Najee NO 5th yr Option

On 5/10/2024 at 10:47 PM, skywlker32 said:

As I have said before, it's not so easy as to just add a few plays to your playback. You have to have all the setup plays too.

How about we just hope he runs well in the offense instead of developing around a player that may not be here in the near future.

You could see how well thy did when they would start running PA from their running sets.  Then the defenses backed off the LOS and better runs happened.  Just bad play calling and bad playbook

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

He is not a threat to take it to the house and is not a one cut RB.  He is a get moving north-south RB.  He is seen as a big back and teams realize they can get 4.5 RBs off the street.

Ultimately I agree with that but he’s also important to our offense because I don’t feel like Warren is a bell cow. It reminds me of Brandon Jacobs and Tiki Barber (even though Tiki was a bell cow). Najee being a big physical back, who may not pull away but makes you earn the tackle, is what makes Warren work so well because suddenly you have a different burst and wildly different type of target to hit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ultimately I agree with that but he’s also important to our offense because I don’t feel like Warren is a bell cow. It reminds me of Brandon Jacobs and Tiki Barber (even though Tiki was a bell cow). Najee being a big physical back, who may not pull away but makes you earn the tackle, is what makes Warren work so well because suddenly you have a different burst and wildly different type of target to hit. 

Warren is one of the hardest RBs in the NFL to tackle with or without Najee. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Warren is one of the hardest RBs in the NFL to tackle with or without Najee. 

When I did my stat finding hunt for Najee with some of his things being at the top of the league, it's funny how close behind or similar Warren was. 

Yards after contact average: Najee 2.4, Warren 2.4 (tied for 3rd in the league)

Broken Tackles: Najee 30 (2nd), Warren 27 (3rd)

And Warren did it on 206 less carries. 

Warren lead the NFL in Rushing attempts per broken tackle at 5.5. Najee was 4th at 8.5. James Connor second at 7.7, so the steelers scouting has had a type. 

Just another fun Najee fact since I went back to look at Warren: Talking yards AFTER contact again, 618 of his 1035 rushing yards came AFTER first contact (60%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Second in the NFL only to Jonathan Taylor. 

Edited by Dcash4
*changes Warrens number from touches to carries to reflect the rushing stats
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 7:42 AM, Dcash4 said:

I am not neglecting it, but as I mentioned above it's a long standing rule that the steelers do not negotiate with players once the season starts. That's something Khan confirmed he won't do either:

It's not that I don't understand it, it's just highly unlikely they break that rule for Najee. 

This isn't new as of the declining of the 5th year option. This has been talked about since March:

To be quite honest, I think this is incredibly disrespectful to Najee to allude to the idea that he coasted. You hear nothing about how hard of a worker he is and what kind of a leader he tries to be. 

This isn't just a comment about this, but starting to feel like people have already forgotten that Matt Canada was here and just how bad he (and the QB) was.

After the firing, Najee averaged 26 more yards per game on the ground. His post-Canada game's extended over an 17 game season would be 1302 yards (2nd in the NFL) and 12 TDs. 

That stretch even includes the 3 loses headlined by Mitch at QB. Cards game before Kenny's exit: 4.36 YPC for 48 yards. After: 2.5 YPC for 15 yards. In the 4 wins we had, Najee went for 411 yards, 5 TDs, and rushed for 4.73 YPC.

46th on the season in yards before contact, yet tied for 3rd in the league for yards after contact. Second in the league in broken tackles. Tied for 4th in the league in 20+ yard carries. 

He should've lost the weight and been extra motivated these last few years.  The fact he waited till a contract year to do so, tells me that it is not disrespectful at all to say so.  I like Najee.  I think he's very solid.  He carried the team to wins, especially in Ben's last game.  He ran a LOT harder than usual there.  That's another reason I say he coasted.  I've seen him at full effort.  We didn't see THAT very often from him at all.  

I hadn't heard that Kahn said he would continue that tradition.  Everything else changed, so it's logical to think that might change too.  If it had been discussed otherwise, it's news to me.  I don't follow stuff nearly as closely as I used to.  I watch 25% as much football as I did prior to their little protests and all that other crap.

I think the point is clear.  THey are going to pay a lot of money for the Oline.  Just about any RB can run behind it.  Najee really offers nothing that a day 3 or UDFA could not offer.

• Like 1

Najee has the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL the last 3 years. While he has more carries than most, this was behind a crappy O-Line, with crappy QBs and a crappy OC.  I don't even "like", Najee that much but the comments suggesting he's no better than any other RB are ridiculous. IF he had been drafted in the 3rd round, we'd all be shouting what a great find we got. But he has admittedly not lived up to his draft slot. But that doesn't change the results. I understand the side of not wanting to pick up the 5th year but his performance has been solid at the very least. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Najee has the 4th most rushing yards in the NFL the last 3 years. While he has more carries than most, this was behind a crappy O-Line, with crappy QBs and a crappy OC.  I don't even "like", Najee that much but the comments suggesting he's no better than any other RB are ridiculous. IF he had been drafted in the 3rd round, we'd all be shouting what a great find we got. But he has admittedly not lived up to his draft slot. But that doesn't change the results. I understand the side of not wanting to pick up the 5th year but his performance has been solid at the very least. 

It is all about what he is worth paying.  If you think he is worth $8M per year then great because his next contract will be asking at least $8-10M.  Is he worth that?

If he had been drafted in the 3rd round I am sure they would resign him for $4-5M per year.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

It is all about what he is worth paying.  If you think he is worth $8M per year then great because his next contract will be asking at least $8-10M.  Is he worth that?

If he had been drafted in the 3rd round I am sure they would resign him for $4-5M per year.

The new contract wasn't the question. The point being made is that his performance has been devalued. Is it possible to find a late round or UFA to play as well?  Sure. Just look at Warren. Is it the norm? Absolutely not. Here's a fun exercise, imagine Warren was the one who was drafted in the 1st and Najee was the UFA. Would there be more love for Warren or Najee? Would we pass on Warren's 5th year option and lean on Najee? I think we know what the popular answer would be. Would I sign Najee to a $8M contract? Nope. Would I have picked up the 5th year option? Yep. Call me naive but I really think we can make a deep run in the Playoffs within the next 2 years. So again, what I was focusing on is the inaccurate statement that they can find any RB at any time to do what Najee has done and that he has not been effective. I do not agree with those opinions. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

I think the point is clear.  THey are going to pay a lot of money for the Oline.  Just about any RB can run behind it.  Najee really offers nothing that a day 3 or UDFA could not offer.

if the OL is legit, the RB will have the yards. They did it with Bell, then DWill and Connor.  Harris  needs to get the old elite pay for RB's out of his mindset. In 2024, not just armchair GM's but people in FO's know this by now, and the days of the RB getting overpaid are long gone. 

OL always should have been top priority, but colbert had other ideas. Imagine what this team would be like if he was still in charge? Bottom 5 team  

6 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

if the OL is legit, the RB will have the yards. They did it with Bell, then DWill and Connor.  Harris  needs to get the old elite pay for RB's out of his mindset. In 2024, not just armchair GM's but people in FO's know this by now, and the days of the RB getting overpaid are long gone. 

OL always should have been top priority, but colbert had other ideas. Imagine what this team would be like if he was still in charge? Bottom 5 team  

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Najee ever demanding a lot of money. In fact, I don't recall him saying much about his contract or 5th year option at all. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

I may be wrong, but I don't recall Najee ever demanding a lot of money. In fact, I don't recall him saying much about his contract or 5th year option at all. 

He hasn’t said much at all but he was part of that group of RB’s who zoom called to talk about getting better pay and bigger guarantees.

Here’s the list of participants:

Christian McCaffrey, Najee Harris, J.K, Dobbins, Nick Chubb, Derrick Henry, Jonathan Taylor, Josh Jacobs, Saquon Barkley, Aaron Jones, Tony Pollard, and Joe Mixon were in attendance for Austin Ekeler’s Zoom Meeting in collaboration with the NFLPA to discuss the depressed market for backs, per league sources.

Edited by warfelg