Pick 51 - Steelers Select Zach Fraizer.

On this one, I'm not real enamored.  I am a bit excited though.  He just doesn't pass the eyeball test for me.  I like those really athletic Cs that can pull and the "dancing bear" type as Mayock always said.  That's why I wanted Graham Barton so much.  I got spoiled growing up with Dermontti Dawson, then had a scrub or two along with Jeff Hartings, and then finally Pouncey.  Frazier doesn't seem like he'd be anywhere near that caliber.  However, those few scrubs we've had, including those recently, did make me appreciate the Jeff Hartings-type player a little more.  Hopefully he's better than Jeff Hartings, but even if that's his ceiling, that's a huge upgrade.  (Note:  upon looking up Jeff Hartings, there's a reason why I always think he was good when I remember him:  2 time all pro and 2 time pro bowler in only 6 years - pro bowl and all pro came in 1 year once....so that means 3 of 6 seasons he was really good).  If we can get that out of Frazier, with 33% of his seasons being an all-pro and 33% a pro-bowler, I'll take it!   

18 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am guessing Frazier was drafted more for handling rushers up the middle vs wide-zone running plays.

Absolutely, he showed that ability going up against Murphy and Sweat from Texas. Pouncey could not have handled them 1:1 (imo). So pick our poison. Dancing bear or brick wall.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I am guessing Frazier was drafted more for handling rushers up the middle vs wide-zone running plays.

I think it’s clear they changed their strategy away from pulling linemen and more to smashmouth. I do think he seems stout enough to manhandle guys and get the job done.

8 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I think it’s clear they changed their strategy away from pulling linemen and more to smashmouth. I do think he seems stout enough to manhandle guys and get the job done.

MCCormick is considered the best pulling guard in the class so...

Edited by jebrick

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

MCCormick is considered the best pulling guard in the class so...

Yeah after I posted that I got to thinking about how athletic both OTs are. McCormick is pretty solid athletically too. So, perhaps, they just went with the best C, even if he isn’t the athlete we’re used to at the position when they’re actually elite athletes.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Frazier's RAS had him in the "good" category for Explosion/Agility/Speed. 

He looks pretty average to me.  But again, my standard is pretty high.  I'm definitely on board with him and hope he is the next great C here!  

2 hours ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

He looks pretty average to me.  But again, my standard is pretty high.  I'm definitely on board with him and hope he is the next great C here!  

I want a center that doesn’t get overwhelmed at the point of attack. I think Pouncey was a finesse okayed and overrated, and I know I’ll get killed for that. Frazier is a smooth mover, mobile enough but with a good anchor and a nasty disposition. My comp is Mike Webster ;)

1 hour ago, rlon said:

I want a center that doesn’t get overwhelmed at the point of attack. I think Pouncey was a finesse okayed and overrated, and I know I’ll get killed for that. Frazier is a smooth mover, mobile enough but with a good anchor and a nasty disposition. My comp is Mike Webster ;)

He’s definitely more in the mold of Webby as opposed to Dirt Dawson or Pouncey. I’d agree that Pounce was a touch overrated, but I think Dirt may have been the best C of all time. Those guys were different kind of athletes. Dawson also had the strength at the POA. He was like a cross between Pounce and Webster. I think Frazier will be a good C, but not on the level of all time greats. I’d be happy with a Hartings level guy.

Webster was long before my time, so no comment.  Dirty D is my favorite of all time, meaning I think he was the best I've seen.  Pouncey was definitely over-rated, but still quite good.  When I said Frazier looks average to me, I meant he's athletically average by a quality starting C in the NFL standard.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Absolutely, he showed that ability going up against Murphy and Sweat from Texas. Pouncey could not have handled them 1:1 (imo). So pick our poison. Dancing bear or brick wall.

th?id=OIP.XBbZZB0HuiJJ7sFdKSq6nAHaE8%26p

why not both

• Like 1