AZ’s (probably) Final 2024 Mock

AZBearsFan

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Every team has guys who are just ST guys. Some of them are returners and some aren’t. So long as he provides plus value somewhere he’s probably worthy of a roster spot.

Devin Hester didn’t add much on defense or offense during his career.  He is a lot of fans of a generation favorite all time Bear.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. He’s been reasonably effective once he has the ball. It’s been getting it into his hands safely that’s been the bigger issue. I wonder if a Cordarelle Patterson-like switch to a RB role might make sense for him. He doesn’t catch the ball well for a wide receiver, but on RB routes like swing passes, screens and check downs? Probably sufficient. The speed is obviously legit, and he runs with good power. Does he bring more value to our roster as our RB4 than Travis Homer does? I think so. 

I though I'd read some talk about trying him at RB or as a Wildcat QB.  If they feel he still has value as a KR and ST guy it may be worth a shot at seeing what he can do playing out of the backfield.  As a WR only he's pretty much dead weight.

On 4/16/2024 at 6:02 AM, AZBearsFan said:

This isn’t about Verse - it’s about positional need and importance. You’re talking about DE2 like it’s a depth position. It’s not - that’s a starting player at a primary position where we don’t currently have one. I agree Dexter isn’t an established stud at this point, but he popped quite a bit as a rookie last year and earned the right to be that guy going into year 2 IMO. Dexter right now is in the same place as Newton or Murphy are likely to be 12 months from now - pops on tape and flashed potential you expect to see blossom further in year 2. If the point is to draft and develop talent, and that talent taken highly indeed flashes in year 1, then you need to allow for the second part of that in year 2 IMO.

To simplify that, which do you have more confidence in making a positive impact in a primary role in 2024, Dexter or Demarcus Walker? For me it’s Dexter, and it’s not at all close.

Developing Caleb is the most important thing for 2024. On that we (and probably everyone else) agree. Part of that is trying to curtail some of his desire to have to play hero ball as much as he does, and that comes from having a defense he can rely upon. We’ve already given him two #1 WRs, 2 above average receiving options at TE and at least 2 RBs who are strong out of the backfield (Swift and Johnson), plus what should be a pretty solid running game and what should be at least an adequate OL if not better (I think both our current C options, while not stars, will be a marked improvement over Whitehair/Patrick). Forget just the rookies - how many QBs in the league have six legitimate receiving options at their disposal, two of whom are elite? That’s WAY more than he had to work with at USC, where he worked with Jordan Addison in 2022 but otherwise a bunch of mid-late round guys, and flourished. If he’s what he’s supposed to be, which is great, that’s plenty, that doesn’t consider for any potential growth from Tyler Scott, and we’re likely to add to that at 75 and/or 122 anyway even if we don’t at 9. Keep adding, yes, but not at the expense of everything else. 

Right ! we have to have another starting DE and that position is very important !

We currently have Demarcus Walker there with more roster cuts coming, and there is some DL talent in this Draft for picks #75 and #122

but Our TOP need is to surround Caleb with what he needs. DT and RDE are our next biggest needs AND Punter 👍🏻

Top priority is to build both trenches, esp the OL now for Caleb. 

I also want to give big Dexter AND Pickens a chance to STEP UP, we spent 2 2RPs and a third for Defense last Draft

AND then get Brandon Dorlus at #75, he would be a super-high floor situationally elite, ability to get vertical from the inside

and then get Mo Kamara at #122. He is exactly yannick ngakoue rushing the QB aND very good vs the run ❤️

.maybe we can get extremely lucky amove down a little from 75 or 122, still get Dorlus and Kamara, plus pick up a 5th or 6RP for Rehkow or Tory Taylor ❤️❤️ both those guys are elite. Rekhow is #2 and Taylor #6 all-time FBS avg. yds