1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

11 minutes ago, viking said:

How long until McCarthy can start working on footwork?

2/3 months?

No way to know for sure, but if I had to guess, it'd be December/January before they even think about doing football related stuff. They usually restrict motion for a month plus after a repair. Then they have to ramp up to full range of motion, strength and conditioning, etc. If he's a freak healer there's a world where he could get back to practice this season, but I highly doubt it.

• Like 3

At least the surgery went well by all accounts and the road to recovery has begun. It sounds like this was the best-case scenario given the injury for his long-term future. As long as KOC and McCown are around I've got all the faith in the world in JJ moving forward.

• Like 4

Just now, VikeManDan said:

At least the surgery went well by all accounts and the road to recovery has begun. It sounds like this was the best-case scenario given the injury for his long-term future. As long as KOC and McCown are around I've got all the faith in the world in JJ moving forward.

I would bet money on Wes Phillips being shoved out the door next off-season & McCown given the OC job

Just now, viking said:

I would bet money on Wes Phillips being shoved out the door next off-season & McCown given the OC job

What makes you think that? Phillips getting HC interviews? McCown threatening to leave MN for an OC job elsewhere?

I think the offensive staff will remain mostly intact, I'm probably most worried about McCardell leaving.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

What makes you think that? Phillips getting HC interviews? McCown threatening to leave MN for an OC job elsewhere?

I think the offensive staff will remain mostly intact, I'm probably most worried about McCardell leaving.

How Involved KOC has had McCown in McCarthy's development and how abscent Phillips has been in the process (haven't read or seen a single thing about Phillips all off season).

I just get the vibe that KOC & McCown are best buddies in building and McCown would be KOCs preference as OC.

26 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

i have all the faith in the world in JJ turning this into a positive.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, viking said:

How Involved KOC has had McCown in McCarthy's development and how abscent Phillips has been in the process (haven't read or seen a single thing about Phillips all off season).

I just get the vibe that KOC & McCown are best buddies in building and McCown would be KOCs preference as OC.

16 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

there's a big difference between a coach being very active in developing a young QB, and an offensive coordinator dealing with all aspects of an offense.

I agree with vike daddy's thoughts.

For one that is McCown's job as QB coach and obviously KOC has a vested interest in his rookie QBs progress. His career as Vikings HC is essentially tied to how JJ performs. Wes is definitely involved to some extent but has to orchestrate the entire offense. 

KOC and Wes have also worked together since 2017 in Washington, then Los Angeles, and now Minnesota. There was a one-year gap in 2019 when Wes left for LA and KOC remained in WASH. I'm not saying it is impossible for that transition to occur but I'd say it is unlikely right now.