2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

5 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

No obvious big names no, but guys like Junior Galette and Ansah could give us some cost effective pass rush help. I'd still throw real money at a true #1 corner like I'd have like to at Bouye last season though.

Lol.  I mean, sorry, trying... Trying.  Let me start over. 

I humbly and wholly disagree with your suggestions.

Junior Galette.  Leaves New Orleans in 2014 over violence and manchild problems because he is a violent manchild that never took off the diapers to put on the big boy pants.  This is a child who has had 3 sacks since 2014.  As a situational pass rusher who played in 16 games, Galette had 3 sacks for the Redskins.  That's after not being on a team since 2014.  There is no help there.  There is nothing there.  Eternal Sunshine him from your mind. 

Ezekiel Ansah. 
*This is a player who ha played his entire career as a 4-3 defensive end.  We are surely going to continue as a 3-4. 
*Pass rushers worth a darn do not make it to free agency.  This is not 1990, this is 2018.  Before you respond, find three pass rushers who were signed to big deals in free agency that turned out to be worth their contract.  I can help you save some time... Vernon was NOT worth it. 
*Ansah's 2016 season consisted of 13 games, 2 sacks.  People are on Matthews this year and he had 8.5 sacks.  How would they act if Matthews was paid 3 million more and had 2 sacks?  That's what you could likely get with Ansah. 
*Ansah's 2017 season.  12 sacks.  Pretty good, right?  Wrong.  Everybody always seems to so easily discount what Matthews did for us by saying he played against crap offensive lines.  Okay, let's dig deeper into Ansah's season.  3 sacks against the Giants.  One sack in the next NINE GAMES.  In fact, between week 3 and week 16 (12 games), Ansah had 3 sacks.  He finished the season strong with 3 sacks against the Bengals, then 3 sacks against us.  With 9 sacks against the Giants, Bengals and Packers and 3 sacks against the rest of his competition, did he have a good season, or did he make sure to make it look that way in a contract year? 
*He is going to be 29 years old by the time next season starts.

When the question is who can save our pass rush for the next five years, Ezekiel is not the Ansah. 

Pass rushers that are worth anything do not come in early free agency.  You can find effective bargains after June 1st, or you can find effective backups, but you cannot find pass rush solutions in early free agency.  Period.  This has to stop. 

On 12/21/2017 at 9:17 AM, Pugger said:

Suh's salary demands would be too much for Ted to consider.  I'd prefer we find one in this upcoming draft.  We would most likely have to give up a lot to move up for a player like Chubb but hopefully there will be a good one there in the first when our turn is up.

Chubb is not a terribly polished pass rusher. He looks like he will be the best out of the group, but wouldn't exactly love us moving up 10 spots giving up our 2nd + maybe next year's 3rd to get someone who won't add a ton as a pass rusher this year. I would be comfortable sitting put for Arden Key or Clellin Ferrell, but my top choice right now I think would be Denzel Ward (the CB) if he made it to us. 

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol.  I mean, sorry, trying... Trying.  Let me start over. 

I humbly and wholly disagree with your suggestions.

Junior Galette.  Leaves New Orleans in 2014 over violence and manchild problems because he is a violent manchild that never took off the diapers to put on the big boy pants.  This is a child who has had 3 sacks since 2014.  As a situational pass rusher who played in 16 games, Galette had 3 sacks for the Redskins.  That's after not being on a team since 2014.  There is no help there.  There is nothing there.  Eternal Sunshine him from your mind. 

Ezekiel Ansah. 
*This is a player who ha played his entire career as a 4-3 defensive end.  We are surely going to continue as a 3-4. 
*Pass rushers worth a darn do not make it to free agency.  This is not 1990, this is 2018.  Before you respond, find three pass rushers who were signed to big deals in free agency that turned out to be worth their contract.  I can help you save some time... Vernon was NOT worth it. 
*Ansah's 2016 season consisted of 13 games, 2 sacks.  People are on Matthews this year and he had 8.5 sacks.  How would they act if Matthews was paid 3 million more and had 2 sacks?  That's what you could likely get with Ansah. 
*Ansah's 2017 season.  12 sacks.  Pretty good, right?  Wrong.  Everybody always seems to so easily discount what Matthews did for us by saying he played against crap offensive lines.  Okay, let's dig deeper into Ansah's season.  3 sacks against the Giants.  One sack in the next NINE GAMES.  In fact, between week 3 and week 16 (12 games), Ansah had 3 sacks.  He finished the season strong with 3 sacks against the Bengals, then 3 sacks against us.  With 9 sacks against the Giants, Bengals and Packers and 3 sacks against the rest of his competition, did he have a good season, or did he make sure to make it look that way in a contract year? 
*He is going to be 29 years old by the time next season starts.

When the question is who can save our pass rush for the next five years, Ezekiel is not the Ansah. 

Pass rushers that are worth anything do not come in early free agency.  You can find effective bargains after June 1st, or you can find effective backups, but you cannot find pass rush solutions in early free agency.  Period.  This has to stop. 

When I first saw Ansah, my mind lit up a little bit thinking about his pass rush in a GB uniform.  Then I actually thought about it....and you are 100% correct about him.

29 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

David Irving is by far my top FA in in the front 7 this year for us. I'm intrigued by Mingo cheap as well.

Not sure if he'd get enough snaps to warrant paying what it will take to get him though.

The Packers biggest defensive issue from a personnel stand point (IMO) is at EDGE and at CB. We all knew what was going to happen with our edge rush heading into this year, and House was no different than he was when they let him walk. My short list is: Ansah, Lawrence, Amukamara, Claiborne, Fuller, Robinson. The first two are pipe dreams though

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:

Not sure if he'd get enough snaps to warrant paying what it will take to get him though.

The Packers biggest defensive issue from a personnel stand point (IMO) is at EDGE and at CB. We all knew what was going to happen with our edge rush heading into this year, and House was no different than he was when they let him walk. My short list is: Ansah, Lawrence, Amukamara, Claiborne, Fuller, Robinson. The first two are pipe dreams though

Yes to the first 3 corners for me

1 minute ago, ugLymayNe said:
2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Yes to the first 3 corners for me

Patrick Robinson would be an immediate upgrade over House too. 

I didn't realize that was patrick robinson. yes. he was fine back on the saints too when I was pulling for him

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:
4 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Junior Galette.

He can still turn the corner and do a few things.  If you're moving on from Brooks, I think he could fill that role, but he's not a starter and not an impact guy.

back to back achilles' tears tho...

28 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

Add in Morgan Burnett to my list of free agents. He's at least the 3rd best defensive player the Packers have (and the leader, IMO). They need him back

I wouldn't pay Burnett anything more than what Hyde got last year, if that.

Archived