Detroit selects at #126: Giovanni Manu, OT British Columbia

General Tso

55 minutes ago, General Tso said:

We are basically paying a future 3rd to get him a year early and train him up.

I get that, it’s just a huge risk. As Holmes said the film is absolutely horrible competition but they like the technique, the attitude, and then loved him when he went out of his way to make it into Detroit for a visit.  Sounds like they did plenty of homework but still seems risky.

11 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I hope BH hits on this pick because giving up that third round pick seems steep.

I watched the press conference and he started off discussing this pick. 

Manu came onto the radar with the area scout and his workout. John Dorsey and Ray Agnew really brought it forward. So they were lining him up for a Top 30 visit and they were team #9 on the schedule. 

On Saturday, he woke up thinking about two guys (Many and Vaki). Came into the facility, he mentioned it to Dan and [MCDC] replied "I was thinking of those same 2 guys". So they decided to not hold and wanted to make the moves to ensure they got their guys. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I watched the press conference and he started off discussing this pick. 

Manu came onto the radar with the area scout and his workout. John Dorsey and Ray Agnew really brought it forward. So they were lining him up for a Top 30 visit and they were team #9 on the schedule. 

On Saturday, he woke up thinking about two guys (Many and Vaki). Came into the facility, he mentioned it to Dan and [MCDC] replied "I was thinking of those same 2 guys". So they decided to not hold and wanted to make the moves to ensure they got their guys. 

This could be one of those things where the media pundits downgrade the move because they don't know as much about the prospect as the NFL scouts.  The fact that he had that many team visits lined up after his pro day kind of shows that other teams had legitimate interest.  Mel Kiper was into him though.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 1

If you go on Manu’s twitter, there was a post about all the teams he visited with. Lions were not the only team interested in him. The media and fans just don’t know everything despite what they think. 

35 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

If you go on Manu’s twitter, there was a post about all the teams he visited with. Lions were not the only team interested in him. The media and fans just don’t know everything despite what they think. 

Brad said something about how after the fact you learn the answers to the test. Similar to what happened last year with Gibbs and Campbell, he likely received texts from other GM's indicating that he wasn't going to last much longer past where [Detroit] took him. Whether that's just an anecdote that Holmes has made up, real texts from other GM's continuing with smokescreens or legit 'nice pick' feedback, we'll never know. 

What was interesting about the Day 3 Press Conference was how they got to the point where they decided to bring him in for a visit.  It all started with the work and the recommendation from the area scout.  We had a huge discussion about how scouting works prior to the draft.  In-person scouting in action.

this guy is going to be fascinating, along with Brodric Martin

I feel good about these picks, thinking of what we saw last year out of Barnes and Iffy. A DE drafted to play off-ball and a tall CB moved to safety, and at the end of year 2 you'd say they were both busts so far, then in Year 3 they both become legit NFL starters.

both Martin and Manu, and Sorsdal too btw, are even deeper cuts by Holmes, identifying way-off-the-beaten-path guys with good measurables and good attitudes. If, between Holmes and our coaching staff developing them, these guys work out, on top of the Lions hitting on almost every non-risky pick, that's #1 in the NFL level drafting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

this guy is going to be fascinating, along with Brodric Martin

I feel good about these picks, thinking of what we saw last year out of Barnes and Iffy. A DE drafted to play off-ball and a tall CB moved to safety, and at the end of year 2 you'd say they were both busts so far, then in Year 3 they both become legit NFL starters.

both Martin and Manu, and Sorsdal too btw, are even deeper cuts by Holmes, identifying way-off-the-beaten-path guys with good measurables and good attitudes. If, between Holmes and our coaching staff developing them, these guys work out, on top of the Lions hitting on almost every non-risky pick, that's #1 in the NFL level drafting.

Giovanni Manu-6'7", 34.5' arms with a 33-inch-vertical.  Broderic Martin--6'4.5", 34.5" arm-length.  Put them in the middle of the FG defense unit and let kickers deal with that.  Lol

7 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Giovanni Manu-6'7", 34.5' arms with a 33-inch-vertical.  Broderic Martin--6'4.5", 34.5" arm-length.  Put them in the middle of the FG defense unit and let kickers deal with that.  Lol

So they spent a couple future picks to block FGs? 

I think they got good value in Mingo and Mahogany that nulled these horrid values but the ideas on here provide me some humor I guess 

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

So they spent a couple future picks to block FGs? 

I think they got good value in Mingo and Mahogany that nulled these horrid values but the ideas on here provide me some humor I guess 

It is just another way to contribute as they grow into their respective roles on offense and defense.  When was the last time the Lions blocked a FG?  You may or may not have noticed but the Lions place high value on special teams.

Edited by Just Want A Title

11 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Just saw something on BR saying Manu has commented that the Lions view him as a RG.

Mahogany was a LG at Boston College.

I don't know if it would be better for him to start inside at RG or not.  It might be a stepping-stone to OT.  I don't think they will know much about positions until well into training camp.  Still Giovanni Manu at RG with Penei Sewell would be one massive and nasty right side.