53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

Think @Packerraymond was pretty darn close, although I think there's a better chance we carry 6 S's than 7 WR's.  I think the Packers are more than likely going to be waiver hunting.  I'd anticipate at least 1 or 2 claims.  A few more unsuccessful claims.

QB: Love / Pratt [2/2]
RB: Jacobs / Wilson [2/4]
WR: Waston / Doubs / Reed / Wicks / Melton / DuBose [6/10]
TE: Musgrave / Kraft / Sims [3/13]
OL: Walker / Jenkins / Myers / Rhyan / Tom / Morgan / Dillard / Monk / Telfort [9/22]

DL: Clark / Wyatt / Brooks / Wooden / Slaton [5/27]
EDGE: Smith / Gary / LVN / Enagbare / Cox / Mosby [6/33]
LB: Walker / Wilson / Cooper / McDuffie / Welch / Hopper [6/39]
CB: Alexander / Stokes / Nixon / Ballentine / Valentine [5/44]
S: McKinney / Bullard / Williams / AJJ / Oladpo / Anderson [6/50]

K: Carlson
P: Whalen
LS: Orzech [3/53]

• Like 2

My final 53 after Baltimore game:

OFFENCE [24]
[QB] Love | Pratt [2/2]
[RB] Jacobs | Wilson | Lloyd/Dillon [3/5]
[TE] Musgrave | Kraft | Sims [3/8]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton | DuBose | Heath [7/15]
[OL] Morgan | Jenkins | Myers | Rhyan | Tom | Walker | Glover | Monk | Dillard [9/24]

DEFENCE [26]
[SAF] McKinney | Bullard | E.Williams | Oladapo | Anderson [5/29]
[CB] Alexander | Stokes | Valentine | Nixon | Ballentine | King [6/35]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch [5/40]
[EDGE] Preston | Gary | Van Ness | Engabare | Wooden | Mosby [6/46]
[DL] Clark | Wyatt | Slaton | Brooks [4/50]

SPECIAL [3/53]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

IR [1]: Lloyd/Dillon
IR [2]: Rochell

The injuries muddles the picture a fair bit. Dillon (stinger), Lloyd (hamstring), Cooper (hip), Dillard (shoulder), Rochell (hip). If Rochell is fine he would be in instead of Ballentine.

If we cut Dillard to prevent fully guaranteeing his base salary then he would likely be "waived injured" which means we cannot re-sign him for a certain amount of time but he would be free to sign for other teams. His injury is inconvenient for us.

Lloyd injury is apparently minor so im leaning towards him making the roster instead of being put on IR. Dillon sounds more serious and could be one of the two to go on IR but his vested veteran status means his salary would be fully guaranteed and he wouldn't be back until week 5. Again...highly inconvenient for us.

I'm dumped Clifford because let's face it, I love all our WRs and want to keep them all. I've also dumped Tyler Davis but instead of keeping Wilson I have decided to keep Mosby. It gives us an extra EDGE rusher but potentially another linebacker as he has experience playing there. He's also decent on ST apparently. I think that flexibility will give him the edge over Cox.

Edit: I forgot to mention, with this roster our UDFA streak making the 53 is broken. 😭 I wanted to keep Jennings in but it's clear he's not quite ready and so he's going to need some time to get used to playing so i'm expecting/hoping he will go on the practice squad. Goforth is injured apparently so he will be waived injured which means we would have to wait a while before we can add him to the practice squad I believe.

Edited by Chili

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Chili said:

My final 53 after Baltimore game:

OFFENCE [24]
[QB] Love | Pratt [2/2]
[RB] Jacobs | Wilson | Lloyd/Dillon [3/5]
[TE] Musgrave | Kraft | Sims [3/8]
[WR] Watson | Doubs | Reed | Wicks | Melton | DuBose | Heath [7/15]
[OL] Morgan | Jenkins | Myers | Rhyan | Tom | Walker | Glover | Monk | Dillard [9/24]

DEFENCE [26]
[SAF] McKinney | Bullard | E.Williams | Oladapo | Anderson [5/29]
[CB] Alexander | Stokes | Valentine | Nixon | Ballentine | King [6/35]
[LB] Walker | Cooper | McDuffie | Hopper | Welch [5/40]
[EDGE] Preston | Gary | Van Ness | Engabare | Wooden | Mosby [6/46]
[DL] Clark | Wyatt | Slaton | Brooks [4/50]

SPECIAL [3/53]
[LS] Orzech
[K] Carlson
[P] Whelan

IR [1]: Lloyd/Dillon
IR [2]: Rochell

The injuries muddles the picture a fair bit. Dillon (stinger), Lloyd (hamstring), Cooper (hip), Dillard (shoulder), Rochell (hip). If Rochell is fine he would be in instead of Ballentine.

If we cut Dillard to prevent fully guaranteeing his base salary then he would likely be "waived injured" which means we cannot re-sign him for a certain amount of time but he would be free to sign for other teams. His injury is inconvenient for us.

Lloyd injury is apparently minor so im leaning towards him making the roster instead of being put on IR. Dillon sounds more serious and could be one of the two to go on IR but his vested veteran status means his salary would be fully guaranteed and he wouldn't be back until week 5. Again...highly inconvenient for us.

I'm dumped Clifford because let's face it, I love all our WRs and want to keep them all. I've also dumped Tyler Davis but instead of keeping Wilson I have decided to keep Mosby. It gives us an extra EDGE rusher but potentially another linebacker as he has experience playing there. He's also decent on ST apparently. I think that flexibility will give him the edge over Cox.

Looks good but if Wooden can't make the team on the interior he has no business occupying a spot as an DE. He's going to have to make his living inside IMO. 

I think it is just semantics though, because he's making the team. 

Edited by Old Guy

58 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Looks good but if Wooden can't make the team on the interior he has no business occupying a spot as an DE. He's going to have to make his living inside IMO. 

I think it is just semantics though, because he's making the team. 

He's a big wild card.  I thought for the longest time he was a high likeihood cut candidate but the team has been using him with the ones and twos which suggests he has a good shot of making the roster. He was drafted with the 3-4 in mind and now we switched to the 4-3, it's become an awkward fit for him. However he would make a decent rotational swing DE/DT and gives us flexibility in nickle and dime with 3-4 elements and providing some interior pass rush perhaps.

I think the two biggest trade baits would be Wooden and one of our WRs, probably Melton/Heath. We can collect a draft pick or two and allow us to keep other guys like Ford and Mosby/Cox on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

He's a big wild card.  I thought for the longest time he was a high likeihood cut candidate but the team has been using him with the ones and twos which suggests he has a good shot of making the roster. He was drafted with the 3-4 in mind and now we switched to the 4-3, it's become an awkward fit for him. However he would make a decent rotational swing DE/DT and gives us flexibility in nickle and dime with 3-4 elements and providing some interior pass rush perhaps.

I think the two biggest trade baits would be Wooden and one of our WRs, probably Melton/Heath. We can collect a draft pick or two and allow us to keep other guys like Ford and Mosby/Cox on the roster.

Yeah, just not sure we are giving up on Wooden just yet. I'd be willing to make a player for player trade with one of our WRs for an offensive lineman, but doubt that can happen. Most teams are probably in the same boat we are with not enough guys who belong. 

I'm not worried about losing Ford and whoever we keep between Mosby/Cox makes us good at DE. I've got 5 DE and 5 DT on my final 53. Wooden is #5 inside and Cox is #5 at DE. 

I feel great about the roster but would like another offensive lineman and a real backup quarterback. 

I know it's not his decision but LaFleur's comment that "we'll see what happens around the league" when asked about QB 2 and K is as telling as it gets. He thinks those guys aren't currently on the roster. 

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I know it's not his decision but LaFleur's comment that "we'll see what happens around the league" when asked about QB 2 and K is as telling as it gets. He thinks those guys aren't currently on the roster. 

I think the upgrade at QB2 is going to be easier than finding a decent kicker. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think the upgrade at QB2 is going to be easier than finding a decent kicker. 

Are players like Heinicke, Huntley, DTR, Zappe, Beathard, Keenum/Mills that much of an upgrade over Pratt/ Clifford

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Are players like Heinicke, Huntley, DTR, Zappe, Beathard, Keenum/Mills that much of an upgrade over Pratt/ Clifford

Probably not.  At the end of the day, if Love goes down the Packers are screwed.  There's no backup QB out there that's going to be available that's keeping this team afloat.

• Like 2

If Love goes down for the year the season is over. But if he's going to return after being out several weeks, the question is whether a vet QB would give them a better chance to win a few games while he's out to stay in playoff contention. 

22 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Probably not.  At the end of the day, if Love goes down the Packers are screwed.  There's no backup QB out there that's going to be available that's keeping this team afloat.

I think this is very short sided. You think if Love went down for a game or two there'd be no difference between a guy like Heinecke (who beat us before with a crappy Wash team) and Clifford/Pratt? There's no reasonable debate there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

If Love goes down for the year the season is over. But if he's going to return after being out several weeks, the question is whether a vet QB would give them a better chance to win a few games while he's out to stay in playoff contention. 

It's not a question at all. It's common sense.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Correct.  There aren't 32 quality starting QBs.  So any team with a decent #2 QB is holding  onto them. So you are looking at the 3rd QB for teams and it isn't that pretty across the league

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I think this is very short sided. You think if Love went down for a game or two there'd be no difference between a guy like Heinecke (who beat us before with a crappy Wash team) and Clifford/Pratt? There's no reasonable debate there. 

We haven't seen Pratt or Clifford with a full first team at OL and skill players either.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Correct.  There aren't 32 quality starting QBs.  So any team with a decent #2 QB is holding  onto them. So you are looking at the 3rd QB for teams and it isn't that pretty across the league

That actually isn't correct. The Falcons are a prime example. Heinecke would be their No. 2 but they drafted Penix. They likely won't keep him as a No. 3, we'll see.