Feed Me, Part II

WizardHawk

Let me be clear - I like Dak. I think he's a very good QB. Unfortunately, he's more Tony Romo than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman - a great regular-season QB that struggles to consistently elevate his game during the most important time of the year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, textaz03 said:

19 I believe. 2005 us old timers started here I believe. 

@Dallas94Ware and I have known each other longer than that, old friend. He and I were admins on the Cowboys' original message board when that launched in 2001. I left when Eatman and Eagleton lied to me about what we'd receive as compensation for our time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

@Dallas94Ware and I have known each other longer than that, old friend. He and I were admins on the Cowboys' original message board when that launched in 2001. I left when Eatman and Eagleton lied to me about what we'd receive as compensation for our time.

Ahhhhh ok gotcha 

9 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Now look were those 2 are, Mothership staff reporters. 

I still try to get Mav to pop in here every now and then, but he tends to ignore me whenever I mention FBF. Bobby has done good for himself for sure starting out here. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:03 AM, textaz03 said:

19 I believe. 2005 us old timers started here I believe. 

Actually plan9 and I knew each other originally from the official Dallas cowboys dot com forum when I was employed as their admin and he was my very first co admin and mod. 

Long story short. The forum became such a cesspool that I ended up appointing an EAGLES FAN as a mod because sadly. They were one of our most level headed, rational and normal posters out of the hundreds of thousands irrational, crazy, bandwagoning cowboys fans that thought ,"The eagles suck because McNabbs mom is fat" was a rational and thought provoking post.

It got me fired.

Dirk Gently (if you remember him) and I tried to make our own forum and it never caught on. Plan9 recommended I and some others come here instead.

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Omg you know what I forgot about the compensation too. I still my little bull crap weekly stipend (I was doing it for more the love than the crappy little check they'd send me monthly) but when they promised us signed DeMarcus Ware jerseys. I was so excited. 

You know out of all of us originals there. The only person to get one was Wolfie? And it was only because when we all left (and I got fired/IP banned lol) he stayed.

And remember Bosoxen?? Dude do you realize Derek Eagleton called him and assured him he would not be banned.... But they changed his linked email address on him and his password. So he couldn't log in and couldn't reset his password.

So yeah they didn't ban him. They just made it impossible for him to ever log back in. All because he said he refused to be a grammar Nazi and correct a bunch of posts to make them look more credible when he complained to Derek his suggestion just to edit posts he deemed inflaming or negligible was preferable to removing them. Derek posted back that such "insensitive content" could be grounds for banning, even for a mod in a moderator only forum listing.

F Derek Eagleton.

Edit - I did kind of enjoy my weekly article they let me write though. Even when they would edit the crap out of it to "make it more positive and inspiring" ... S. M. H. 

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:25 AM, TheStarStillShines said:

Let me be clear - I like Dak. I think he's a very good QB. Unfortunately, he's more Tony Romo than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman - a great regular-season QB that struggles to consistently elevate his game during the most important time of the year. 

Honestly, I'd dare say the sacrilege that Romo and Dak were better performers at QB than Aikman.

Aikman benefitted from a generational receiver, a generational running back, and an otherworldly game planner at OC, as well as a defense that kept him in favorable game situations 

Aikman was fantastic. At what he did. Which was manage games, not turn the ball over, and throw it to Irvin. A lot...

Aikman only threw over 19 scores in a season once in his career and aversged under 3100 passing yards per season, while Irvin averaged over 1200 receiving yards and Emmett over 1300 rushing yards. Aikman managed the game. Managed the offense and took care of the ball. But he wasn't some all world generational qb. Even in an era where passing wasn't the primary mode of moving the ball, you still had guys in generations prior to his (such as our own Staubach) who did more with the ball in their hands than Aikman ever had to.

I will say, this team never had the kind of canon at QB that Aikman had, either before or after him but that in itself doesn't define a players ability. I will also say that this team has probably never had as cerebral of a player, at ANY position, before or after Aikman. But this again does not fully define a players ability.

Truly, Aikman is the polar opposite of how many think of Romo and Dak solely because he played on that dynasty team. But he is a clear cut indicator, just as Romo and Dak, how a QB gets far too much credit and glory, and far too much blame and shame, for every win or loss. With Dak and Romo, they are/were better than many credit them for being. While Aikman was perhaps not anywhere near as amazing as people credit him for being.

It's the same reason a career of mediocrity like Eli Manning's will result in a hall of Fame membership. Because when you win multiple rings and especially if you make a memorable play in crunch time, you will be remembered as something far more amazing than you ever truly were. While a guy like Romo, who's one memorable play in crunch time was a fumble on a FG hold in the playoffs, will forever be remembered as some choke artist who was never very good. Regardless of the career of 4th quarter comebacks (I believe only Big Ben had more in that same window of time) and being only the 3rd QB in league history to throw 30 or more TDs and under 10 picks in a season.

And man, as we all know, all of this "all the glory and all of the blame" stuff is multiplied and magnified to enormous proportions when the player being given that glory or blame is a Dallas Cowboy.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:25 AM, TheStarStillShines said:

To further what I was saying above, your last part of your statement is the prime example.

Do people often remember Romo leading the team down the field against the Giants in 2007 playoffs, with almost no time left, only for Crayton to drop what should have been the the deal sealer on a playoff comeback? Nope. Everyone definitely remembers the Dez Catch/No Catch situation, but completely ignore that it was Romo that on 4th and 4, who doesn't throw for the sticks but instead, makes the correct read and the perfect throw, having the balls to do it no less, all the way down the sideline for what damn sure should have been the game winning TD? No.

How about Dak, playing one hell of a 4th quarter against Green Bay, actually getting the job done so early in his career, only for an ultimate all time great to make a miracle throw to a no name right end down the field and across his body? No, no one remembers that part that Dak did his job successfully. Only that the team didn't win, so it must be the quarterbacks fault.

On the flip side. While Aikman did have a 4TD game earlier in the same playoffs, people often forget his two interception performance with a junk completion percentage where the team was absolutely bailed out by a gutsy performance by Emmitt, running for more yards after contact in a single playoff game than any player in history. No, people just know the team won and went on to win a ring - so their quarterback must have played great all year.

And to use an outside example - people forget that the first super bowl by the Patriots and Tom Brady, in one of the playoff games, I believe the AFC title game, Brady was both playing so poorly and holding the ball so long that in today's era he would have been taken out for concussion protocol ateast twice...at LEAST twice. And performing so poorly from the first snap onward, that it was actually Drew Bledsoe that had to come in and win the game for them. Nope, all they remember is a 2nd year 6th round quarterback who won a Superbowl as if it were all by himself. Also completely ignoring that in the SB itself he again didn't play too well, and they only scored 17 (or was it 20) points against a middle of the pack, relatively average defense and the win was only possible by holding the highest scoring offense in the history of football to only 14 or 17 points. Yet there are even quite rational Patriots fans who will look back on that memory and make it sound as if a 2nd year Tom Brady outdueled league MVP Kurt Warner - and that could not be further from the truth.

And that all of Tom's first 3 or 4 ring wins he had a defense with at minimum 5 to 6 surefire or potential hall of famers and 8 or 9 all pros, to name a few:  Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour, Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Roman Phifer...

Nope, all that will be remembered, is that QB.

I hope this all explains my utter sacrilege saying Aikman wasn't as good of a QB and Dak and Romo. I know I'll still get hate for it, because again, all that matters to most, is that QB position and whether or not they got that  ring - the context, the actual performance, and the memorable moments of heart break or sheer joy, are all that matters to them.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

8 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Omg you know what I forgot about the compensation too. I still my little bull crap weekly stipend (I was doing it for more the love than the crappy little check they'd send me monthly) but when they promised us signed DeMarcus Ware jerseys. I was so excited. 

You know out of all of us originals there. The only person to get one was Wolfie? And it was only because when we all left (and I got fired/IP banned lol) he stayed.

And remember Bosoxen?? Dude do you realize Derek Eagleton called him and assured him he would not be banned.... But they changed his linked email address on him and his password. So he couldn't log in and couldn't reset his password.

So yeah they didn't ban him. They just made it impossible for him to ever log back in. All because he said he refused to be a grammar Nazi and correct a bunch of posts to make them look more credible when he complained to Derek his suggestion just to edit posts he deemed inflaming or negligible was preferable to removing them. Derek posted back that such "insensitive content" could be grounds for banning, even for a mod in a moderator only forum listing.

F Derek Eagleton.

Edit - I did kind of enjoy my weekly article they let me write though. Even when they would edit the crap out of it to "make it more positive and inspiring" ... S. M. H. 

Wow that’s crazy! Shines a whole new light for me on those working at DC.com and yeah, I remember @Dirk Gently had no idea the 3 of you all worked together there. I don’t ever recall any of those stories in our early days here. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Wow that’s crazy! Shines a whole new light for me on those working at DC.com and yeah, I remember @Dirk Gently had no idea the 3 of you all worked together there. I don’t ever recall any of those stories in our early days here. 

Dirk actually rejected my offer to become a mod because he couldn't guarantee the time investment. But he was still part of our group of originals who got the thing running ...

And yeah the crap we went through at the end was incredible. The fact I thought an eagles fan was a better option for a mod over the cowboys fans on that site should show you just hoe lousy it became when you have a hundred thousand cowboy fans in one place lol

Payment or not ..and again I wasn't paid much at all ... But payment or not it got the point that I was spending more time at work trying to keep that forum clean of the nonsense than I was actually doing my job. I did it out of love for the team and the true honor it was to say I was a paid administrator for the official DC.com forums. But we cowboy fans can be....well, there's a reason most of the football world hates us lol 

And all the eagles fans would come to our forum to talk legit football because their own official site had become a cesspool too. So the rational fellas looking to really talk sports would join ours. And so many of our fanbase and community would treat them so bad and say the craziest things just because they were eagles fans and there was no true consequence besides me potentially banning them for a week or two ... But it really reached a point where the eagles fans on OUR forum were better members of the community than our own freaking fan base. 

And yet still Derek Eagleton wanted complete favoritism to the Cowboy fans in those situations afraid it would chase away fans of our team. That's where my disagreements with him started. To me, I was hired to run a good forum where all are welcome to come and talk football. Not baby childish cowboy fans who felt entitled to say the crap they would say because no one was there to knock them in the mouth for doing so. If I must say so myself, I and the mods and I recruited and Plan9 ran a great forum for a while. Until Eagleton insisted I show favoritism ... Which I refused to do. 

Edited by Dallas94Ware

23 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Actually plan9 and I knew each other originally from the official Dallas cowboys dot com forum when I was employed as their admin and he was my very first co admin and mod. 

Long story short. The forum became such a cesspool that I ended up appointing an EAGLES FAN as a mod because sadly. They were one of our most level headed, rational and normal posters out of the hundreds of thousands irrational, crazy, bandwagoning cowboys fans that thought ,"The eagles suck because McNabbs mom is fat" was a rational and thought provoking post.

It got me fired.

Dirk Gently (if you remember him) and I tried to make our own forum and it never caught on. Plan9 recommended I and some others come here instead.

I remember Dirk Gently. I think I was on that forum as a youngster back in 2005-2006. It was right under the official D.C. articles where you posted your thoughts.

Do you remember a poster named “Death By Jerry”? He was a wild one lol.

15 hours ago, textaz03 said:

The funniest part was that John and I wanted him to be a mod because he was one of the original guys with us who helped stand up the entire board, but Eagleton threw a temper tantrum when Dirk couldn’t do it because he didn’t have the time needed to be effective. It amazed me that the actual site helped the trolls turn it into a toxic ish-fest of a site. Between fans from other teams making up fake accounts to be trolls, guys like Eagleton wanting us to edit peoples’ posts (yes, I’m serious), and telling anyone who was writing legitimate articles on the team to be more “team friendly” and ignore facts.

1 hour ago, Tony7188 said:

I remember Dirk Gently. I think I was on that forum as a youngster back in 2005-2006. It was right under the official D.C. articles where you posted your thoughts.

Do you remember a poster named “Death By Jerry”? He was a wild one lol.

That was his “troll” account. The guy had a primary account where he posted normal stuff. I don’t remember his name, though. D94 and I were able to run reports of all members to match email addresses to usernames, and he had two, but I wouldn’t ban him because I found his satire posts hilarious.

• Like 1