Round 1 Pick 20 OT Troy Fautanu 6'3 317

This dude is like a heat seeking missile in space. He's going to be a nightmare for opposing DBs. I think we're going to have one of the more athletic OT duos in the league. I think our screen game might actually be semi functional. 

• Like 3

I can see 2 scenarios at OT playing out because of the flexibility of our future starting OTs.

1. Fautanu needs a bit of development, start the year with Jones still at RT. Fautanu eventually slots into LT.
  2. More likely (or maybe it's just hope). You just got into the year with the plan of Jones at LT and Fautanu at RT and run with it.

I do think Fautanu is the more likely RT, but it seems like either of him or Jones can play LT well. I just hope they don't over think this.

23 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I can see 2 scenarios at OT playing out because of the flexibility of our future starting OTs.

1. Fautanu needs a bit of development, start the year with Jones still at RT. Fautanu eventually slots into LT.
  2. More likely (or maybe it's just hope). You just got into the year with the plan of Jones at LT and Fautanu at RT and run with it.

I do think Fautanu is the more likely RT, but it seems like either of him or Jones can play LT well. I just hope they don't over think this.

It’s gonna be 2. 

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It’s gonna be 2. 

I would hope, but there's a possibility they try both Jones and Fautanu at both OT positions to see where they want them. If Fautanu projects to be their eventual LT more (seems more natural fit for RT if he can flip over there), then there's a possibility Moore starts the year at LT so they aren't rushing Fautanu.

There's also a possibility, as stated elsewhere, that they trade Moore now that they have their OTs.

4 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I would hope, but there's a possibility they try both Jones and Fautanu at both OT positions to see where they want them. If Fautanu projects to be their eventual LT more (seems more natural fit for RT if he can flip over there), then there's a possibility Moore starts the year at LT so they aren't rushing Fautanu.

There's also a possibility, as stated elsewhere, that they trade Moore now that they have their OTs.

I can’t see it. Tomlin really is a go in set and only change if it fails. I just think about Chucks at LT and Moore at RT in the HOF game and it failing spectacularly before flipping right back. 

also:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1783884848173814196?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I think Faunatu is more athletic. I think he will be the better pass protector, so he should stay on the left side. He should compete against Moore and back him up for the first part of the season. I don't think the Steelers thought they were going to get such a left tackle capable player. The Steelers have a good problem to figure out, but continuity in the line is important, so I don't think you want multiple changes at proximate, different points in time if you can help it. This narrative about Jones needing to go to LT eventually is pure nonsense IMO. There is nothing necessary or absolute there, even if the FO said it before they got a player they had ranked 10th in this draft. 

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

I did a little but then turned it off but likely for a different reason - I thought he was going to be long gone. After sleeping on this pick I just love it so much more.  He's so technically sound, moves his feet so well, but adds in a mean streak to the run game of knock a guy out his cleats.  I swore he was going to be gone by 15 which is why I gave up.  I thought there was no chance for him to get to us.  

I love the dup of him and Jones.  Two athletic, strong, mean OT's on the edges.  I think the VERY underrated thing about him is say Jones gets hurt, Fautanu can flip over there.

never a concern at LT for the next 5 years and for low cap value. Now if they extend Daniels and then Semo, all we need is Frazier and the OL is set for a long time yet also not over the cap amount  as would be expected for such calibre. This is where good drafting helps and a mix of youth and vets.  

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

I just think about Chucks at LT and Moore at RT in the HOF game and it failing spectacularly

aren't you thrilled about a new FO that actually cares about the OL ;)

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

aren't you thrilled about a new FO that actually cares about the OL ;)

Yes, but I think it’s the trenches on both sides they care about, and it would be really interesting to see what they would do in a deep DL draft. The need is more imminent and available on the offensive side…wonder if it flips next year? I do know/believe that Sweat could end being a bargain that takes their line to a different level and potentially turns Benton into a star.

I don't mind the push-back but Fauntanu is a better pass protector than Broderick Jones. I know Jones wants to play LT but the team should let them battle it out and select the better player.