2024 Day 3 NFL Draft Thread

CWood21

3 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I hated 2019 in the moment, but that’s a me thing. I was anti-Gary (and apparently wrong about that) and I wasn’t a Savage fan at all either. 2 picks in the first round and not one I wanted just burned me. 

The beauty of the draft, Gary was in my top 15 that year and Savage was my S#1 and was something like my 24th player. What makes it fun, everyone watches the same thing and comes away with a multitude of opinions. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

2020 and 2021 were clearly Gute's worst drafts. Outside of Love a lot of meh. I'm just going to say that only a worldwide pandemic can slow down the GBP draft process.

I wonder how much of that was due to trying to blend 'win now' with best overall pick. 

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Not the same quality of day 3 picks this year as 2022 and 2023, left those drafts feeling we had players in Zach Tom, Romeo Doubs, Kingsley Enagbare, Rasheed Walker, Dontayvion Wicks, Karl Brooks, Carrington Valentine, AJJ. Don't feel that strongly about a single pick after Lloyd this year, kind of a dud outside of our first 4 picks for me. King will be interesting to see if we can get to 2022 levels, Pratt will be a solid backup, Glover is entirely a redshirt/PS guy, Monk is OL7/8 ceiling, Williams and Hooper are ST leaders who will need injuries to ever play defense. Oladapo is really the only guy I think could play defensive snaps for us. 

I got a similar vibe. It was almost like watching two drafts. Not trying to rag on the guy before he plays but I lost a lot of wind in my sail when they took Hopper at 91. The first 4 picks had me going and then I just didn't understand that pick...at all (frankly from more of a positional value sense even more than the player). 

Day 3 I have a bit more optimistic view. I actually really like Williams because I think the instincts are there (I truly get a Micah Hyde vide from him, not so much in terms of play style but just a heady player who is going to play faster than a workout warrior). Frankly if you switched Oladapo and Williams, I love both picks even more. I think both will contribute to the defense. 

Monk isn't sexy but I love the play experience he has. I think he could play Week 1 on the inside if you had to go there and he'd hold up. May not be a long term preferred starter, but overall a solid upgrade to the interior depth. 

I actually love the King pick. The talent is there so at least you know the guy "can" play at the highest level. Change of scenery and coaching could unlock him. I would have been fine taking King a lot earlier and just betting on the coaching.

Glover was a pretty "meh" pick simply because I don't see any value in 2024. He's a Yosh Nijman UDFA project who we drafted. We had 30 picks so that's fine. I actually like Donovan Jennings more but at least we scooped him up afterwards. 

I'm with you, loved the first 4 picks. I still pretty much hate the Hopper pick and think the rest of the draft after that was okay but nothing special (on paper). 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

Interesting note regarding the theme of our defensive picks: we know (expect) Halfey to be a much more aggressive blitzer with his LBs and DBs than Barry. Well, the five guys we drafted all have good production there:

Cooper - 8 sacks in 2023

Hopper - 3 sacks (8.5 career)

Bullard - 0 in 2023 but 3.5 sacks in 2022 as a slot CB

Williams - 4.5 sacks in 2023

Oladapo - 1 sack in 2023 (6.5 career)

Some of these guys have better sack numbers than some of the DL drafted this weekend.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

So I'm thinking IDL and EDGE are the main needs for 2025. CB if Valentine regresses and Stokes stays hurt would suddenly become a glaring hole too. 

A concern for this year - is the above (regards Valentine/Stokes) plus which Jaire we're gonna get.
If you hold to the rotational theory, this year should be a healthy one for him......

2020 - 15 games played
2021 - 4
2022 - 16
2023 - 7
2024 - 15/16?

🤞