Packfanfb's Final "One Week Out" 2024 Mock Draft

Draft is 8 days away (glad because I'm hitting the mock draft wall at this point). As Packers fans I think this could be one of the most unpredictable 1st rounds we have had in a while simply because we have four Day 2 picks, giving us all the ammo Gute needs if he wants to make a move. He could package 25+41 and move up close to 11-12. He could package 25+58 for 15-16 or 25+ 88 or 91 to get up around 20. Basically, no player between 11 and 24 is reasonably "out of reach" for Gute...if that's the guy he really wants. As we inch closer to the draft, I think a trade up in Round 1 is a real possibility... which of course is why I am going in the other direction in the mock below: 

Round 1: TRADE: Packers like but don’t love the board at 25 and see an opportunity to gain another mid-round pick from Buffalo who wants to move up a few spots to secure a WR after the Diggs trade: Packers get 28 and 128 for 25.

Round 1 (28) – Kingsley Suamataia (OT) – BYU – 6’5”, 326 lbs, RAS: 9.38

Cheesehead TV | Devoted to Green Bay Packers fans worldwide

I had the Packers taking Suamataia at 41 in a prior mock, but I don’t think he’ll be there based on the latest buzz. Here’s why I think he’s the pick: For purposes of this mock, I am taking as true the “Packers want to move Tom to OC by 2025” hype, so operating off that theory, I think the Packers have true interest in a round 1 OT. That being said, I don’t think that guy is Mims or Guyton (especially the latter). I think it’s Suamataia, for several reasons. One, he’s closer to the typical size metrics (a little heavy but not too much). Two, he has experience at both OT positions in college (was better in 2022 at RT versus LT in 2023, but worked at both). Three, he’s a young 21 years old (added bonus). This is added to the fact that he’s an elite athlete (yes, no agility testing but I’m guessing the Packers have a good idea of what those numbers would look like). Finally, Gute has at least some track record of straying from the consensus board a bit when drafting later in the 1st round. Examples (consensus rank in parentheses): Savage 21 (42); Love 26 (35); Stokes 29 (46); Walker 22 (51). I found this trend somewhat interesting, and it would fit once again if Gute went with Suamataia over a few of the other more popular OT choices who may be there (personally, I like Suamataia better than Guyton anyways, Mims would be closer for me). If the Packers truly plan to move Tom inside in 2025, Suamataia could be groomed for the RT (or LT) position to replace him.

Round 2 (41) – Edgerrin Cooper (LB) – Texas A&M – 6’2”, 230 lbs, RAS: 9.26

Steelers Would Surprise No One By Targeting Top Linebacker Prospect Edgerrin  Cooper

Day 2 is typically where Gute tries the hardest to match BPA with the most pressing roster needs, so this is the day where I think LB and SAF are addressed. Up until recently, I have been pretty resistant to the Packers being “team Cooper” simply because if the plan is to play Walker at the Will in this defense, Cooper, to me, seemed kind of redundant. However, Gute’s recent presser sort of changed my mind because he was pretty clear that he doesn’t view the OBLB position that way…meaning he doesn’t seem to really care about traditional size/metrics for a will LB vs. a sam LB, etc. Instead, he said he basically views all the LBs as interchangeable players. With that said, Cooper makes more sense, and it may be up to Hafley on how to use him with Walker on the field at the same time. If nothing else, Cooper is a supreme athlete and with a weaker LB class in general, I think the Packers might pounce on him at 41 versus wait for what they believe would be a lesser player later.

Round 2 (58) – Cole Bishop (SAF) – Utah – 6’2”, 206 lbs, RAS: 9.86

Cole Bishop NFL Draft 2024: Scouting Report for Utah S | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Through the process, Bishop has emerged as one of my favorite safeties, especially when thinking about who would pair the best with McKinney. Bullard from Georgia would be another candidate here, but I think the Packers will like Bishop’s size advantage, especially as a box defender. Bishop is young (21), a team captain, Senior Bowl player, and I read that Hafley apparently recruited Bishop before he ended up at Utah. I previously had been mocking Bishop to us at 88, but I think that’s a stretch at this point. I think he’s a legit late 2 or very early round 3 guy. So, rather than use picks to trade up at this point, I just nab him at 58.

Round 3 (88) – DeWayne Carter (DL) – Duke – 6’2”, 303 lbs, RAS: 7.67

Duke's DeWayne Carter Named 2023 William V. Campbell Trophy Finalist -  Atlantic Coast Conference

Carter is actually one my favorite DL in the draft that does not seem to get a lot of buzz. He didn’t have a top-notch RAS (still decent), however, it was weighed down by his agility scores (something I don’t care as much about for an IDL player). His speed and explosion grades were both very solid. I like Carter here because he’s a more consistent and established player than some of the more hyped-up guys in this range. Very good player against run, decent arm length for being only 6’2” (33 in arms), big powerful hands, and another team captain (good culture fit). Can likely play base DE or IDL in our scheme and you can never have too many good DL.

Round 3 (91) – Dominick Puni (OG/OC/OT) – Kansas – 6’5”, 303 lbs, RAS: 8.08

Dominick Puni NFL Draft 2024: Scouting Report for Kansas IOL | News,  Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Puni is the Barton consolation prize in this draft, IMO. Very versatile player who can (and has) played all 5 positions across the line, and showed that versatility during the Senior Bowl practices. His best position may end up being OG, but has sufficient arm length to play OT as well (33.375). Puni’s agility scores are great (important for GB’s OL). Basically, the only real knock on the guy (and one of the reasons I think he lasts until round 3), is that he’s 24 years old (but he just turned 24 in February). Still, he adds great depth to the OL and may be even more ready to play day 1, if needed, over Suamataia.

Round 4: Packers use the Bills pick they acquired (128) plus their own pick (126) to trade up to the beginning of round 4 (pick 102 from Seattle).

Round 4 (102) – Renardo Green (CB) – FSU – 6’0”, 186 lbs, RAS: 8.19

Renardo Green's Draft Profile | Florida State, CB Scouting Report

Green might not make it through round 3, but here, he’s still on board when Day 3 starts and Gutey makes a move. Other than being about 4-5 pounds under the 190 threshold, Green fits every other Packers metric and was a top press-cover CB in college last year. Plays physical with his frame as well, and is not a liability in the run game (good clip of him on X shedding Guyton and making a run stop in the backfield). Green could come in and instantly compete with Valentine and Stokes for that No. 2 perimeter spot.  

Round 5 (168) – Isaiah Davis (RB) – SDS – 6’0”, 218 lbs, RAS: 8.86

Isaiah Davis - 2023 - Football - South Dakota State University Athletics

In round 5, Packers go back to their Jack Rabbit hive and select Kraft’s teammate, Davis. Another Senior Bowl player with a ton of production in college (yes, against lesser competition), but I really like some of Davis’ metrics and I see him as more of a Dillon replacement (whether this year or next). He’s not a game-breaking speed back but had one of the best scores in CFB last year in YPC against heavy boxes (good vision and nimble feet). Good hands out of the backfield as well.

Round 6 (201) – Blake Watson (RB) – Memphis – 5’9”, 200 lbs, RAS: 8.91

Blake Watson - The Achievement of Good Work | Behind the Stripes Memphis  Athletics

Packers double up on day 3 at RB, this time getting their Aaron Jones type. One of only two RBs in 2023 FBS/FCS who had over 1,000 yards rushing and 50 receptions (Irving the other). Watson is lightning in a bottle and an explosive athlete (4.4 speed, 41.5 vert). Frankly, he could end up going earlier than this, but most mocks I’m reading still have him in this range. He helps the Packers complete the rebuild of their RB room with Jacobs (I think Dillon is gone after this year (or this year) based on the contract he signed, and Wilson is still a PS-type player IMO).

Round 6 (219) – Evan Williams (SAF) – Oregon – 5’11”, 200 lbs, RAS: 8.18

Oregon football: Evan Williams heading to the NFL

Williams is a versatile SAF prospect with nearly 500 ST reps as well (his main value here). Met with the Packers earlier in the process and is another Senior Bowl guy (Packers love them). Adds more depth to a rebuilt SAF room and adds to ST, especially considering the new kickoff format.

Round 7 (245) – Donovan Jennings (OT/OG) – USF – 6’4”, 328 lbs, RAS: 9.68

Donovan Jennings - Football - USF Athletics

Throughout this process, I have felt that the Packers will end up taking 3 OL in this draft. Jennings is a Top 30 visit guy and another “versatile” player with experience at OT and OG.

Round 7 (255) – Kedon Slovis (QB) – BYU – 6’2”, 223 lbs, RAS: 9.34

Kedon Slovis Sends Farewell Message To BYU Football

A QB with a high RAS score in the 7th round. Sure. 

• Like 5

Wasn't Slovik a 5-star recruit coming out of high school? I think he could be out our back up. 

I like that you grabbed 3 offensive linemen. Overall, pretty good. Agree with @Arthur Penske that another LBer would have been nice. 

I'd maybe rather have Cullen Jenkins nephew at 88 if he is still there. 

I don't like that you went back-to-back RB's in a draft that's historically deep at OL; I'd draft 4 in this scenario. I also think many of your picks are much earlier than the players will go except for maybe Cole Bishop. Suamataia is a HUGE reach at 25. That said, Cooper is a bit early at 41, but we may reach on him at 25 to satisfy Hafley and I'm confident he can work out in Hafley's scheme so the pick would be justified there; hell you could switch your first two picks around and it would make more sense. Carter's a Day 3 guy as well as he's crap against the run.

I really like the direction you took with this draft, however, especially what you did Day 2 outside of the Carter pick.