"Poor man" versions

nicfre2011

I am interested in getting some takes on comparisons between prospects that offer similar skillsets and projected positional/situational usage with the main difference that one currently grades out higher than the other.

"If you like player A as a round 1 prospect, you may like player B as a 3rd round prospect."

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Reading his scouting report he sounds like a better football player than Worthy.

Honestly...roll the tape on him, and you might come to the same conclusion.

I feel like he's being kind of criminally slept on.  He's got some...kinda sketchy stuff on the side that teams will have to figure out.  But as a football player, to me...he's basically the guy that people are acting like Worthy is.  But more natural at things like...actually catching the football.  And he's small, but an absolute YAC beast.  He's got that fight in him, phenomenal contact balance, and videogame change of direction elusiveness.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Pop quiz...

Worse, more delayed and telegraphed windup delivery:  Milton or Leary?

Milton is like Aroldis Chapman, you know a heater is coming so fast the wind up doesn't make much of a difference. Also like Chapman, you really have no clue where the hell the ball is going to go. lol

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Milton is like Aroldis Chapman, you know a heater is coming so fast the wind up doesn't make much of a difference. Also like Chapman, you really have no clue where the hell the ball is going to go. lol

I don't have a clue who Aroldis Chapman is, but this seems definitively true and accurate.  So imma go with it.

• Like 1

This seems pretty fun to me.

Taliese Fuaga-Christian Jones: Both powerful punchers that are better fits on the traditional right side, or inside; Jones isn't the technician that Fuaga is, but if you want a powerful mean streak right tackle at discount prices, he's your guy

Ja'Tavion Sanders-Jaheim Bell: If you want a pass catching weapon TE with a big red flag in his profile (athleticism for Sanders, size for Bell), but is a longstriding, YAC getting, DB dragging baller on the field, Bell comes way later than Sanders.

Rome Odunze-Ja'Lynn Polk: This one's a little lazy, but the numbers back it up.  Odunze made bread on 50/50 balls, and Polk is the same way.  Polk doesn't have the plus size, athleticism, and fluidity that Odunze has, but their style of play in college is very similar.  If you want a bully ball receiver, Polk is your guy.

Cedric Gray-Marist Liufau: Gray is a tackling machine, all around good linebacker, but he's a mediocre athlete.  He's my top LB in this class, but to get something similar, look for Liufau.  Liufau's instincts aren't as good, but he's a similar level athlete, solid tackler, not a liability in coverage kind of linebacker.  He can start, but won't be a very good starter, at least for a while.  Still, he's coming off boards in the late rounds.

Brandon Dorlus-Jaden Crumedy: Dorlus isn't a premium pick, but he goes way higher on boards than Crumedy.  Need a 5 tech/3 tech tweener who's a solid player on the field, not particularly athletic, but does enough to fill out the depth part of your roster?  Take Crumedy in the seventh over Dorlus in the fourth.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

Ja'Tavion Sanders-Jaheim Bell: If you want a pass catching weapon TE with a big red flag in his profile (athleticism for Sanders, size for Bell), but is a longstriding, YAC getting, DB dragging baller on the field, Bell comes way later than Sanders.

Not sure Jaheim Bell is a downgrade. I love Bell. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

This seems pretty fun to me.

Taliese Fuaga-Christian Jones: Both powerful punchers that are better fits on the traditional right side, or inside; Jones isn't the technician that Fuaga is, but if you want a powerful mean streak right tackle at discount prices, he's your guy

Rome Odunze-Ja'Lynn Polk: This one's a little lazy, but the numbers back it up.  Odunze made bread on 50/50 balls, and Polk is the same way.  Polk doesn't have the plus size, athleticism, and fluidity that Odunze has, but their style of play in college is very similar.  If you want a bully ball receiver, Polk is your guy.

Cedric Gray-Marist Liufau: Gray is a tackling machine, all around good linebacker, but he's a mediocre athlete.  He's my top LB in this class, but to get something similar, look for Liufau.  Liufau's instincts aren't as good, but he's a similar level athlete, solid tackler, not a liability in coverage kind of linebacker.  He can start, but won't be a very good starter, at least for a while.  Still, he's coming off boards in the late rounds.

Brandon Dorlus-Jaden Crumedy: Dorlus isn't a premium pick, but he goes way higher on boards than Crumedy.  Need a 5 tech/3 tech tweener who's a solid player on the field, not particularly athletic, but does enough to fill out the depth part of your roster?  Take Crumedy in the seventh over Dorlus in the fourth.

Awesome! Exactly what I am interested in. It seems we all hear about the same top prospects but I enjoy learning about players that could fit a similar role (maybe not at the same expected impact level) but be available later in the draft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Not sure Jaheim Bell is a downgrade. I love Bell. 

Bell is very good, but I was surprised by his size.  I have trouble sorting TEs 2-5 in this class, because I had Theo Johnson as TE2, Sanders as TE3, and Bell as TE4 going in.  Johnson had an underwhelming season, and didn't really do much in the tape I watched, but tested like an elite athlete, then Sanders has a great season and tests so bad it's actually in the red flag range, and Bell comes in also with a great season as not even big for a WR.

Sanders and Bell both play similarly, to me.  They're great pass catchers, not so great blockers, and when they get the ball and get moving, they are tough to bring down.  Both have one red flag against them too.  I have Bell right now as TE4 and Sanders as TE5, but Sanders universally gets drafted earlier in mocks, which is why I call Bell a "poor man's version" of Sanders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Brock Bowers- Ben Sinnott

Might not be as fast in a straight line but well rounded athleticism and the ability to be a game changer at the next level 

I like this one, it makes alot of sense.