2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

It was an interesting tidbit

Defense wins Championships....:)

AR can't/shouldn't carry the whole thing himself going forward. Teams with "older" QBs beef up the defense and running game to support their Title chase

Denver did it with Manning and NO is doing it with Brees too, adding Kamara and Lattimore to beef up the non-Brees Saints. AR isn't quite there yet in terms of age, but this next couple of years need to be about a more complete Packers football team

The other thing is that the Packers strategy on defense was to force turnovers, assuming AR would score like crazy and you'd often have the lead.

Perhaps that's changing too as Rodgers moves into the next chapter of his NFL career.

Makes sense, with a defense that was hallway good Hundley could have won a couple more games.

To be clear, I think Hayward is a very good player. Not trying to discredit his accomplishments. But lets look at the offenses he faced this year. 

Broncos Dolphins Chiefs Philly NYG Oak Den NE Jax Bills Dal Cle Was KC Jets Oak

The rest of the passing attacks he faced are joke. Throw in the pass rush he has...

Again I'm not saying hes bad, heck he's #1 rated corner by PFF. What do I know?

Would love a PFF rating per game.

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What did everyone take from this comment? He later went on to explain the 4 aspects of how to improve the defense and money allocation was one. Has me thinking he's looking straight at that WR position, maybe both Cobb and Nelson are gone? This WR class is loading up, maybe a double dip there and a lower priced FA (could be Cobb/Nelson returning).

It just told me why he fired Dom and a couple of other defensive coaches.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Some of the defensive players talked about a lack of leadership in their exit interviews

Who are the defensive leaders for Pettine ? Will he pull in any former guys ?

And are there any CWood / Peppers type LEADERS that GB can grab in FA ?

Along those lines.....I was wondering if he could/would prompt players to *want* to come to GB - to want to play D for him. Dont know.

1 minute ago, Shanedorf said:

Some of the defensive players talked about a lack of leadership in their exit interviews

Who are the defensive leaders for Pettine ? Will he pull in any former guys ?

And are there any CWood / Peppers type LEADERS that GB can grab in FA ?

I don't think there are any in this year's FA class. We may not need those type of leaders as Mike Daniels and CMIII could function as those players. I would also think Morgan Burnett could be that kinda guy given how long he's been here, but he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that would take on that role. 

On the other hand, we need to see what Pettine does the first year and go from there. CWood/Peppers types take years to develop and our defensive group is still relatively young.

9 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Couple positions I think we should fill this FA/Draft.

ILB next to Martinez. Think we need to draft a guy higher here or make a move in FA.

OLB to complement Clay/Perry. 

Depends if we want House back, but Number 2 or 3 Corner.

Backup Saftey.

Backup DL.

I really think Green Bay is going to be OK in the middle. The edges, now that's a different issue. Need two new pass rushers, and 2 new CBs. That said....if the Alabama kid, Fitzpatrick, falls you almost have to take him. 

1 minute ago, Hands said:

I really think Green Bay is going to be OK in the middle. The edges, now that's a different issue. Need two new pass rushers, and 2 new CBs. That said....if the Alabama kid, Fitzpatrick, falls you almost have to take him. 

Ya I wouldn't mind them not making big moves for one, but I think having good MLBs are great for a defense. If we had 2 good ones back there especially for a 3-4, think it will help big time. The more talent we have at all positions the better.

11 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Ya I wouldn't mind them not making big moves for one, but I think having good MLBs are great for a defense. If we had 2 good ones back there especially for a 3-4, think it will help big time. The more talent we have at all positions the better.

If we get the CB position figured out, having Martinez and Ryan as your Base backers is fine. Moving towards the dime you have one of Burnett or Jones. I don't think you'll find a better coverage Linebacker than Burnett. He's the guy we have to go after in FA.

1 minute ago, HighCalebR said:

If we get the CB position figured out, having Martinez and Ryan as your Base backers is fine. Moving towards the dime you have one of Burnett or Jones. I don't think you'll find a better coverage Linebacker than Burnett. He's the guy we have to go after in FA.

Thats true. Would like to see Jones there if he improves.

Archived