Round 1 Pick 20 OT Troy Fautanu 6'3 317

12 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

I don't mind the push-back but Fauntanu is a better pass protector than Broderick Jones. I know Jones wants to play LT but the team should let them battle it out and select the better player.

And I’ll be honest. I never bought into the concept of LT being “pass blocking” and RT being “run blocking” like is often pushed. Just put guys where they would perform best and let them go perform. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

And I’ll be honest. I never bought into the concept of LT being “pass blocking” and RT being “run blocking” like is often pushed. Just put guys where they would perform best and let them go perform. 

Especially now. This isn't the days of Lawrence Taylor being the only outside passrusher in the league. Dudes are rushing from everywhere now. Shoot, we've got TJ who only rushes against RTs. If you don't have a pair of OTs that can pass block you're in for a world of hurt.

• Like 1

You don't have to buy into it but LTs are considered the protectors of QBs due to most offenses being right side operated. The RTs are normally the bigger stronger guys who are the better run blockers. It can not mean a difference to fans but it does to coaches/teams and players and their agents. Also, Broderick WANTS LT but Fautanu actually has way more experience playing on the LT side.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, armsteeld said:

You don't have to buy into it but LTs are considered the protectors of QBs due to most offenses being right side operated. The RTs are normally the bigger stronger guys who are the better run blockers. It can not mean a difference to fans but it does to coaches/teams and players and their agents. Also, Broderick WANTS LT but Fautanu actually has way more experience playing on the LT side.

To me, it’s a no brainer that Moore and Fautanu should compete on the left side for the starting job, with Jones staying right where he is. 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:44 AM, warfelg said:

The most athletic OT I've ever seen, Lane Johnson, being a star at RT his entire career makes me agree wholeheartedly with that.  I think back in the day there was something to that belief, but nowadays not so much.  Just look at us.  We have the best pass rusher in the NFL going against a RT every game.  Highsmith is getting singled up, but against a LT, because TJ is better on the other side.  Now where would you rather have your premier pass blocker play against the Steelers?  LT or RT?  Against Watt or Highsmith?  Highsmith is ok, but that's it.  Watt is HOFer.  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 12:47 PM, armsteeld said:

Agreed on Fautanu being much more experienced on the left side.  Jones would have to get through most of the next season playing LT before he'd even be even lol.  

As a former RB, I know from experience how much more I liked running right over left.  As most of us are right handed, and you're supposed to hold the ball with your outside arm, I HATED running left.  Until I tore ligaments in my right wrist in my 30s, I did everything right handed.  Now, as a result of that injury, I'm a bit more ambidextrous, but back then, I didn't use my left hand unless I had to.  

Speaking of being left handed, it should be noted that Fautanu was NOT a blind side protector in Washington, because his QB was a lefty.  It's neither here nor there, just saying.

My thoughts on Fautanu, that I'm surprised no one brought up.  What's up with his injury history?  I never bothered looking into him much either, as many of you have mentioned, because I thought he'd be long gone based on what I heard.  However, since drafting him, I have read multiple times that he has some serious knee concerns.  

Also, I really don't care for his height, at all.  I have never liked short players, regardless of position.  I've always gravitated towards those 6'6" and taller OTs.  6'5" guards.  6'4" centers.  Etc.  6'5"-6'6" DEs.  6'4"-6'5" OLBs.  6'4" ILBs.  6'+ corners.  6'2"+ safeties.  Etc.  So I didn't care for the Bush draft immediately.  Not only did they pick a runt, but they traded up to #10 or w/e to get him?  Gtfo.  However, upon further reflection upon this pick, I recalled Kelvin Beachum.  I REALLY liked him before he got hurt.  He sure didn't look the part, but the dude was just good.  So I looked him up on his draft profile.  He was pathetic.  49.20 prospect grade lmao.  I don't think I've ever seen one so bad!  He's an inch shorter, 14 lbs lighter, 1.25" shorter arms, smaller hands, etc.  His athletic measurables were just as pathetic as his physical measurables.  So I decided to compare Fautanu to Jones.  Fautanu's arms are only 1/4" shorter.  He actually weighed 6 lbs more.  His 10 split was better, and his 40 was not far behind.  Better broad.  Better vert.  Fautanu's draft grade was also better.  6.47 vs 6.44.  

So, assuming his medical won't be an issue, this looks great.  Worst case scenario, we have an elite interior OL if by chance they go back to the OL-well next year and get a prototypical OT.  

Dulac is saying Fautanu will play right tackle. Now I'm convinced he will be the left tackle...lol. But, seriously, they need to trade Moore now if Jones is going to be the left tackle. I think it's much smarter to have Fautanu and Moore compete on the left side. But, if Moore isn't going to compete for left tackle, and you are not going to entertain moving him to guard, move on so he can move on.

• Like 1

Troy better start , but already they are saying Moore will start.  

On 5/1/2024 at 1:53 PM, rlon said:

Dulac is saying Fautanu will play right tackle. Now I'm convinced he will be the left tackle...lol. But, seriously, they need to trade Moore now if Jones is going to be the left tackle. I think it's much smarter to have Fautanu and Moore compete on the left side. But, if Moore isn't going to compete for left tackle, and you are not going to entertain moving him to guard, move on so he can move on.

why not share snaps at LT/RT for both Jones and Fautanu and see how they are  vs each opponent. Then adjust accordingly. Yes, the team has what appears to be 2 OT that can play either side  so what a difficult decision that teams rarely have, but a good one to have.   Just share and everyone is happy.

3 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Troy better start , but already they are saying Moore will start.  

why not share snaps at LT/RT for both Jones and Fautanu and see how they are  vs each opponent. Then adjust accordingly. Yes, the team has what appears to be 2 OT that can play either side  so what a difficult decision that teams rarely have, but a good one to have.   Just share and everyone is happy.

The right side of the line has been set/stable. Moore is your incumbent LT, and Troy has a better skillset for left tackle than Jones. I don't think this decision is all that hard. This is a business. None is promised everything they want. 

Posted (edited)

I personally don't care who plays LT and who plays RT, between Jones and Fautanu, and I suspect Pat Meyer/Tomlin have an inkling as to who would be better at each.  Ultimately, they need to decide which one is the weakest at either spot, and play the 'positionally stronger' Tackle there, and let the other play the opposite.

To illustrate, let's say these arbitrary numbers I'm using are overall grades at each position, but let's say Jones is a 60 at RT, and 85, at LT, and Fautanu is 75 at RT, and 90 at LT.  Well, Fautanu needs to play RT, even if he's the better LT, because it's better to have two above-averaged graded OTs, then have a near-elite LT, with just an average RT, since teams will learn quickly to exploit the weak link, no??

Which is also why I doubt they start Moore at LT this season, since he's likely no better than 50 at either position, lol...

Seriously...thoughts, though?  Does that make sense?  Or is there a more important 'metric' or way of looking at it?  And anyway, I think those who are saying we'll start the season with Moore at LT, and Jones at RT, can't possibly know this for a fact.  There is no way we start the lesser talented OT, just because he's not a rookie.  If Fautanu is ready, they will start him.  Plus, Fautanu is not coming in as a young guy with limited experience like Jones did.  Fautanu has, what, 4 years starting experience?? Or is it 3...either way, Fautanu is still older/more experience as a rookie, than Jones is going into his 2nd year.

Edited by Ward4HOF

On 4/27/2024 at 1:34 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Especially now. This isn't the days of Lawrence Taylor being the only outside passrusher in the league. Dudes are rushing from everywhere now. Shoot, we've got TJ who only rushes against RTs. If you don't have a pair of OTs that can pass block you're in for a world of hurt.

exactly. 

but, do you trust this coaching staff to NOT play OL out of position?

why not let Jones and Troy switch sides every other quarter and learn from that. If they can play both well, then all the better.   Nothing wrong with being a team that has 2 good OT's that can play both sides.  Almost unheard of , but nothing wrong with that. A good problem to have I would say. 

So random funny things about landing Fautanu:

The FO thought he was going top 10, 8 at the highest and 10 at the lowest, maybe 13.  So they were fully prepared to trade up for him.  Meanwhile our smoke screen worked because the Bengals thought we had Mims rated higher than Fautanu due to all the visits.

Additionally - The Bengals apparently went after Trent Brown and Amarius Mims because they saw the success Dawand Jones had on Watt and prioritized size at RT. Which is just hilarious to me because it wasn't like he completely stopped him.

So the Bengals, once again, potentially made a pick because they were trying to outthink us.