2024 Draft: #135, WR Jacob Cowing, Arizona

Forge

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Incredible separation ability, like him as a player, but I am floored they went this direction over Washington 

I guess they want more team speed, too. But Cowing didn't seem to play that fast to me. And both he and Pearsall max at average YAC. You begin to run into the opposite problem we had where teams put a blanket over the top and dare you to break tackles.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Forge said:

Incredible separation ability, like him as a player, but I am floored they went this direction over Washington 

I will NEVER forget...

The fact that Washington is still on the board at this point is utterly ridiculous.

Edited by 757-NINER

52 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I guess they want more team speed, too. But Cowing didn't seem to play that fast to me. And both he and Pearsall max at average YAC. You begin to run into the opposite problem we had where teams put a blanket over the top and dare you to break tackles.

There’s always next year to take 3 different receivers 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John232 said:

There’s always next year to take 3 different receivers 

If I had to guess, I think the team is replacing Juice with 3 WR sets.  We are adding speed to the X position, and kicking deebo to Z.  I feel like with the way we run things, we would use Deebo's threat as a runner in the slot, then have Aiyuk on one side, and a speed/route mis match on the other.  Then we run switches and motions with Deebo, trying to isolate matchups using the various WR skill sets.  

I think our offense has gone from Base 12/21 offense to a base 11 offense.  

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

If I had to guess, I think the team is replacing Juice with 3 WR sets.  We are adding speed to the X position, and kicking deebo to Z.  I feel like with the way we run things, we would use Deebo's threat as a runner in the slot, then have Aiyuk on one side, and a speed/route mis match on the other.  Then we run switches and motions with Deebo, trying to isolate matchups using the various WR skill sets.  

I think our offense has gone from Base 12/21 offense to a base 11 offense.  

Agreed. 

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I will NEVER forget...

The fact that Washington is still on the board at this point is utterly ridiculous.

I was thinking about this today and I think it marks a bit of a sea change in Kyle's philosophy, especially with Brock at the helm.  He's previously gone after strong WRs who he can scheme open and get tons of YAC from short routes, which may or may not have been a byproduct of crappy QB play.  This kind of caught up to him in both SBs, and those YAC guys keep getting hurt (Deebo especially).  It seems like he's prioritizing routes, quickness, and separation now - I think this draft reflects that.  He now has a QB who can hit guys on time and accurately. 

Not saying Washington can't run routes or separate, but he's much more of a strong YAC monster while Cowing is  more of a bursty, sudden route runner.  I think it's Brock's world now. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, WhyAmIHere said:

I was thinking about this today and I think it marks a bit of a sea change in Kyle's philosophy, especially with Brock at the helm.  He's previously gone after strong WRs who he can scheme open and get tons of YAC from short routes, which may or may not have been a byproduct of crappy QB play.  This kind of caught up to him in both SBs, and those YAC guys keep getting hurt (Deebo especially).  It seems like he's prioritizing routes, quickness, and separation now - I think this draft reflects that.  He now has a QB who can hit guys on time and accurately. 

Not saying Washington can't run routes or separate, but he's much more of a strong YAC monster while Cowing is  more of a bursty, sudden route runner.  I think it's Brock's world now. 

I don't disgaree.

But I feel like Washington is just miles ahead of a guy like Cowing, who will struggle mightily getting off press-coverage.

I think it was more so for his return potential, more than anything else tbh.

But we've seen this before (Danny Gray).

Need to have more than one tool in your bag.

Give me the all-around WR over the guy who's just a long speed/shifty slot type. 

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't disgaree.

But I feel like Washington is just miles ahead of a guy like Cowing, who will struggle mightily getting off press-coverage.

I think it was more so for his return potential, more than anything else tbh.

But we've seen this before (Danny Gray).

Need to have more than one tool in your bag.

Give me the all-around WR over the guy who's just a long speed/shifty slot type. 

Don't get me wrong I love Washington a lot more than Cowing. But in the back of my mind I keep asking myself why he fell so freaking far.... Gotta be something we don't know. Bunch of crappy WRs taken before him as well. 

6 minutes ago, WhyAmIHere said:

Don't get me wrong I love Washington a lot more than Cowing. But in the back of my mind I keep asking myself why he fell so freaking far.... Gotta be something we don't know. Bunch of crappy WRs taken before him as well. 

Ainias Smith, for one, is just strictly worse than Washington in every way. You could make the argument on Cowing - straight line speed and routes over physicality, contested catches, and YAC - but not for Smith.

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

Every year there's a player, often a WR, who is projected in one spot, seemingly has all the tools, and then falls dramatically in the draft. The one piece we never get as we evaluate guys for the draft is the mental piece, and we can often lack the medical info piece the teams have as well. Not saying it couldn't have just been collective bad evaluation - that happens, too. But offering a possible explanation for why it happens.

Cowing is the first pick I shrug at. I can see the appeal for Shanahan, but don't see anything special. I think this is possibly a pick more for 2025 in preparation of losing Jennings and possibly cutting Deebo. It would still leave Brock with 3 WRs next year he's familiar with if Cowing develops. So I don't mind double dipping on WR. Even with Pearsall and Cowing, Chris Conley, Ronnie Bell, Danny Gray, and Trent Taylor are fighting for WR #6, so it's not like the cupboard is fully stocked even with the picks.

If Cowing can contribute right away on Special Teams, I could see the team keep only 5 WRs on the 53, and then stash Conley, Taylor, and Bell (or another surprise performance) on the practice squad and just elevate them as necessary throughout the year. That would be a nice roster luxury.

• Like 3