcons go along with a gentlemen's agreement that the Vikings come up with or the league should punish them

5 minutes ago, viking said:

Well I guess the Vikings should suggest the Falcons go along with a gentlemen's agreement that the Vikings come up with or the league should punish them

Or the Falcons can just deny it happened. Kirk saying something dumb in a press conference is not a smoking gun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Or the Falcons can just deny it happened. Kirk saying something dumb in a press conference is not a smoking gun.

How so?

It's literally a confession to breaking tampering rules from both parties

• Like 1

Just now, viking said:

How so?

It's literally a confession to breaking tampering rules from both parties

He can just claim that he misspoke lol. They aren't going to get punished for tampering unless there is more evidence that something actually occurred. If the only evidence is Kirk saying something at a press conference the Falcons are completely fine.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He can just claim that he misspoke lol. They aren't going to get punished for tampering unless there is more evidence that something actually occurred. If the only evidence is Kirk saying something at a press conference the Falcons are completely fine.

The league is investigating tampering in both the signings of Kirk and Darnel Mooney. They aren't going to accept "I misspoke lol"

4 minutes ago, viking said:

The league is investigating tampering in both the signings of Kirk and Darnel Mooney. They aren't going to accept "I misspoke lol"

They are investigating them correct... Because Kirk saying that is enough evidence to open an investigation. It isn't enough to punish them for tampering or else they would have already done it. That doesn't mean they did or didn't tamper, but Kirk's statements aren't proof of anything except him being an idiot lol. 

Also they have to be able to prove the tampering. The Falcons almost certainly did do it. Will they find the evidence of it? That is all that matters.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan