League looking into Eagles/Falcons for tampering on Barkley and Cousins signings

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, viking said:

The league is investigating tampering in both the signings of Kirk and Darnel Mooney. They aren't going to accept "I misspoke lol"

Outside of Florios rants noone has mentioned Mooney. I believe when the report came out it specifically was that they are investigating the Falcons for Cousins and Eagles for Barkley. Now I think the team ends up getting hit with a penalty because of Florio making this huge so the NFL wants to make an example of them . The severity will be how much they find but even if it's nothing accept the Cousins verbal admission they will get something. The odds the vikings benefit from this is probably a close to 0 chance.

10 hours ago, viking said:

The league is investigating tampering in both the signings of Kirk and Darnel Mooney. They aren't going to accept "I misspoke lol"

Find a report other than Florio’s on that one. And Kirk recruiting Mooney to be a package deal with him has nothing to do with the team. 

I doubt Atlanta gets a penalty larger than a 5th round pick stripped and a fine. 

21 hours ago, viking said:

Clearly the Vikings ability to resign Cousins was impaired by the Falcons tampering. The NFL set a precedent when they awarded the Eagles draft compensation from the Cardinals so I'm interested to see what the Vikings will be awarded.

Signing a franchise QB is the same impact as poaching a coordinator imo so the compensation should be a 3rd/4th round pick from the Falcons

Also? That’s not how it works. Vikings will get nothing and like it. 

10 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Or the Falcons can just deny it happened. Kirk saying something dumb in a press conference is not a smoking gun.

And considering he talked to the asst GM (about when he’ll sign his contract more than likely) and the medical staff (because he’s recovering from an Achilles injury) and didnt speak with them til AFTER he agreed to terms, let’s just chill out a bit. 

timeline matters. 
agreed to contract on Monday. 
spoke with Asst GM and medical staff and PR guy on Tuesday (almost like he was driving the 10 hours or so from Minneapolis to Atlanta and got bored.)

officially signed the contract and did the presser on Wednesday. 

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

And considering he talked to the asst GM (about when he’ll sign his contract more than likely) and the medical staff (because he’s recovering from an Achilles injury) and didnt speak with them til AFTER he agreed to terms, let’s just chill out a bit. 

timeline matters. 
agreed to contract on Monday. 
spoke with Asst GM and medical staff and PR guy on Tuesday (almost like he was driving the 10 hours or so from Minneapolis to Atlanta and got bored.)

officially signed the contract and did the presser on Wednesday. 

i'm not following this issue real closely, but i think you just smoked the gun there.

he signed a contract on Wednesday morning, and isn't it the case that contact couldn't occur before then, before Wednesday?

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'm not following this issue real closely, but i think you just smoked the gun there.

he signed a contract on Wednesday morning, and isn't it the case that contact couldn't occur before then, before Wednesday?

He signed the contract Wednesday at 4PM like he was supposed to. The legal tampering period has a LOT of gray areas that are played with. Trust me, you don't want this same comparison with Darnold or Greenard. Because I'm sure they contacted medical/training and other staff to try and figure out the area in Minnesota the way Kirk was contacting Atlanta. It's super common in the NFL for this kind of contact to happen AFTER TERMS WERE AGREED TO.

15 minutes ago, scar988 said:

It's super common in the NFL for this kind of contact to happen AFTER TERMS WERE AGREED TO.

i recognize that. and also that the entire "legal tampering" period has it happening regularly.

yet the NFL is investigating this one, so there appears to be more than then typically. we'll see how it shakes out, and i don't expect anything earth shattering.

25 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Would be hilarious to see the Falcons have to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick on top of the massive contract they gave a gimped Kirk Cousins.

If I'm the Dolphins, I raise all kinds of hell to try and force them to be docked 1st round picks.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Would be hilarious to see the Falcons have to give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick on top of the massive contract they gave a gimped Kirk Cousins.

How about Minny gets their #8 pick, and ATL gets #11? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah, that's not actually gonna happen. 

55 minutes ago, adamq said:

If I'm the Dolphins, I raise all kinds of hell to try and force them to be docked 1st round picks.. 

Dolphins contacted Brady before the tampering period started and did a lot of things they weren't supposed to do to try and sway him to them.

17 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

How about Minny gets their #8 pick, and ATL gets #11? Lol

If this does end up being the penalty, it's whatever. Falcons probably taking the same guy at 11 that they would have taken at 8. (Verse or Turner)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Dolphins contacted Brady before the tampering period started and did a lot of things they weren't supposed to do to try and sway him to them.

How is that different from what Atlanta did? I saw reports of him shopping for a house well before the tampering period- one would assume he had ccontact with the Falcons before going that far.  Just a matter of if the NFL can prove it or not

9 minutes ago, adamq said:

How is that different from what Atlanta did? I saw reports of him shopping for a house well before the tampering period- one would assume he had ccontact with the Falcons before going that far.  Just a matter of if the NFL can prove it or not

He was shopping for a house here because he was moving here regardless of whether he stayed with Minny or not. How is that tampering? He's been living here in the offseasons. He got tired of living with his in-laws in the offseason. And he makes more than enough money to afford to buy a house in the neighborhood that Ryan and Stafford live in. And honestly, that's a really dumb thing to use here because about 1/4 of hte league lives in Atlanta in the offseason.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

He was shopping for a house here because he was moving here regardless of whether he stayed with Minny or not. How is that tampering? He's been living here in the offseasons. He got tired of living with his in-laws in the offseason. And he makes more than enough money to afford to buy a house in the neighborhood that Ryan and Stafford live in. And honestly, that's a really dumb thing to use here because about 1/4 of hte league lives in Atlanta in the offseason.

That's a nice story, we'll see what the league finds out

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scar988 said:

If this does end up being the penalty [Minny gets their #8 pick, and ATL gets #11], it's whatever. Falcons probably taking the same guy at 11 that they would have taken at 8. (Verse or Turner)

fine with me. it would just help Minny's trade up package to another team.

but i did put an lol in there, i'm not expecting it to happen.