1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15

As the 17th player taken, Turner clearly waited a lot longer to hear his name called than most of us expected. Again, it would have made plenty of sense for him to go to Atlanta with the eighth overall selection. It was even a surprise to hear him not be the player Indianapolis liked at No. 15, where the Colts selected Latu. The bottom line is, Turner will end up with considerably less cash than he would have earned going nine slots earlier. Some of this had to do with offensive players dominating the first half of the draft, but the upside is that Turner lands with a defensive coordinator (Brian Flores) who will be extremely creative in utilizing him.

NFL.com

Initial impressions of this move up I like a bit less, but also how bad must the Vikings think (and I'd suspect a few other teams) the 2025 draft is going to be. 

But as for Turner, I like him quite well though he wasn't my top edge. But I was doing some last listening to some draft podcasts yesterday afternoon and it was brought up how he might be more like an Anthony Barr type of player. Which I think could be great for the Vikings and Flores, big, very athletic, can get after the passer but is solid against the run as well. And might not be the best in pass coverage yet but has the physical traits to do so. And if he's Barr 2.0 optimized in a system that will probably get him after the QB a bit more, I think the schematic fit is awesome.

• Like 3

I looked at the NFL alumni from his HS (at least the one he went to his senior season)...they include both Bosa brothers, former Gopher (and son of former Viking) Benny Sapp III, Asante Samuel, Jr, Geno Atkins, Michael Irvin...and legendary Brian Piccolo. 

At his previous HS, he was coached by Patrick Surtain and played with his Pat Surtain, Jr (Brian Burns also went there).  At the school he went to for his senior season, he was coached by the Dolphins legend Jason Taylor. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Yeah I just thought he'd be following the trade discussions closer 

There was no need for him to be directly in the kitchen, he let Kwesi cook. 

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I always figured the head coach would be more in the know of what the gm is doing

Well, he's not involved in the trade discussions.  He has knowledge of the plan, but he's not sitting there listening on the line.  This is the GM's day.  If you saw the video about Monti Ossenfort with the Cardinals during the last draft, everything was running through him.  Gannon was there, but he really wasn't involved. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

There was no need for him to be directly in the kitchen, he let Kwesi cook. 

Different that last year when he was telling him to hang up the phone.  That was different though with them actually being on the clock

• Like 1

Nick Saban was interviewed during ABC's coverage of the draft and compared Turner to Dont’a Hightower, who played a pivotal role on Alabama's 2011 National Championship team:

"This guy's quiet, but he's a great leader. He sets a great example. He works hard every day in practice. He has position-flexibility. People keep comparing him to Will Anderson; he's more like Dont'a Hightower. He went inside, he got outside, we stood him up, he's a good rusher. He can take gaps inside. So I think the versatility is phenomenal."

Hightower was drafted 25th overall by New England in 2012 and went on to play 10 seasons for the Patriots, earning three Super Bowl rings and a pair of Pro Bowl nods.

https://www.vikings.com/news/dallas-turner-nfl-draft-5-things-to-know

• VikeManDan changed the title to 1.17 - Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama - #15