The Acolyte (Star Wars tv show) Trailer released!

Acgott

This seems like it's treading into really dangerous territory.  Trying to go pre-prequels?  Trying to tell any kind of compelling story that still fits within the framework laid out by George...?  I have very little faith in them pulling this off.  Especially with the way most of the other projects have gone.  Just so hard to write anything interesting or meaningful within a box like that.  At best, you're just expounding on things and unshrouding some of the "mystery" that makes it so good.  At worst, you're just directly contradicting things in a way that makes no sense.  Or you just make a show that's completely detached and compartmentalized away from everything that actually matters in the series.  At which point...you're really just making a show "In the Star Wars Universe" and nothing more.  Which is honestly...probably for the best.  But doubtful they go that route, from what this sounds like it's aiming to do.

2 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

This seems like it's treading into really dangerous territory.  Trying to go pre-prequels?  Trying to tell any kind of compelling story that still fits within the framework laid out by George...?  I have very little faith in them pulling this off.  Especially with the way most of the other projects have gone.  Just so hard to write anything interesting or meaningful within a box like that.  At best, you're just expounding on things and unshrouding some of the "mystery" that makes it so good.  At worst, you're just directly contradicting things in a way that makes no sense.  Or you just make a show that's completely detached and compartmentalized away from everything that actually matters in the series.  At which point...you're really just making a show "In the Star Wars Universe" and nothing more.  Which is honestly...probably for the best.  But doubtful they go that route, from what this sounds like it's aiming to do.

I am currently up to date with the High Republic main novels.  They have junior and young adult ones, as well as comics.  It’s kinda meh.  The premise behind the story is compelling- what else could be the weakness of the Jedi, and how could someone not Force-sensitive fight against them.  But it’s just meh.  They also did the novels really weird- there are three, three novel sets, and the middle set is basically the prequel.  So they copied how the story came out for the original nine movies.  

It was nice to get some fresh characters, as Yoda is really the only repeat character due to time.  But that is really the only positive I can say.  They also were supposed to have a larger multi-media project including a video game which obviously never happened.  

If I had to guess, this is going to tie somehow into the rise of the Sith.  In Legends, the master of Darth Plagueis is Darth Tenebrous, and he would fit the age of the timeline for this.  Hell, might even have Plagueis in this as well.  

6 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am currently up to date with the High Republic main novels.  They have junior and young adult ones, as well as comics.  It’s kinda meh.  The premise behind the story is compelling- what else could be the weakness of the Jedi, and how could someone not Force-sensitive fight against them.  But it’s just meh.  They also did the novels really weird- there are three, three novel sets, and the middle set is basically the prequel.  So they copied how the story came out for the original nine movies.  

It was nice to get some fresh characters, as Yoda is really the only repeat character due to time.  But that is really the only positive I can say.  They also were supposed to have a larger multi-media project including a video game which obviously never happened.  

If I had to guess, this is going to tie somehow into the rise of the Sith.  In Legends, the master of Darth Plagueis is Darth Tenebrous, and he would fit the age of the timeline for this.  Hell, might even have Plagueis in this as well.  

I honestly haven't read a Star Wars book since...well, before Disney took over and nuked them all out of "Disney Canon".  😆

There were so many cool things they could've done with what was already there.  But they decided to clear the slate and do their own thing.  I haven't like very much of what they've done, but whatever.  I can accept that there are different streams if things are done well.  Parallel split universes or whatever, that's fine.  I just haven't liked much of what they've done and it certainly hasn't made me feel compelled to read the books about it.  lol.

The biggest thing to me that just screams "missed opportunity", is that a Rogue Squadron series would've been just phenomenal.  And so insanely flexible.  Easy, sustainable slam dunk format/framework for a TV Series.  Could basically just have them doing whatever.  Characters come and go.  Bad guys come and go.  Cameos are easy and low impact.  Because they kept the scope in check.  It would've been easy to create season after season of compelling stories in the vein of those books, without trampling all over everything else.

Whereas...trying to get into the rise of the Sith and potentially even expounding on Darth Plagueis in a series of like 8 ~35 minute episodes?  Nahhh.  You're never going to do that justice.  It's just not enough to work with...and i don't even trust that they'll do something plausible with it anyway.

50 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I honestly haven't read a Star Wars book since...well, before Disney took over and nuked them all out of "Disney Canon".  😆

There were so many cool things they could've done with what was already there.  But they decided to clear the slate and do their own thing.  I haven't like very much of what they've done, but whatever.  I can accept that there are different streams if things are done well.  Parallel split universes or whatever, that's fine.  I just haven't liked much of what they've done and it certainly hasn't made me feel compelled to read the books about it.  lol.

The biggest thing to me that just screams "missed opportunity", is that a Rogue Squadron series would've been just phenomenal.  And so insanely flexible.  Easy, sustainable slam dunk format/framework for a TV Series.  Could basically just have them doing whatever.  Characters come and go.  Bad guys come and go.  Cameos are easy and low impact.  Because they kept the scope in check.  It would've been easy to create season after season of compelling stories in the vein of those books, without trampling all over everything else.

Whereas...trying to get into the rise of the Sith and potentially even expounding on Darth Plagueis in a series of like 8 ~35 minute episodes?  Nahhh.  You're never going to do that justice.  It's just not enough to work with...and i don't even trust that they'll do something plausible with it anyway.

As someone who has the entire EU on a bookshelf in their office/man cave, I agree 110%.  

They completely nuked Wedge Antilles too.  Like…….there is no way back for them to make a compelling character out of him.  And he’s arguably the biggest character/part of the EU of anyone not a Skywalker/Solo/Force Sensitive.  So no Mara Jade, no Talon Karrde/Booster Terrik (which would make for some compelling underworld stories) and no Wedge Antilles/Rogue Squadron?  They didn’t have to go to the old storylines, but totally nuking and ignoring some great characters is bad form.  

I think they could do Darth Tenebrous/Plaguies justice, but I am not sure they are even going that route.  This might just be a random throwaway series for all we know.  I hope not, but you never know with them.  Kennedy can’t be out soon enough.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As someone who has the entire EU on a bookshelf in their office/man cave, I agree 110%.  

They completely nuked Wedge Antilles too.  Like…….there is no way back for them to make a compelling character out of him.  And he’s arguably the biggest character/part of the EU of anyone not a Skywalker/Solo/Force Sensitive.  So no Mara Jade, no Talon Karrde/Booster Terrik (which would make for some compelling underworld stories) and no Wedge Antilles/Rogue Squadron?  They didn’t have to go to the old storylines, but totally nuking and ignoring some great characters is bad form.  

I think they could do Darth Tenebrous/Plaguies justice, but I am not sure they are even going that route.  This might just be a random throwaway series for all we know.  I hope not, but you never know with them.  Kennedy can’t be out soon enough.  

Yeah.  It's just a waste.  Feels like arrogance played a part in not at least just borrowing some of the things that worked and wouldn't really impinge on any of the direction they actually decided to take things with the new stories.

The way they seem to pick and choose things to "discard" or "keep" but then twist into rubbish is so weird sometimes.

Honestly, as much as it would suck...i still think you could pull of a Rogue Squadron type show without Wedge.  It would require a lot of creative write-around work and backfill to made it credible.  But i think it could probably still be done.  Just because of the very nature of what the show would be.  As a bit of a "standalone" piece.

I kind of hope this Acolyte show also just compartmentalizes itself as well tbh.  I'm not sure how that'd work, from what i understand of it at least.  But the best of the Star Wars shows have been things like Mandalorian/Bobba Fett once it basically just morphed into more Mandalorian, and Andor obviously.  Which are both at their best when they're just telling a small story in a deeply Star Wars setting...firmly isolated from the bigger picture.

If i were Disney's Star Wars Czar...the very first thing i would've wanted to map out would've been..."how are we going to basically quarantine these shows?"  Any pitch that comes through, that would be the first question.

But obviously they've decided to take a somewhat opposite approach to this.  Where they're actively looking to create links and tethers between everything.  Often in a very forced and heavy-handed feeling way.

But whatever.  As long as it's got a decent budget and production value and has the right sort of Star Wars "feel" to the trappings at least, i'm going to continue to just watch it all.  And i guess they probably know that they've already got people like me pretty much permanently on the hook.  😆

47 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

The Star Wars fan base in a nutshell tbh. 

I think a lot of us keep hoping they’ll prove us wrong only to find out…well, they probably won’t.

• Like 1