2024: Around the NFL

Forge

13 hours ago, Forge said:

🤔 I know he is long in the tooth, but that doesn't seem like a terrible trade at all... Wonder if our 9ers kicked the tires on that idea or were we too absorbed in the BA circus?

EDIT: I was not aware he had a season ending injury early last year... A bit high of a price, in that light. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
Newly discovered info!

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

🤔 I know he is long in the tooth, but that doesn't seem like a terrible trade at all... Wonder if our 9ers kicked the tires on that idea or were we too absorbed in the BA circus?

EDIT: I was not aware he had a season ending injury early last year... A bit high of a price, in that light. 

I think I read somewhere that he was a part of the trade package for BA. 2, Judon, and Bourne I think.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

The bears could be really good as soon as this year. Really seems like Caleb is the real deal

I feel like they have an insanely wide range of outcomes this year.  I have no idea if they will be good, but they will certainly be exciting.  The way Caleb Williams holds onto the ball is both beautiful and dangerous. 

Williams is really good, but the Bears are really bad at blocking.  That is going to make for a very crazy and interesting year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Maybe so. But on that highlight throw he made today, why spin out of an open pocket??? 🤔

that was him in college too. Not sure why he does that

• Like 2

On 8/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, Forge said:

The bears could be really good as soon as this year. Really seems like Caleb is the real deal

I am not convinced his schtick will work in the NFL. It was maddening and delightful in alternating measures in college, but NFL Defenses are smarter and faster. Also, it only takes one serious knee injury to stop that crap (RGIII anyone?).

And then there's Mahomie who has had the damned best injury luck of any current QB in the NFL. So, who knows?! 🙄

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 7:38 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

I am not convinced his schtick will work in the NFL. It was maddening and delightful in alternating measures in college, but NFL Defenses are smarter and faster. Also, it only takes one serious knee injury to stop that crap (RGIII anyone?).

And then there's Mahomie who has had the damned best injury luck of any current QB in the NFL. So, who knows?! 🙄

Oh, he's going to take a ton of sacks. And that's what may prevent them from being a good team this year.  I agree with @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 that the variance in the possible Bears outcomes is going to be very wide. The arm plays though, and I think he's capable of playing in rhythm, though we'll have to see it more consistently. 

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh, he's going to take a ton of sacks. And that's what may prevent them from being a good team this year.  I agree with @Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 that the variance in the possible Bears outcomes is going to be very wide. The arm plays though, and I think he's capable of playing in rhythm, though we'll have to see it more consistently. 

I do think that he's going to have real issues with fumbles, too. But explosive plays can offset sacks + fumbles, especially when you have so many tools to generate them. For every Mahomes and Allen (and Brock!) that have sack avoidance as a major plus, you have your Aaron Rodgerses and not washed Russell Wilsons that thrive on hanging on to the ball, and nailing deep balls to make up for the sacks and occasional fumbles. Now, those guys, especially Aaron, are really really good because they hang on to the ball and attack the outside in order to not throw INTs. That's gonna be the thing that makes or breaks it for Caleb, I think. You can take sacks and the occasional fumble, but ya can't also throw an above average number of picks.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Maybe so. But on that highlight throw he made today, why spin out of an open pocket??? 🤔

Sometimes movement by the QB can change throwing lanes. It reshuffles the deck so to speak. 

He might already be the best QB in the league at throwing on the run. Which is saying something. 

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Sometimes movement by the QB can change throwing lanes. It reshuffles the deck so to speak. 

He might already be the best QB in the league at throwing on the run. Which is saying something. 

Don't have any issue with him moving. Just him turning his back to the defense, and his receivers seemed weird when the pocket was still viable. Even bailing early to his left wasn't so much the issue. Just the 360 spin. But it's fine if it works for him. It's his style of play. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe