Post Draft Thoughts

dll2000

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

Odunze only returned 3 punts in college.  It's just that one went for a TD that causes some to believe he can do it in the NFL.  I'm 100% certain they won't risk having him return punts.  PR is one of the reasons they brought Pettis back.  IMHO Scott might be another prospect for it.

But I do agree the new KO rules should benefit Velus Jones and Khalil Herbert as well since team may need two deep returners now in order to cover the entire width of the field.  Herbert showed some talent as a KR prior to his getting the nod as lead RB last year.

33% touchdown rate dude, sign me up!

It's going to be hilarious if Velus suddenly takes off this year. DLL will (again) get to say I told you so.  

I'm in withdrawl as it's been a couple days since the draft.  Really need some action.  Would love a trade but honestly at this point I'd take skill position coach scandal or stadium render.  Used to be on team Poles but now I'm not so sure. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It's going to be hilarious if Velus suddenly takes off this year. DLL will (again) get to say I told you so.  

I'm in withdrawl as it's been a couple days since the draft.  Really need some action.  Would love a trade but honestly at this point I'd take skill position coach scandal or stadium render.  Used to be on team Poles but now I'm not so sure. 

As a returner.  With Odunze on board he is probably jet sweep guy, screen and go route for 3-5 reps a game on O.

My biggest post draft thoughts are as follows;

• I expect Caleb, Rome and Tory to be the only real reliable impact guys in 2024. And even of that, it seems like alot of peoples expectations for Odunze are already completely outsized.
  • Amegadjie is a pure project pick right now, He has exciting traits, but if he is getting any significant snaps this year, we are probably in trouble, its a massive leap from the Ivy league
  • Booker is also all traits. There is a reason(s) that he was available in the 5th with those. Guy barely played in actual season action. Id expect him to quickly replace Dom Robinson, but that says more about our Edge depth than anything else
  • There are obviously some Vets we should/need to sign, but Id also suspect we are going to be watching the waiver wire closely come Camp. And especially some of the guys who we may have had some interest in who got snatched up at the end of the 6th/7th round that we thought may make it to UFDAs, as they wont all make 53 man rosters
    • Beau Limmer
    • Javonte Jean-Baptiste
    • Brendan Rice
    • Jahime Bell
    • Myles Cole
    • Tahj Washington

12 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. We drafted a QB many comp to Mahomes and Rodgers, and a WR comped to Fitzgerald and Chase. We could’ve drafted FF Bears Forum guys from there and still be considered potential top 3. 

You mean, the Bears could have drafted me?  As long as it doesn't interfere with league night, I'm good. 

A couple drafts I liked:

Pittsburgh-3 O-linemen, including first 2 picks.  Wilson and Fields must be happy

New England-all offense except for one DB.  2 QBs, first time since Washington did it with RG3 and Cousins.  Get your franchise QB and give him some weapons and protection.

Couple drafts I didn't like too much:

Carolina-3 weapons for Bryce Young, 4 defenders, but no protection.  An o-linemen or two would have been good for Young

Atlanta-Penix was a WTF move, especially with all the defenders on board.  Their next 4 guys were front 7 guys, but they missed out on one of the top guys

6 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I see Rome getting the opportunities bc he is lowman in WR room for now and we want to get the ball into his hands amap ! 

I don’t think a rookie top 10 pick is ever low man in his position room. 

46 minutes ago, Bowler1215 said:

You mean, the Bears could have drafted me?  As long as it doesn't interfere with league night, I'm good. 

Right?? I’d be good to take the league minimum. Make me the FG holder. I’ll work on it harder than anyone! 

8 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I hear they’re releasing the renderings for a stadium in Dolton next week.  That should keep you busy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Right?? I’d be good to take the league minimum. Make me the FG holder. I’ll work on it harder than anyone! 

I was referring to my bowling league.  But I'll compete with you to be the field goal holder. 

16 hours ago, SLCbear said:

I don't follow, who is Rome ahead of ?

Outside of DJ and Allen, who is he not ahead of in the WR room? Outside of maybe the first week or two of mini camp, do you think Scott or Velus or Pettis are gonna be ahead of him for anything in the eyes of the coaches? Those guys are just guys. Rome is a top 10 pick this year, by this regime, with elite potential. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Outside of DJ and Allen, who is he not ahead of in the WR room? Outside of maybe the first week or two of mini camp, do you think Scott or Velus or Pettis are gonna be ahead of him for anything in the eyes of the coaches? Those guys are just guys. Rome is a top 10 pick this year, by this regime, with elite potential. 

Of course Rome is 3rd, that's what I meant by lowman. Lowman among  real WRs ha ha plus kmet and Everett, only so many balls to go around

Velus will get a boost to career w new KO rules, but Rome is probably going to take his jet sweep reps away from him

Scott better take a BIG step forward and learn how to caTch, track the ball or he'll be outta the league pretty soon..

We all like Dante but he's fringe with very limited PR skills

Edited by SLCbear
  • Like 1