53 Man Roster thread

Old Guy

Just now, minutemancl said:

Anthony Johnson preseason scouting report?

He actually got decent playing time last year in season.  

People loved him around here.  TBH, I can’t really figure out why.  He was really throwing his body around this preseason, seemed like he wanted to show his physicality after his only notable plays last year were whiffing on a couple of tackles. 

As for coverage, really hard to say.  Last year, Barry had him bailing out miles from the line of scrimmage at the snap.  Didn’t notice anything about it in preseason except I heard someone blame him for the long TD we gave up to the Ravens.  Hard to say if it was his fault though. 

Other practice reports about him this pre-season were overwhelmingly positive. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Some background info......

6 misses from 40-49

8 misses from 50+

That's 14 and he has 20 FG misses in his college career. which means he likely has 6 misses from 30-39.

At least in the pros he seem to have improved his accuracy. He's money on XP though.

Edited by Chili

Just now, mikebpackfan said:

Good lord, I hope this works out better than our Frost for Ryan punter swap of yore. 

This is going to come off as completely biased, but I will take any attempt at change over long-neck Carlson. I was done with that guy after he missed that 41-yarder in perfect conditions in SF in the playoffs. Glad we got him off the 53. 

Personally, I kind of wanted to roll with Joseph because I tend to favor veteran kickers even if they have had up and down careers to date. I thought Joseph was pretty solid absent the one bad miss in Denver. Narveson is a gamble, but at least Gutey is recognizing there is a problem and that we simply couldn't stick with Carlson, especially after another chip shot miss last week. 

I wonder if we will also pick up one of the irish kickers and put them on our international participant exemption? just for added insurance.

Edited by Chili

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This is going to come off as completely biased, but I will take any attempt at change over long-neck Carlson. I was done with that guy after he missed that 41-yarder in perfect conditions in SF in the playoffs. Glad we got him off the 53. 

Personally, I kind of wanted to roll with Joseph because I tend to favor veteran kickers even if they have had up and down careers to date. I thought Joseph was pretty solid absent the one bad miss in Denver. Narveson is a gamble, but at least Gutey is recognizing there is a problem and that we simply couldn't stick with Carlson, especially after another chip shot miss last week. 

Well, isnt Joseph still on the roster? I agree with you about Carlson. Was hoping he'd settle down and find some consistency - but he didnt. Will he? Perhaps...but someplace else at this point.

I'm not even going to begin to tell you that any sort of college scouting or projection matters with kickers. The best one in the NFL last year was a 28 year old rookie because he spent 3 years in professional soccer and 2 years in the UFL. Just hope Rich B can tweak some things here or there and turn him into a stud.

• Like 2

Just now, Leader said:

Well, isnt Joseph still on the roster? I agree with you about Carlson. Was hoping he'd settle down and find some consistency - but he didnt. Will he? Perhaps...but someplace else at this point.

Joseph is but that will likely be short lived. I can't imagine the Packers want to guarantee his salary. My guess is that they cut Joseph, let Narveson have first crack at the job and they'll probably keep Joseph's number if it doesn't go well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Joseph is but that will likely be short lived. I can't imagine the Packers want to guarantee his salary. My guess is that they cut Joseph, let Narveson have first crack at the job and they'll probably keep Joseph's number if it doesn't go well.

Expect the conversation wishing Joseph will has happened already. 

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Catching up here! I heard Pratt signed with Tampa Bay's practice squad? Can this be confirmed? 

I wonder if he chose them over us or if we rolled with Clifford and weren't bringing him back. 

It's accurate. Pratt is gone.