AZ’s (probably) Final 2024 Mock

AZBearsFan

1-1 QB Caleb Williams USC 

-The only choice here. He’s the highest rated QB prospect since Lawrence, and maybe since Luck. 

1-9 DE Jared Verse FSU 

-The comp I keep coming to for Verse is Ryan Kerrigan, but with more top end speed. I see a guy in Verse who’s gonna get you 9+ sacks a year for a decade while playing good run defense. That’s a building block DE worthy of a top 10 pick to me. Verse was a projected top 10-15 player last year and was a guy many here were targeting last year in a trade down scenario from 1-1 before he decided to go back to school. He was the same player at FSU this year. The prospect fatigue factor is at play a little bit for Verse IMO. I think he’s gonna be a dude, and will be a legit DROY candidate regardless of where he ends up. Setting Caleb up to succeed in 2024 isn’t just about adding on offense (which we’ve done a lot already) - Verse would give us two legit edge rushers and an ascending Gervon Dexter along with a rock solid Billings in front of a really strong back seven. 

3-75 WR Luke McCaffrey, Rice

-I toyed with taking Odunze at 9 here, and I think it’s 50/50 he’s there for us. I see both Verse and Odunze as elite prospects but also feel the need to build a complete team here (and also scratch my HC’s itch for defense with Verse). McCaffrey here is a bit of projection as a transitioning QB, but also one we’ve allowed for with the Allen and Everett additions. The high end athletic traits are there (6’2” 198 lb with a 4.46 40, 1.52 10-yard split (T-4th at combine amongst WRs), 6.70 3-cone (2nd), 4.02 short shuttle (1st)). The elite NFL bloodlines are there (Ed and Christian). The upside here is tremendous, and we can further insulate ourselves against year 1 growing pains here if we feel the need with any of a whole lot of veteran 1-year options still out there (Boyd, Renfrow, Chark, OBJ, Gage, MVS, Gallup). 

4-122 OG/OT Brandon Coleman TCU 

-Primarily a tackle in college, Coleman played both LT and LG in 2023. He’s a bit short for tackle (6’4”) but has tackle length (34 5/8” arms; 84” wingspan) and is an elite athlete (9.97 RAS). All the scouting reports I can find project him as an OG in the NFL, but I see Coleman as a guy who can be a versatile depth player at every position but C, with starter upside inside. Essentially, I see him as a much more athletic Larry Borom. At this juncture of the draft you’re looking for guys who fill a role.

With 4 picks and no trades here I couldn’t hit everything I wanted. I think after this draft we’d look to bring in another DT as depth. Lawrence Guy intrigues me as a guy who can help especially on early downs though he’s been a 3-4 DE much of the latter half of his career. I like former Bear Nick Williams in that role as well. I’d like to see one more edge brought in too - someone who can hopefully push Robinson off the roster. Shaq Lawson makes some sense given his ties to our new DC. 

• Like 2

If Verse is a stud DE this is a great draft.

As for McCaffrey, I like betting on bloodlines even though a lot of times we have seen the lessor brother WR isn't that good - St. Brown's and Ridley's.  

But look at the Watt's and Long's and Manning's ...

McCraffrey may not be lessor, just inexperienced.  As you pointed out he was a QB.   Anquan Boldin was a QB too.  Same with Cordell Stewart.  And Tonyan.  Tonyan didn't play well for us (neither did Cordell), but they both have played well.

Caleb is an obvious pick here...would prefer to get Verse least in the first round but if we can't get out then no issues in taking him at #9 because I feel he can be a true everydown end...not a fan of McCaffrey that high...way higher on the likes of Malik Washington or Javon Baker in that range...love the Coleman pick...he is in my latest draft as well given I think he could play 4 of the 5 OL spots with the right development.

This draft I honestly just trust Pace, I would prefer a trade down and get Powers, everything else is just gravy. If you add an All Pro level OC to this line, it goes from iffy to excellent when healthy. Both OG's would get better(Jenkins already a beast) plus we still have Wright. If Caleb turns out to be any good at all, that is an awesome line with Moore, Allen at WR and Swift in the backfield. And the TE room aint bad either.

6 minutes ago, MonserinNC said:

This draft I honestly just trust Pace, I would prefer a trade down and get Powers, everything else is just gravy. If you add an All Pro level OC to this line, it goes from iffy to excellent when healthy. Both OG's would get better(Jenkins already a beast) plus we still have Wright. If Caleb turns out to be any good at all, that is an awesome line with Moore, Allen at WR and Swift in the backfield. And the TE room aint bad either.

I wouldn't bud hahahaha

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Caleb is an obvious pick here...would prefer to get Verse least in the first round but if we can't get out then no issues in taking him at #9 because I feel he can be a true everydown end...not a fan of McCaffrey that high...way higher on the likes of Malik Washington or Javon Baker in that range...love the Coleman pick...he is in my latest draft as well given I think he could play 4 of the 5 OL spots with the right development.

Verse and Rome are pretty much equal to me - went positional need as the tie breaker. I like Washington too but at 5’8” he’s too small for anything but slot. McCaffrey in time may be able to play all 3 spots and he has elite raw tools to work with as a developmental player. It’s a projection for sure, but I think his 3 year projection is higher than the other guys I think will still be there at 75. Like I said in the OP - we’ve positioned ourselves to take a bit of a swing here with the offseason we’ve had thus far, and might supplement that swing with a 1 year vet for insurance too. I like him better at 122 (duh), but I don’t think he makes it to 122. 

The WR I really want outside the top 4 is Legette but I’m not taking him at 9 and he won’t make it to 75. If I did (do) a mock with trades there’s a really good chance he’s coming to us there.

Top 30 visits aren’t done yet, but pretty much the only one of the perceived top 15 prospects aside from the non-Caleb QBs (to my knowledge) we haven’t met with is Verse. Could be that I’m reading that entirely wrong, but everything he brings to the table screams “Flus guy” to me. Massive upside IMO, and I think he’s got the lowest bust potential of any edge in the draft too, by far. 

Edited by AZBearsFan

Just did a multi person mock.

Came away with this:

Caleb Williams
QBUSC
Jackson Powers-Johnson
OCOregon
trade-icon
Xavier Legette
WRSouth Carolina
trade-icon
Javon Bullard
SGeorgia
Kiran Amegadjie
OTYale
trade-icon
Maason Smith
DTLSU

I'd be completely down for this. I had hopes Pearsall fell but I think he is bound for the 2nd round.

35 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Just did a multi person mock.

Came away with this:

Caleb Williams
QBUSC
Jackson Powers-Johnson
OCOregon
trade-icon
Xavier Legette
WRSouth Carolina
trade-icon
Javon Bullard
SGeorgia
Kiran Amegadjie
OTYale
trade-icon
Maason Smith
DTLSU

This looks damn nice but I think Smith's athletic traits get him drafted in the top 64. He is physically gifted, even if he is raw and has lady hands.

15 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Top 30 visits aren’t done yet, but pretty much the only one of the perceived top 15 prospects aside from the non-Caleb QBs (to my knowledge) we haven’t met with is Verse. Could be that I’m reading that entirely wrong, but everything he brings to the table screams “Flus guy” to me. Massive upside IMO, and I think he’s got the lowest bust potential of any edge in the draft too, by far.

this is another reason i think 3T might be sneaky dark horse. Poles can be too honest at times when he talks, almost to the point where sometimes his point is hidden by what he doesnt say.

"We're gonna break into 3 groups and argue over WR/DE/OT"

oh chicago is taking a guy from one of those groups

"wild card *******, we're grabbing murphy"

• Like 2

On 4/4/2024 at 1:23 PM, Madmike90 said:

I was just ahead of the curve lol

20 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I just don't see why we would take him that high man...I have like a 5-6th round grade on him.

It’s a pure potential pick. Elite athlete new to the position. Had he switched to WR 2 years earlier and developed like I think he will in a good environment, he might be going higher than I have us taking him. It’s a pick about 2025 and beyond. 

30 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s a pure potential pick. Elite athlete new to the position. Had he switched to WR 2 years earlier and developed like I think he will in a good environment, he might be going higher than I have us taking him. It’s a pick about 2025 and beyond. 

That's why I just can't get behind him in the 3rd...it's all good talking about 2025 and beyond but this franchise (and staff) need wins now