The official catch rule thread

3rivers

As Ive been saying since the game, Im not going to bash the CALL too much because based on the actual, stupid pathetic rule, it was called right....I guess.....and couldve went against any team in the league in any game.    Its just sad that something like this decided the outcome of such a huge game.   These terrible rules and poor enforcements of rules is part of the reason why my fandom of the NFL is dwindling more and more every week.

After watching the play over and over again, though, there is no way you can convince me he doesnt have possession.   He clearly makes a football move when he brings the ball closer to his body as he is falling to the ground, and then proceeds to stretch the ball over the plane.     

At most, its one of those things where the call on the field should have stood.    If it had been called an incompleition on the field....so be it.   It was called a TD....he had pretty clear control, and then reached the ball over where the ground caused it to wobble.    I know that last part is the bread and butter of the argument, but again, if he clearly established control (which he did beyond any doubt IMO), then it shouldve been a TD as soon as the ball crossed the line.

If the play didnt serve as a mulligan for the Patriots at the end of the biggest game of the year, I wouldnt be as upset.    But it decided the entire game, and possibly, the entire season.

On a slightly off topic note....I find it funny how many Patriots fans are claiming they were held all game and that we had numerous DPIs we got away with when their team did too.     Juju and Eli Rogers were both interfered with or at least held (look at the interception play where Eli's jersey is grabbed), and Cam Heyward and TJ Watt were held at least 3 or 4 times that I saw,  Not saying it cost us the game, but it seems like its just deflection from the elephant in the room.

No real excuses for the loss, though.   I think we outplayed them and I think James catch was clearly a TD, but in the end, both teams made plays when they had to and the Pats got the last bounce to go their way.

This article gives the history of the rule and all the changes.

“It just doesn’t make sense to me, it logically doesn’t make sense to me,” Emanuel said. “So you need to be classified as a runner—if you have the ball, you’re a runner. Whether you’re diving for extra yardage, whether you’re running for extra yardage, whether you’re falling for extra yardage, you are classified as a runner.

“My thought is the process stops when the ball is in my hand, and for a split second as I’m moving forward, it does not move at all. It does not move. I know in my head when it’s a fumble, or when it’s a catch.”

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:16 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

As Ive been saying since the game, Im not going to bash the CALL too much because based on the actual, stupid pathetic rule, it was called right....I guess.....and couldve went against any team in the league in any game.    Its just sad that something like this decided the outcome of such a huge game.   These terrible rules and poor enforcements of rules is part of the reason why my fandom of the NFL is dwindling more and more every week.

After watching the play over and over again, though, there is no way you can convince me he doesnt have possession.   He clearly makes a football move when he brings the ball closer to his body as he is falling to the ground, and then proceeds to stretch the ball over the plane.     

At most, its one of those things where the call on the field should have stood.    If it had been called an incompleition on the field....so be it.   It was called a TD....he had pretty clear control, and then reached the ball over where the ground caused it to wobble.    I know that last part is the bread and butter of the argument, but again, if he clearly established control (which he did beyond any doubt IMO), then it shouldve been a TD as soon as the ball crossed the line.

If the play didnt serve as a mulligan for the Patriots at the end of the biggest game of the year, I wouldnt be as upset.    But it decided the entire game, and possibly, the entire season.

On a slightly off topic note....I find it funny how many Patriots fans are claiming they were held all game and that we had numerous DPIs we got away with when their team did too.     Juju and Eli Rogers were both interfered with or at least held (look at the interception play where Eli's jersey is grabbed), and Cam Heyward and TJ Watt were held at least 3 or 4 times that I saw,  Not saying it cost us the game, but it seems like its just deflection from the elephant in the room.

No real excuses for the loss, though.   I think we outplayed them and I think James catch was clearly a TD, but in the end, both teams made plays when they had to and the Pats got the last bounce to go their way.

I always see holding on both sides. Its hard not to have the blinders on though and I fully admit I go full homer sometimes. I think the Steelers definitely outplayed the Patriots, it just came down to the last bounce as you said.

9 hours ago, iothar said:

I always see holding on both sides. Its hard not to have the blinders on though and I fully admit I go full homer sometimes. I think the Steelers definitely outplayed the Patriots, it just came down to the last bounce as you said.

I thought it was quite even, but could be perceived as the steelers outplaying them based on history :S A rematch this playoff would have it's share of hype, lets see if it happens and if it delivers without drama.

Archived