Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul

Who will win in the fight - Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this fight?

• "Iron" Mike Tyson
    • "Problem Child" Jake Paul

https://x.com/netflix/status/1765739257564373233?s=20

Well, it looks like it's going to happen.  58-year old Mike Tyson will be fighting Jake Paul, 30 years his junior.

Who do you think will win?  My first thought was that Mike will destroy this guy.  It could happen.  Unfortunately, the more I think about it, the more I'm worrying about Mike in this fight.  He's pushing SIXTY.  He looks good in some of the training videos that have been released, but when you think about it, those videos only show him punching for a few seconds at a time. 

At Mike's advanced age, is he going to have the endurance to last very long?  I'm thinking that if Jake Paul can survive the first two rounds, it should be an easy victory for him after that. 

A better question may be: Can Jake Paul last through those two rounds?  I sure don't envy him for having to try that. 

It will be interesting to see what happens.  Who do you think will win?

6 hours ago, GW21 said:

Who do I want to win? Tyson. Who do I think probably will just based on age? Probably Paul. 

Yeah, I'll definitely be cheering for Mike too.  One thing that is obvious is that he is far more skilled at actual boxing than Jake Paul is.  This whole thing will all come down to skill vs. age.  Mike is certainly capable of putting this kid away. 

On 3/19/2024 at 2:10 PM, GW21 said:

Who do I want to win? Tyson. Who do I think probably will just based on age? Probably Paul. 

Yeah, I have to wonder if Mike's own mentality may be working against him because of his age and the likely-diminishment of his gas tank.  Tyson has made no secret that when he goes in the ring with someone he's out to kill - he doesn't hold back, but because of that I'm even more concerned that he won't regulate his gas tank.  And an exhausted Tyson is only going to be more susceptible to Jake, because he's Jake and it's what he does, clowning him with taunts.

But that said, Tyson has the most legit "fighter's hands" (an expression one of my friends who used to box competitively was fond of for guys that know they've got true power in their hands) of anyone Jake has fought while also being closer to Paul's walk-around weight for the weight they'll be fighting at.

Everyone loses.

If Paul beats Tyson it's because Tyson is old. Paul gets no credit and we're all sad to see Mike lose.

If Tyson wins it's because Paul isn't really a good pro boxer. Mike has nothing to prove and certainly doesn't add to his legacy.

I guess the fans win if Mike knocks Paul out cold immediately...

• Like 2

I heard someone say that the last thing a fighter loses is the power of his punches.  That certainly bodes well for Tyson.  The other thing in his favor is that he is a far more skilled fighter than Paul has ever been in the ring with before.  Just watching them train, what really stuck me is the precision of Mike's punches compared to those of Jake Paul.

If Paul is smart, he will try to keep his distance for a couple of rounds.  If he doesn't have the proper respect for Mike, it could be over very quickly.

If Paul can get through the first couple rounds, I think that diminishes Tyson's chances greatly.  Even in his prime, Mike as dangerous as they came for the first 2-3 rounds, but after that, his hands slowed down and he became a lot more manageable for the competition.  Of course, saying you need to get through the first 3 rounds against Tyson and actually doing so were usually two very different things! 

16 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

likely-diminishment of his gas tank.

Likely? He's 58 and spent a lot of time just chilling and smoking ounces. Dude got between 2 and 3 gallons of gas left. If Mike doesn't end it in round 1 or 2, could look like Lennox vs Tyson, but at .85x replay speed.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Haha!  No, it was a fighter that said it.  I can't remember who it is.

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like something Foreman, Bowe, or Toney would have said; to be honest, thinking about it, I wouldn't be shocked if you heard that quote from Toney in the buildup to his UFC fight with Randy Couture (which, ironically, he lost, but not for lack of power rather for case of Randy being Randy and doing what Randy does).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...