2024: Around the NFL

Forge

So if I'm looking at this ARSB contract correctly, it's basically 3 years at 20m per and then he can be traded/cut for pretty minimal dead cap in the final two years, saving 50m+? 

2 hours ago, adamq said:

So if I'm looking at this ARSB contract correctly, it's basically 3 years at 20m per and then he can be traded/cut for pretty minimal dead cap in the final two years, saving 50m+? 

So these deals are always tricky because you have to account for the current year he was where he was going to make next to nothing. He was on the 4th year of a 3rd or 4th round rookie contract which is nothing. 

He's got 16.5 signing bonus + 8.3 base + 8.5 option + 27.5 base salary for 2026 (practically guaranteed, but not fully guaranteed, technically) + 7.4 million of 2027 salary (it guarantees in 2026 when he really can't be cut). He's got about an extra 1.2 that he can in 25 and 26 that is non guaranteed bonuses. I'm not including his 2024 base salary because that was already existing on the current deal, it just wasn't guaranteed.  

2027 is really the first year that they can cut him if they want. That would be about 17 million dead on a 29 million dollar cap hit. They could trade him and it would be about about 10 million dead. 

So really what you're looking at is a 3 year deal starting right now for right around 70 million which is about 23 million a year. 

A primary difference between he and Aiyuk though is that his existing contract was so much lower. Aiyuk is getting paid 14 million this year no matter what. ARSB was getting like 1.4 or whatever. That gives you a little fluidity in the contract negotiations because you have a lot more ground you can cover to even out that current year for the Lions 

• Like 1

I will say, after the smoke has cleared, it is very evident that both the Lions & Iggles have restocked the cupboard and are definitely coming for the the crown in 2024.

They've definitely addressed some deficiencies, both in the draft & free agency.

• Like 2

I definitely think the Lions have a better roster overall than the Niners right now....but their QB is Goff, that's the big x factor.  Pressure that guy and he turns into a pumpkin.  Pressure Brock and his balls grow larger.  Also, Brock might take another leap.  I wish the Lions OC left..would feel a lot better - he kind of counters Kyle's advantage in playcalling.  They also took advantage of Wilks being awful in the playoff game, and we upgraded there (I'm a Staley fan, as a DC).  

The Eagles...great roster, but I don't believe in Hurts anymore after last year.  He looked like he wanted to quit.  I didn't see it, niners took his soul. Siriani is an emotional basketcase. 

Green Bay.....scary.  Rams...also very scary, thank God Donald retired, but still pretty scary. 

Unfortunately I still feel the Niners are weak where it matters most. Dline is still a question for me, and we all know about OL...and honestly, I don't think adding Rosengarten or Kingsley would've made me feel much better.  They probably needed to add one of the top 5 tackles to address the issue for '24.  Kind of feels like they are going to try and put up 35 points a game to mask any deficiencies.   I'm worried about the defense overall.  We have no idea how Huf is going to look.  We have no idea if Greenlaw will even play.  We have no idea how this new dline will play.  Secondary should be better.  What gives me hope is I actually think Staley is a damn good defensive mind. If Kyle's mind and Staley's mind find a groove together, it could be lights out. 

Edited by WhyAmIHere
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, adamq said:

Just as Brenden Rice is entering the league, Rashee is doing things to get himself kicked out. There can only be one

He’s really not playing this well lol.