2024 Safety Talk

nicfre2011

I looked for a 2024 safety prospect topic and couldn't find one.

I have dug into Javon Bullard from Georgia a little bit more and have been pretty impressed. Is Tyler Nubin still the consensus #1 safety prospect? What are your thoughts on Bullard? Although undersized, he seems very physical...like a heat seeking missile once he diagnoses the play and attacks the LOS...also seems to have really good instincts in coverage, not to mention very good ball skills when the ball is in the air....seems to know how to put himself in a good position to contest the pass. I read that some draftniks believe he could play some cornerback. He strikes me as having some real projected assignment versatility. Does Bullard projects to being able to be used in some ways similar to Tyrann Mathieu?

3 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I looked for a 2024 safety prospect topic and couldn't find one.

I have dug into Javon Bullard from Georgia a little bit more and have been pretty impressed. Is Tyler Nubin still the consensus #1 safety prospect? What are your thoughts on Bullard? Although undersized, he seems very physical...like a heat seeking missile once he diagnoses the play and attacks the LOS...also seems to have really good instincts in coverage, not to mention very good ball skills when the ball is in the air....seems to know how to put himself in a good position to contest the pass. I read that some draftniks believe he could play some cornerback. He strikes me as having some real projected assignment versatility. Does Bullard projects to being able to be used in some ways similar to Tyrann Mathieu?

Bullard is high football IQ and hard working. Coaches loved him at UGA. He loves ball.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Bullard is high football IQ and hard working. Coaches loved him at UGA. He loves ball.

He really seemed to see the field well.... and understand and then react quickly to what was happening in front of him both in the passing game and as a run defender.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

He really seemed to see the field well.... and understand and then react quickly to what was happening in front of him both in the passing game and as a run defender.

Your eyes have not deceived you

• Like 1

He’s definitely not S #1 in the class, but Sione Vaki is awesome and so much fun to watch. Insane trigger to the run game. Gets several TFL’s from a 2-high look. Best run defending S in the class and the best one I’ve seen in a long time. High end comp is Hufanga. Low end is Gilman.

The other S from Utah is also awesome in a different way. Coverage guy. Elite instincts and is able to cover so much ground. Cole Bishop. 

• Like 3

Not a high-end class, but the talent pool really evens out. Plenty to like about Cole Bishop, Malik Mustapha, Dadrion Taylor-Demerson and Dominique Hampton who don't seem to get a lot attention for whatever reason. I'd take any of those day three, should they be there, over some of the more vaunted names on day two. 

• Like 3

Thoughts on Dadrion Taylor-Demerson from Texas Tech? He seems to be a similar type of prospect to Bullard...undersized, athletic, rangy playmaker, aggressive run defender...could project to handling multiple assignments and roles on a defense.

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Not a high-end class, but the talent pool really evens out. Plenty to like about Cole Bishop, Malik Mustapha, Dadrion Taylor-Demerson and Dominique Hampton who don't seem to get a lot attention for whatever reason. I'd take any of those day three, should they be there, over some of the more vaunted names on day two. 

I just noticed that you mentioned Dadrion Taylor-Demerson...after I dropped a post asking for thoughts on him. Any more info on him?

On 3/25/2024 at 10:17 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

He’s definitely not S #1 in the class, but Sione Vaki is awesome and so much fun to watch. Insane trigger to the run game. Gets several TFL’s from a 2-high look. Best run defending S in the class and the best one I’ve seen in a long time. High end comp is Hufanga. Low end is Gilman.

The other S from Utah is also awesome in a different way. Coverage guy. Elite instincts and is able to cover so much ground. Cole Bishop. 

Came here to say that. Love Vaki. 

another - Jaden Hicks. Frightening kind of safety. Hits like a truck 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Nubin is far and away the most complete safety in this class, right? Seems like Bullard is #2.

Nubin's RAS scares me.

I know there's more to being a good football player than athleticism, but that's real low.

On 3/26/2024 at 12:12 PM, goldfishwars said:

Love Bishop and Mustafa.

• Like 2