AZ’s (probably) Final 2024 Mock

AZBearsFan

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

probably the lower ceiling due to his age, lack of bend, and speed

He's a little more stiff than I prefer, but dude has a 10-yard split faster than some WRs... and he's got cement blocks for hands.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Really? This surprises me -- why?

In context it's pretty obvious this is a spelling mistakes hahaha...

"would prefer to get Verse least in the first round but if we can't get out then no issues in taking him at #9 because I feel he can be a true everydown end"

What I was saying was I would want him later in this draft because I think there are 9 better players and right now the aim should be to add talent...I have said I don't rank Verse as prospects along side the likes of the top three WRs, or top two OTs...you then know at least three QBs are going before our pick...possibly four and if that forth once does go then you grab hopefully one of the receivers...if not then I think you work the phone and get people to jump the Vikes for the 4th QB while picking up some more draft capital from the Broncos or Raiders...then take Verse at that spot.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

In context it's pretty obvious this is a spelling mistakes hahaha...

"would prefer to get Verse least in the first round but if we can't get out then no issues in taking him at #9 because I feel he can be a true everydown end"

What I was saying was I would want him later in this draft because I think there are 9 better players and right now the aim should be to add talent...I have said I don't rank Verse as prospects along side the likes of the top three WRs, or top two OTs...you then know at least three QBs are going before our pick...possibly four and if that forth once does go then you grab hopefully one of the receivers...if not then I think you work the phone and get people to jump the Vikes for the 4th QB while picking up some more draft capital from the Broncos or Raiders...then take Verse at that spot.

Ah okay, that makes sense.

Yeah I'm torn with what to do if Odunze and Verse are sitting there at 9, but if 4 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 OT and 1 DL are gone I'd either take Verse or see if we can trade back with NO and take one of Verse/Latu

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Yeah I'm torn with what to do if Odunze and Verse are sitting there at 9, but if 4 QBs, 2 WRs, 1 OT and 1 DL are gone I'd either take Verse or see if we can trade back with NO and take one of Verse/Latu

The way I look at it is this:

We NEED a starting edge rusher, and Verse is both a worthy top 10 pick IMO and a plug-and-play day 1 starter. I like Walker but he’s not a starting DE on a top defense running a 4-3. It’s by far our biggest need. We need upgrades and depth elsewhere, and at WR3 more than any other position (and there are a half dozen or more viable short term vet WR3 options still available in FA), but by and large we have our starters pretty much set.

We tend to look at the draft as a one year fix it, but reality is that GMs also factor in (and should factor in) player development from prior drafts when constructing a roster. We tend to look at Tyler Scott, for example, as a guy who didn’t live up to expectations last year that were probably too optimistic for him anyway, and that that’s just what he is now, but a GM probably looked at Scott’s prospects with the team through more of a multi-year lens since the day he was drafted. That’s not to say Poles is projecting him to be a fully capable or above average WR3 this year, but he’s expecting something from him, and that’ll factor into what we do at WR, as will the new offensive scheme (and that Scott’s skill set should fit far better with a QB who is adept at throwing crossers and RAC-based routes over the middle than the one who just left, and will benefit from almost exclusively single coverage with Allen and DJ getting primary attention). Conversely, we don’t have anyone at DE right now on whom we can put any kind of developmental projection. We have Sweat, an established Walker who’s ideally a depth guy, and a bunch of street FA types. 

9 hours ago, G08 said:

He's a little more stiff than I prefer, but dude has a 10-yard split faster than some WRs... and he's got cement blocks for hands.

Between you and Huskie you've pretty well nailed why Verse may not be seen as a top ten pick.  He's not gonna get less stiff in the hips, he's not gonna get younger, and he's already as fast as he's ever gonna be.  I would think many GM/Personnel believe he's already at his ceiling.  I think he's gonna be a good player but is he a guy you want to spend a top ten pick on?

If the answer is no then place him where you would take him and compare him to other players you'd take around the same pick.  Maybe this is where a DT like Murphy begins to come into the picture.  Which would Flus rather have?  He's big on his DT and it wouldn't shock me to see them continue to draft DT each year looking for that Aaron Donald type guy.  But not at #9.

16 hours ago, G08 said:

Edge is way more premium position.  I would take an edge over wr in positional value. Easy.  WR is way more deep and way less rare and it seems more and more good ones are in drafts of late.   Conversely, good edges seem to always go in top 15 and almost never hit FA.  You have to trade for them. 

BUT I would take an elite WR over a good or decent edge.  A true elite WR is a huge force multiplier. 

So it comes down to how you good you think they are in my opinion.  

Odunze elite you take him.  Odunze real good and Verse just good.  You take Verse.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, soulman said:

Which would Flus rather have?  He's big on his DT and it wouldn't shock me to see them continue to draft DT each year looking for that Aaron Donald type guy.  But not at #9.

I think Flus would rather have the 3T, but he also has been quite vocal that the biggest jump you see a rookie make is in year 2.

Gervon Dexter, to me, showed progression from week 1 to week 17. I would have to think you give him every single rep at 3T he can handle and if he doesn't show you enough after the 2024 season, then you think about bringing in competition or drafting another player high.

The impact Montez Sweat made should not be discounted, I think Jared Verse could be a damned good DE in this system for the next 5+ years (God-willing he stays healthy, of course).

Verse/Billings/Dexter/Sweat is pretty damned nasty if Dexter plays 25% better than last season. Swap out Billings with Pickens or Walker in passing downs.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Edge is way more premium position.  I would take an edge over wr in positional value. Easy.  WR is way more deep and way less rare and it seems more and more good ones are in drafts of late.   Conversely, good edges seem to always go in top 15 and almost never hit FA.  You have to trade for them. 

BUT I would take an elite WR over a good or decent edge.  A true elite WR is a huge force multiplier. 

So it comes down to how you good you think they are in my opinion.  

Odunze elite you take him.  Odunze real good and Verse just good.  You take Verse.  

12 days / 9 hours / 36 minutes away baby -- let's go!!!

• Like 1

Same thinking with LTs.  LTs are very hard to find and go very early in drafts.  

Why I would strongly consider Alt at 9 if there, which I think he will not be.  Even with it not being a dire need. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Same thinking with LTs.  LTs are very hard to find and go very early in drafts.  

Why I would strongly consider Alt at 9 if there, which I think he will not be.  Even with it not being a dire need. 

I also think for this reason Braxton would fetch more in trade than many think. 

I heard many say a 5th.   I think he would go for a 3rd minimum and maybe a 2nd.   Or a 2025 2nd.   

Starting caliber LTs do not grow on trees.  We of all people should know this.  

14 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears twitter hates Verse.  But they are 95% morons so … 

There is zero reason to hate that kid other than age, and even then that's stupid.

Get a cost-controlled powerful and fast DE for 5 years (age at the start of each season: 23, 24, 25, 26, 27)? Why the hell would anyone scoff at that lol

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 10:47 AM, G08 said:

What makes him a risk in your eyes?

Verse was my top college prospect to monitor, bc of position, size production, hype etc 

I tuned in to watch him closely each game and I just don't see what the hype is about  ...he is solid, probably a starter but hardly a blie chip or game-wrecker, no WAy is he worth a top 10 pick !

• Like 1