2024 Vikings 53-Man "Final" Roster

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That is strange, why not just cut Jaren Hall originally?  Keeping him on the active roster made it seem like they really like him, now give him the boot for Brett Rypien who I like from Chicago and he does look solid when he is in there.  Just is a curious move, why not just cut Hall and sign Rypien from the get go, sucks mentally for Hall to make that switch but if he is on the practice squad that is better than nothing.

For a little context, day 3 quarterbacks basically get two training camps to show that they are at least backup quality. 

If you look at the 5 year span from 2019 through 2023, almost all quarterbacks selected on day 3 of the draft were cut by their drafting team after their 2nd preseason, unless they had earned the QB1 or QB2 job. 

Only two QBs made past their 2nd preseason as QB3. Tanner McKee, drafted by the Eagles in 2023, seems to have survived his 2nd preseason as QB3. Trace McSorley, drafted by Baltimore in 2019, also survived his 2nd preseason. However, his 2nd preseason was also the year with all of the COVID rules. Which might have saved him. He didn’t make it in his 3rd year. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

why not just cut Jaren Hall originally?

Because now teams have filled their practice squads. They’re moving onto week one preparation. So, while not impossible, it’s less likely that a team is going to claim him, or sign him to their practice squad. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is strange, why not just cut Jaren Hall originally? 

sucks mentally for Hall to make that switch

1) so other teams fill their rosters with other qb's and no longer have the vacancies, maybe?

2) you don't know that. he might have been fully informed as to the roster moves in advance.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sjfja_fkdldjs said:

Pretty sure both Kwesi and KOC has mentioned "hoping" he wants to stay here for the practice squad. I have my doubts this was some sneaky play that Hall was clued in on.

I’m not sure limiting his options is a sneaky ploy he would appreciate, but who knows?

• Like 1

Ultimately we don't know, but this administration, with verification from ex-players, has always been professional towards their players and told them when they knew.  It could certainly just be a case that they didn't have plans on doing it until they got in the same room and started talking about their options.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

So...is Rypien significantly better than Hall?  I've been under the impression that he has been underwhelming. 

I wouldn't say he's significantly better.  He's taken more NFL snaps, yes...but that's about it.  He has certainly been Mullens-esque in his ability to turn the ball over.  

Just now, swede700 said:

I wouldn't say he's significantly better.  He's taken more NFL snaps, yes...but that's about it.  He has certainly been Mullens-esque in his ability to turn the ball over.  

That's what I thought.  To me, the move is a head scratcher.

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

yes. 160+ passing attempts over four years.

plus the non passing plays.

Edited by vike daddy

From the press conferences of both KOC and Kwesi it seems the team wanted more experience at QB3.  Last season and “being 2 plays away” from the third QB were primary reason for adding Rypien.   The team wants to develop Hall more should he choose to return to the PS.  The team wasn’t comfortable with Hall possibly having to play any meaningful time this year. 
A couple additional reasons could be more competition at QB2, wanting more QB depth, and preparing for the future (2025) without Darnold and Mullins.