Najee NO 5th yr Option

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

what if the new FO has had enough and wants to clean house?

they had no problem overpaying mitch and chuks, so why not keep Harris for what appears to be a decent amount? I can only think that they want to see how he is in the new offence and go from there.    Why not keep the plays that work for Najee and this new OL, and go from there?

The FO might also have a low fixed cap value for the RB room, and Warren will be getting most of that.  If the draft is loaded with RB's in 25, factor that into the reason

I think this OL could be good at both schemes, and that would add pressure to the defence.  

How would a durable player like Harris feel about being snubbed like this by a team that overpaid and overdrafted players like KP, mitch, chuks etc...?

It's not always that simple. If it's a formation that they won't typically use, it becomes similar to Canada's offense in that the defense will KNOW a run is coming. The plays are all somewhat dependent on the setup. If you don't have the setup plays, the plays that worked become plays that don't work easily. Should they try to adapt things that worked for Harris in those plays? Yes, probably, but it doesn't always translate.

• Like 1

Maybe moving on from Harris is the product of the collusive running backs fighting for each other to get paid and stop being undervalued because they are prone to injury and shorter careers. I don't blame them, as it's not really fair, but this is a business and that is a business reality. Harris will be next on the forefront of that issue and sounding board, so maybe it's just not worth it to the Steelers because he is not an elite back. He's already been quite vocal, and I believe Saquon shouted out to him to be next in line in the fight. 

3 hours ago, AFF said:

The option was for $6.8 mill…I’m not worried about 800K in an offseason with them having $90-$100 mill in cap space with serious issues at secondary and DL and possibly QB.

I want them to be able to concentrate on 3-4 areas instead of more.

And here’s the thing…you have to replace him whether it’s in all likelihood a 2nd-4th round pick or a vet that costs a few mill still.

If they had cap issues or a young guy in the pipe 3rd on the depth chart I’d understand it a lot more.

Jaylen Warren is 25 years old and better than Najee Harris.

Also, do not sleep on Daijun Edwards. 

1 hour ago, C$! said:

Its also good to remember that Harris was a Colbert pick. Maybe Khan and Weidl have a different opinion on how, if at all, Harris fits with the team moving forward.

The unfortunate reality for running backs is they are the most replaceable position in the league at the moment. Even if Harris balls out, the Steelers might still let him go and replace him with a cheaper option. I am sure if Harris has a big year, he would still want an extension before going into his option year. 

Hit the nail on the head. 

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

The question none of us have the answer to was if this was the first time it was talked about. 

I mean, I got opinions about the option being declined but I’m declining to say them because I think they would be unpopular. But the long story short is I like Najee, but committing that money to him without seeing him in those offense (which a lot of people claimed they saw a fit issue with) is not the best thing to do. 

I'm curious about your reasoning.  Being unpopular shouldn't stop you lol.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I agree they could resign him, but if I were doing him a solid and working in the future interests of the team Id be working on the extension for this year , guaranteeing this years money and only half of next years. The future guarantee seems to be a lot of the teams trip up in most contracts/negotiations. 

The other hand the vast majority of running backs begin their decline after year 26. The anomaly is similarly or more productive running backs 27 years of age and beyond. Also Jaylen Warren is due for a contract next season, who has less wear and has been more productive per touch throughout their careers. 

I would be surprised again if they didn't have some long term intention with Najee because of Tomlins supposed admiration for him. It can be a cold business. 

I would be in favor of that. Get part way through the season to see how he fits, and extend him 2-3 years.  I agree that 27 is where you see the decline start usually.  Definitely age 28.  But for sure 30+.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

I'm curious about your reasoning.  Being unpopular shouldn't stop you lol.  

Najee was a high mileage back coming into the NFL. I was a big Entienne fan because of the low carried but explosive running. So I felt Najee was always going to be a one contract RB. 

I wouldn’t do it with Najee on the 5th year because big backs that take 300 carried for 1000 yards isn’t that hard. He’s barely crested that in 18 game seasons. I’m a fan because he does get a high number of 20 yard carried and breaks many tackles but that’s about all he does. 

I think he’s a ‘nice’ player. A replaceable player. I think Warren benefits from Najee’s load. But what unlocks Warren is replaceable IMO. 

I think if any RB or their agent gets “disrespected” and wants to get his player out of a situation is barking up the wrong tree unless they are one of a few RBs (CMC, Josh Jacobs) that are real game breakers. 

One thing I think Kahn is really proving too is he’s got an absolute pulse for what’s going on around the nfl. He’s really plugged in with agents and knows what other teams are thinking. If he’s not picking up the option it likely means he knows what Najee’s market is as of right now. 

I got more but I’m literally at a Cinco pub crawl with the fiance (she works for Corona/Modelo/Pacifico) and too tipsy to add more. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Jaylen Warren is 25 years old and better than Najee Harris.

Also, do not sleep on Daijun Edwards. 

I wasn’t taking a dig on Warren when I mentioned age.

It was in regards to having a replacement on roster for Harris after he leaves next offseason…I’m actually assuming he’s going to get a medium level extension this offseason or next March before FA starts.

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

That’s not what the point was. 

Why does it matter if you do this in 2025 (good RB draft) or 2026. 

Huh? Who’s saying sign him long term?

Again. Huh? If the guy isn’t part of the long term view then keeping him around is just wasting snaps, cap, and time. 

For the record - I personally wouldn’t extend Najee over $6mm. But the gamble of having to franchise/transition tag him at the end of a great year is worth not guaranteeing $7m now. I honestly find it strange you want to pick up the option because of all the cap space but the gamble of an extra $4-8m isn’t worth it. 

I don’t understand your logic at all.

Hes a known player and because his salary isn’t prohibitive at all…just keep him and let him go after 2025.

You mentioned offering him a 3 year deal IIRC(if you didn’t I must be thinking of somebody else)

Again…I don’t want to waste picks in a draft that they likely will not have a lot of if they trade up for a QB.

I don’t know…we’re just not on the same page here and its just best to agree to disagree on this one.

20 minutes ago, AFF said:

I wasn’t taking a dig on Warren when I mentioned age.

It was in regards to having a replacement on roster for Harris after he leaves next offseason…I’m actually assuming he’s going to get a medium level extension this offseason or next March before FA starts.

And my point is they could end up wanting to feature Jaylen Warren more and have him be the guy they give an extension too. I also genuinely think they could want to see how Najee looks in Arthur Smith's offense first. 

• Like 2

Long thread that I know won’t post well on this site, but I think it’s a fair thread. 

Khan getting his fingers into team building and not valuing paying running backs, makes a lot of sense. Business is sound. 

Drawing that line at a one year deal when you have nothing but money flexibility and having the example be your best leader in that room through 3 years of crap is a bit different though. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, AFF said:

You mentioned offering him a 3 year deal IIRC(if you didn’t I must be thinking of somebody else)

I suggested 2 year of giving more this year while not having full gtd money next year, effectively giving him tag money now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Najee was a high mileage back coming into the NFL. I was a big Entienne fan because of the low carried but explosive running. So I felt Najee was always going to be a one contract RB. 

I wouldn’t do it with Najee on the 5th year because big backs that take 300 carried for 1000 yards isn’t that hard. He’s barely crested that in 18 game seasons. I’m a fan because he does get a high number of 20 yard carried and breaks many tackles but that’s about all he does. 

I think he’s a ‘nice’ player. A replaceable player. I think Warren benefits from Najee’s load. But what unlocks Warren is replaceable IMO. 

I think if any RB or their agent gets “disrespected” and wants to get his player out of a situation is barking up the wrong tree unless they are one of a few RBs (CMC, Josh Jacobs) that are real game breakers. 

One thing I think Kahn is really proving too is he’s got an absolute pulse for what’s going on around the nfl. He’s really plugged in with agents and knows what other teams are thinking. If he’s not picking up the option it likely means he knows what Najee’s market is as of right now. 

I got more but I’m literally at a Cinco pub crawl with the fiance (she works for Corona/Modelo/Pacifico) and too tipsy to add more. 

I think that's a really fair assessment.  I personally like Najee.  I also think he's replaceable.  I think most players in the NFL, especially on offense outside of QBs, are very easily replaceable if you have a competent front office to pick them and coaching staff to develop them.  There are exceptions of course, with premier C and OTs, and premier players like Justin Jefferson or Travis Kelce, and of course Christian McCaffrey, being the obvious ones.  But, even though people want to say that it's disrespectful for a RB to be treated the way they are financially, it is a business and that's how it works.  If you have an OL and a system, any RB will do within reason.  Obviously you'll get varying levels of returns from that, but it'll be comparable enough to either get the job done, or not.  I've always been a fan of "get the QB and the OL in place and up to par, and the rest will take care of itself".  That's why teams like the Vikings who always draft 1st round WRs and RBs, while not having a franchise QB and sometimes not even an OL, never go anywhere.  I live in Viking territory and go to their games, so I follow them as closely as I do the Steelers, so they're a perfect example because of my historical knowledge and because they're the poster child for it IMO.  The Steelers at least tried to address the position, but in some ways I wonder if we could be heading to what the Vikings were for so many years now.  Got a potential has-been in Wilson at QB, who at 35 may be able to return to form.  Pretty good everywhere else.  That'll result in picking too late to draft high enough for a real franchise QB, and always be mired in mediocrity as a result if Wilson or Fields aren't the answer.  Cowher's Steelers were like that too really.  But they built up the OL and defense, rather than the skills positions with high draft picks.....in other words, they built up a team the right way.  One down year to pick at #11, and here's Big Ben and instant SBs.  

Anyway, I got way off track there.  Every year I look at the draft and think "damn, there's a handful of backs that could be damn good, on day 2 or 3".  Why would you burn early picks on a RB, or give them a huge contract, unless they're game breakers.  Christian and Saquon are my gold standards for RBs coming out of the draft.  Saquon, if he could've stayed healthy and played for a complete team with an OL would've been unstoppable as a runner, and solid as a receiver.  Christian is such an X Factor due to his versatility.  The 2 best I've ever seen by far.  Heck, Warren is a perfect example of that.  He certainly doesn't pass the measurables test, but he just runs so hard he kinda negates all of those negatives (small and very unathletic).  

I hope you're right about Kahn having his finger on the pulse of the league.  Colbert and Tomlin were a terrible combination for years and years.  Glad that's finally broke up.  I think that Weidl is the key here, if he's really the one responsible for addressing the trenches now.  Hopefully the new OC can make Tomlin look competent again too.

One more point on Najee and the cap space.  I've seen people say that we have the cap space now, so why not use it on Najee?  Well, it's that first rule of business:  opportunity cost.  Lets say that someone unexpectedly hits FA next year, or is available in trade (Justin Herbert for the heck of it since they have a new coach there).  Lets say they would cost 50 mill.  Lets say you would have 53 free without Najee, but 46 with Najee.  Do you want to miss out on signing or trading for someone like that, because you have 7 mill guaranteed to Najee already?  Obviously you can move things around and make room elsewhere, but just throwing that out there.  It might also preclude you from drafting one of those many "stud" RBs that are supposed to be in next year's draft.  

• Like 1