Round 1 Pick 20 OT Troy Fautanu 6'3 317

Former Steelers TE & current Steelers scout Mark Bruener raved about Troy Fautanu to the Steelers. Steelers had teams wanting to trade down but Coach Tomlin was in love with Fautanu and said " No trade". He was supposedly the number 1 player on their board. Fautanu turns 24 in October. He grew up a Steelers fan especially Troy P. 5 position capable but Steelers plan on playing him at Tackle. Top 10 rated player on most draft boards. First player drafted in the first round where Tomlin/Colbert/Khan weren't around. Brandon Thorn raved on him and there are even Markice Pouncey comparisons. Here We Go!

Even with just two starts at LG, Fautanu was my OG1 in this class with an easy to project skill-set inside where he should thrive.
@mikegolicjr said he reminded him of Maurkice Pouncey and I think NAILED that one here.

RD 1 | PK 20 - Steelers: Troy Fautanu OT, Washington The @Steelers select the 6th offensive tackle off the board, and the 3rd-highest rated tackle according to NGS overall draft score (86) in the 2024 class.

In my annual ‘My guys’ article I picked one true projected first round pick who was my favorite to study and it was Troy Fautanu. Full article + the 16 play snapshot of what he offers here: https://open.substack.com/pub/trenchwarfare/p/my-guys-along-the-offensive-line-426?r=2shrw&utm_medium=ios

• Like 1

Thanks for getting this thread up! I'm excited for Fautanu. I think OTs are becoming more equal in terms of value. I'm not worried about starting him or Broderick Jones at either spot. I think we're going to be able to bully some people with those two. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Thanks for getting this thread up! I'm excited for Fautanu. I think OTs are becoming more equal in terms of value. I'm not worried about starting him or Broderick Jones at either spot. I think we're going to be able to bully some people with those two. 

No problem. This is a player I didn't even look up. I wish the best and will root for him.

21 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Soooo, are we looking for and OC pr an RT now

Depends on how we actually play Fauntanu as he's supposedly solid at every position on the OL. I can realistically see us looking for a Center.

51 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Soooo, are we looking for and OC pr an RT now

Don't need a RT. Provided he's not compelte trash, he and Jones are penciled in as teh bookends on either side. OC is the main concern on the line right now.

7 hours ago, armsteeld said:

No problem. This is a player I didn't even look up. I wish the best and will root for him.

I did a little but then turned it off but likely for a different reason - I thought he was going to be long gone. After sleeping on this pick I just love it so much more.  He's so technically sound, moves his feet so well, but adds in a mean streak to the run game of knock a guy out his cleats.  I swore he was going to be gone by 15 which is why I gave up.  I thought there was no chance for him to get to us.  

I love the dup of him and Jones.  Two athletic, strong, mean OT's on the edges.  I think the VERY underrated thing about him is say Jones gets hurt, Fautanu can flip over there.

• Like 1