6.177 - Walter Rouse, OT, Oklahoma - #78

Mike Sholiton, Vikings Director of College Scouting: "I think Walter wanted to challenge himself, He graduated in four years, he had started every game for four years at Stanford, played through the COVID-19 pandemic, but felt like he had some unfinished business to do, wanted to improve his draft stock. So, he wanted to go kind to a football factory so, he chose Oklahoma over some bigger NIL offers."

"One of the things that kind of struck me to him, I was at the Alamo Bowl game when he chose to play in the game, even with 52 career starts, that was something that impressed me about him. It was a little bit of proving himself. He went on to play in the East-West Shrine game for another opportunity for exposure and really wanted to show the NFL what he could do."

Rouse: "Whenever I'm done with football, I still plan on pursuing other things. When I first got to Stanford, I wasn't planning on going to the NFL, just doing that to get an education and play football, but especially after my sophomore year, something changed in me where I truly fell in love with the game of football."

"After that moment, there's nothing I wanted to do but just play in the NFL. It can be a flaw sometimes, but I just, I'm a perfectionist; I want to be the best at everything, I want to do everything perfect, I want to do everything right. Leaving Stanford, going to the place like Oklahoma, I knew that's what I needed to do to get to where I am right now, being in front of you guys, having an opportunity to be drafted, to be a better player."

"It's been so many emotions going on today, and I know they're all looking down, proud of me, being able to one day play in the NFL and now I'm getting drafted by the Vikings. This truly just means the world, thank you to the Wilf family, Kwesi, Coach O'Connell. I really have no words to describe how I'm feeling right now because I'm so happy and I just can't wait to get to work. The next chapter of my life starts now."

https://www.vikings.com/news/walter-rouse-nfl-draft-tackle-oklahoma

• Like 4

On 4/27/2024 at 3:50 PM, vike daddy said:

Rouse is the grandson of former NBA player Vic Rouse, who is most famous for hitting the game-winning shot as time expired in the overtime period of the 1963 NCAA championship game.

wiki

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that he's related to the late Vikings OL Curtis Rouse, although that would have been a good story had he been.

Rouse explained a close father-son bond, sharing that his father introduced him to comic books and superheroes when Rouse struggled with reading at a young age.

"We started reading comic books together to really improve my reading, and it did. The first one was Spider-Man. And that was, you know, really the first time we truly bonded when I was younger," Rouse said. "And from then on, whether it came to basketball or something else, our relationship just grew more and more and more."

Rouse attended Sidwell Friends, a private school in Washington, D.C., from which he graduated with Sasha Obama. He was asked during a virtual media session what it was like to attend school with President Obama's daughter and be surrounded by Secret Service agents.

"It's an adjustment," Rouse said. "But you get used to it. Before long it's just like, OK they're just a part of your daily life. Sasha had about two Secret Servicemen follow her around where she went. You've got bomb-sniffing dogs every now and then coming out. It became normal for us," Rouse continued. "I mean, it did come with its perks. You know, we did go on a class trip to China or Beijing and some of us went, Sasha was one of them. We had a whole hotel for it to ourselves, ate by ourselves, we had early access to these things. They're very nice, you even got to know some of them as well, so after a while, it just became everyday life."

Rouse isn't just talented on the football field, the 6-foot-6 tackle also has shined academically, earning a degree in biomechanical engineering from Stanford and being named a First-Team Academic All-American.

Rouse also attended the Perelman School of Medicine Medical and Surgical program at University of Pennsylvania, as well as participated in the Physician Scientist Training program at SMU.

Rouse received the 2022 Tommy Vardell Award, which recognizes a Stanford junior or senior "who best epitomizes excellence in both academics and athletics."

https://www.vikings.com/news/walter-rouse-nfl-draft-5-things-to-know

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Rouse explained a close father-son bond, sharing that his father introduced him to comic books and superheroes when Rouse struggled with reading at a young age.

"We started reading comic books together to really improve my reading, and it did. The first one was Spider-Man. And that was, you know, really the first time we truly bonded when I was younger," Rouse said. "And from then on, whether it came to basketball or something else, our relationship just grew more and more and more."

Rouse attended Sidwell Friends, a private school in Washington, D.C., from which he graduated with Sasha Obama. He was asked during a virtual media session what it was like to attend school with President Obama's daughter and be surrounded by Secret Service agents.

"It's an adjustment," Rouse said. "But you get used to it. Before long it's just like, OK they're just a part of your daily life. Sasha had about two Secret Servicemen follow her around where she went. You've got bomb-sniffing dogs every now and then coming out. It became normal for us," Rouse continued. "I mean, it did come with its perks. You know, we did go on a class trip to China or Beijing and some of us went, Sasha was one of them. We had a whole hotel for it to ourselves, ate by ourselves, we had early access to these things. They're very nice, you even got to know some of them as well, so after a while, it just became everyday life."

Rouse isn't just talented on the football field, the 6-foot-6 tackle also has shined academically, earning a degree in biomechanical engineering from Stanford and being named a First-Team Academic All-American.

Rouse also attended the Perelman School of Medicine Medical and Surgical program at University of Pennsylvania, as well as participated in the Physician Scientist Training program at SMU.

Rouse received the 2022 Tommy Vardell Award, which recognizes a Stanford junior or senior "who best epitomizes excellence in both academics and athletics."

https://www.vikings.com/news/walter-rouse-nfl-draft-5-things-to-know

Wow. Sounds like quite the high-character young man. If he's half as good as football as he seems to be at everything else, we will have a steal. 

• Like 2

• VikeManDan changed the title to 6.177 - Walter Rouse, OT, Oklahoma - #78

While chatting with the Vikings.com’s Tatum Everett, Adofo-Mensah argues that the “sky is the limit” for Rouse, largely because he’s “extremely athletic in a short area, athletic and powerful in a short area.” And while the GM explains that it took some time for him to develop the nastiness that evaluators love in their lineman, Rouse has finally gotten there: “he’s a late-developing bully but he’s a bully nonetheless.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/final-detail-vikings-trade?