2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Interesting reading on how the turnovers for the GB defense really dropped off in the last several years.  Not just related to the decline in talent in the secondary, but overall the number of INT's per game league wide are down from 5-7 years ago.   

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2017/11/2/16593328/dom-capers-packers-defense-interceptions-numbers-offensive-trend-conservative-short-passes

NFL INTs per game

Year INTs Picks/Game
2007 534 2.09
2008 465 1.82
2009 522 2.04
2010 511 2.00
2011 506 1.98
2012 468 1.83
2013 502 1.96
2014 450 1.76
2015 436 1.70
2016 415 1.62
2017  202 1.70

***  2017 is thru 7 games per article

Interesting to see if there is any change in defensive philosophy with a new DC....less reliant on the turnover as more QB's are getting better at protecting the football league wide.

Research suggests the trend strongly correlates with Jay Cutler pass attempts.

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Interesting reading on how the turnovers for the GB defense really dropped off in the last several years.  Not just related to the decline in talent in the secondary, but overall the number of INT's per game league wide are down from 5-7 years ago.   

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2017/11/2/16593328/dom-capers-packers-defense-interceptions-numbers-offensive-trend-conservative-short-passes

NFL INTs per game

Year INTs Picks/Game
2007 534 2.09
2008 465 1.82
2009 522 2.04
2010 511 2.00
2011 506 1.98
2012 468 1.83
2013 502 1.96
2014 450 1.76
2015 436 1.70
2016 415 1.62
2017  202 1.70

***  2017 is thru 7 games per article

Interesting to see if there is any change in defensive philosophy with a new DC....less reliant on the turnover as more QB's are getting better at protecting the football league wide.

Nah if everyone is getting better at lowering them, you need to get EVEN BETTER at forcing them. C'mon

I hope this kid gets a better attitude this offseason ... had high hopes for him, but he mailed it in this season.  

"Seldom, if ever, in my 39 seasons covering the Green Bay Packers has a player been more deserving of being taken off the field and wasn’t than Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Sunday." @BobMcGinn

I'm sure most of you saw this. But man... Dix. Really wish we know what was going on with him. Seems to have the same thought process as Marty B had. Give up once Rodgers was done.  Which is odd because he was one of the most vocal against Bennett. Weird. 

https://www.bobmcginnfootball.com/grading-packers-vs-detroit-lions-clinton-dix-benched/

Edit: So weird. He plays one way, then talks another? 

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/80253/ha-ha-clinton-dix-defends-capers-rips-different-individuals-on-packers-d

I didn't watch the Lions game, but my old man did.  His comments about Dix were that he flat out gave up.  He would come up to the LIS to stop the run, then watch the RB run right by him.

My pops also thought that Burnett gave up, although he didn't offer any specific plays or thoughts, just that he thought the safeties gave up, like they wanted Capers to be fired.

I don't know if it is true, but it sounds like there is some evidence, at least concerning HHCD and lack of effort.

I'd give up too if Dom were my DC. I know it's a professionalism and respect thing, but people quitting on others occurs in all walks of life and the quitters are never held accountable; people just babble on about them.

51 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I didn't watch the Lions game, but my old man did.  His comments about Dix were that he flat out gave up.  He would come up to the LIS to stop the run, then watch the RB run right by him.

My pops also thought that Burnett gave up, although he didn't offer any specific plays or thoughts, just that he thought the safeties gave up, like they wanted Capers to be fired.

I don't know if it is true, but it sounds like there is some evidence, at least concerning HHCD and lack of effort.

The moral of this story is that there was something seriously wrong with the mindset on that side of the ball.  At this point, I can only hope that the new DC can successfully reset the attitude.  There are talented guys on that side who all seem to be on different pages.

17 hours ago, cannondale said:

When someones sister's cousin sees a plane land at Austin Straubel from Chicago and a car goes to 1265

Duh !!

Just yesterday I thought I saw MM at the airport holding a sign that said FANGIO except that I didn't. Turned out to be a random fat guy with a bag of FRITOS

I signed in just to like this post...

HHCD's agent needs to have a chat with client

“It’s business, but at the same time, we’re trying to build a championship team, and if you don’t have the chemistry within the team, and you’ve got so many different individuals coming into the locker room that aren’t worth a s---, it’s kind of tough. Other guys have a different motivation when they come in here. Other guys want to get checks and just get out of here. Some guys just want to go to the Pro Bowl. Some guys are just content with where they’re at right now.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

The moral of this story is that there was something seriously wrong with the mindset on that side of the ball.  At this point, I can only hope that the new DC can successfully reset the attitude.  There are talented guys on that side who all seem to be on different pages.

I really like the guys on defense.  I think we have good players on all levels with some potential for a few guys to become great.  That unit should be better than how it has performed.

58 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Plus he's a figgin' hypocrite in having the nerve to call out his teammates after turning in a piss poor performance like that.  

What was his Wonderlic again?  Looked it up...15.  Just below that of the average Wonderlic for a security guard (17).  Here's the write up on him from McGinn.  Bob's pretty good at draft stuff, but that year he loved him some Justin Gilbert too.  (As did I...ungh...)

HA HA CLINTON-DIX, Alabama (6-1½, 207, 4.59, 1) – Third-year junior. "I truly love him," said one scout. "I think the guy is a damn good football player. He plays fast. He's instinctive as hell. If you want to get caught up in what he ran...I don't know about the brain but he killed it in our interview as far as the video stuff. Some people must have a completely different view of him than I do." Scored 15 on the Wonderlic. "There's just nothing he does really well," another scout said. "He's not particularly athletic, not particularly fast, not explosive, not always physical. You get him and you put him in there and he's just OK. He played at Alabama and started a bunch of games. OK?" Started 20 of 38 games, finishing with 100 tackles (four for loss), seven interceptions and 10 passes defensed. "He's just a solid starter," a third scout said. "The average safety in the league runs 4.6. You don't see a speed deficiency on film. He's a nice, smooth (back) pedaler. Very instinctive. Got nice ball skills." Served a two-game suspension in 2013 for accepting a $500 loan from the school's assistant strength coach. "He's 4.6," another scout said. "He's got good angles and ball skills. Lack of speed will eventually catch up to him. He'll still be a good, solid starter. He scares me." From Eatonville, Fla.

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

HHCD's agent needs to have a chat with client

“It’s business, but at the same time, we’re trying to build a championship team, and if you don’t have the chemistry within the team, and you’ve got so many different individuals coming into the locker room that aren’t worth a s---, it’s kind of tough. Other guys have a different motivation when they come in here. Other guys want to get checks and just get out of here. Some guys just want to go to the Pro Bowl. Some guys are just content with where they’re at right now.

It's just frustration, I don't mind it. No different than Davante and the fans going at it earlier in the season. Frustration creates passion which leads you to speak before you think. He's got a valid point though.

Players on D on a 2nd contract:

Perry, CMIII, Daniels, Burnett

Players on O on a 2nd contract: Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bahk, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga

Our defense has been a college defense pretty much, 4 years and graduate to a new team. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's just frustration, I don't mind it. No different than Davante and the fans going at it earlier in the season. Frustration creates passion which leads you to speak before you think. He's got a valid point though.

Players on D on a 2nd contract:

Perry, CMIII, Daniels, Burnett

Players on O on a 2nd contract: Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bahk, Taylor, Linsley, Bulaga

Our defense has been a college defense pretty much, 4 years and graduate to a new team. 

Oh he may be spot on, but I'm guessing MM doesn't appreciate it and the talk of sh** players cant sit too well throughout

Archived