R-3: Pick 87

textaz03

8 minutes ago, Northland said:

I was hoping for Wright as well.  How about Davis from South Dakota State tomorrow?

I’m game. Think we see a sizable run on RBs in rd 4, so will be interesting to see if Dallas stands pat and rides it out with current roster and Zeke. 🤢

Edited by WizardHawk

Ok so part of me wants so hard to cheer this pick, as Notre Dame is both where I graduated from, played for, and got my first opportunity as a coach and helping the recruiting process. My heart will always be in the bend.

But to be honest, much like their second round pick, much of his better traits translate to kicking teams. He is physical, tackles well in space and knows how to avoid blockers in space. But when a hat is on him he struggles to get himself free and has shown a knack for getting himself lost in traffic. He often misses the gap and so when he makes the tackle on ball carrier, it's for a decent gain already. Not exactly the head hunter, ball seeking missile the team needed.

But if you take what he does well and put it, say. On a punt team. He should be the first one down field. On a kick block attempt, his ability to avoid blockers could see him making some disturbances off the end of the formation. 

Another top 100 pick spend on a bit player that can contribute early on special teams, maybe play a small role on a base defense, perhaps develop into a bigger role player. But still just a role player.

Two top 100 picks spend on guys who fit special teams and have enough upside to maybe, potentially, challenge for a role on the main unit. Something you usually select late in the draft. Not top 100...

Now the edge players athleticism does.give him a good chance at being a very disruptive player. But even as a huge ND guy I don't see that kind of upside here....

6 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Ok so part of me wants so hard to cheer this pick, as Notre Dame is both where I graduated from, played for, and got my first opportunity as a coach and helping the recruiting process. My heart will always be in the bend.

But to be honest, much like their second round pick, much of his better traits translate to kicking teams. He is physical, tackles well in space and knows how to avoid blockers in space. But when a hat is on him he struggles to get himself free and has shown a knack for getting himself lost in traffic. He often misses the gap and so when he makes the tackle on ball carrier, it's for a decent gain already. Not exactly the head hunter, ball seeking missile the team needed.

But if you take what he does well and put it, say. On a punt team. He should be the first one down field. On a kick block attempt, his ability to avoid blockers could see him making some disturbances off the end of the formation. 

Another top 100 pick spend on a bit player that can contribute early on special teams, maybe play a small role on a base defense, perhaps develop into a bigger role player. But still just a role player.

Two top 100 picks spend on guys who fit special teams and have enough upside to maybe, potentially, challenge for a role on the main unit. Something you usually select late in the draft. Not top 100...

Now the edge players athleticism does.give him a good chance at being a very disruptive player. But even as a huge ND guy I don't see that kind of upside here....

Perhaps they're expecting a lot of punts this year?